Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in New York

Likes (received)

Cool Roppokai

Hello,

There is also A Roppokai School in the NYC area.

Thanks,

Howard Popkin

docflagen@yahoo.com

Daitoryu-roppokai.org

Likes (received)

Default Re: Roppokai

Originally posted by Howard Popkin
    Hello,

There is also A Roppokai School in the NYC area.
    Hi,

Is there a dojo in the 5 boros? The website gives a Nassau or Suffolk number for the dojo.

Thanks,

Gene McGloin

Likes (received)

Smile Roppokai

Hi,

It's Nassau, but it is very close to the LIRR stop so many people from NYC have no problem getting here. It is on the Babylon line- 40 minutes from Penn Station.

Howard

Likes (received)

I am looking for Daito-ryu dojos in the New York City area with instructors directly associated with one of the three main lines of Daito-ryu in Japan.

That associated with Kondo Katsuyuki
    or Takumakai or Kodokai

Likes (received)

Peter, if you haven't already done so, take a look below at two threads already started regarding NYC AJJ.

Likes (received)

Hi Devon;

Could you post the names of the threads - there are a lot of threads none seem very specific to the what I'm looking for.

Without trying to step on toes - there seems a lot of Aikijujitsu schools out there with connections to the source which are not exactly clear.

The person I am asking for as very clear relationships to Shodokan Aikido Honbu which is a style derived from a pre-war student of Ueshiba. The relationship to Daito-ryu is quite strong and I think it would do him a world of good to explore the relationship.

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Thanks Devon - I've passed on the information.

bigaikidoguy Guest

Default New To this forum!

Gentlemen,

I am new to this forum and I am interested in Daitoryu. Is it possible for some of you to list ( partial is ok) your experience with Daitoryu. As an Aikidoka it has been difficult to find anyone teaching real Daitoryu in the United States, but this forum seems to have many experts on the subject.

I live in NYC. Any direction to someone in this area would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Sorry for listing this twice!

Michael Hunt
    Bigaikidoguy@yahoo.com

Dan Harden Guest

First,
    There are no experts here. We do not post on anything of substance. You won't find anything of true value written here.

S
    econd,
    Why not just stick with Aikido. There are any number of people here that will tell you that all the arts are the same, and all the principles are too, and no art is more effective than any other, and all Aiki is what was taught in the sword arts from three hundred years ago. Just ask them. The Aiki of DR is just Judo and that’s the same as JKD. There are "just so many ways to move the body"…or so I am told.
    I know guys who see a dog lift its leg and its Karate to them. Kendo Is Shinto ryu. Just ask em. Everything is applied universal theory.
    So, if you have studied TKD or Goju or Aikido or Mikes Kooratee at the mall- you already know Daito Ryu. You just didn’t know that you knew. So why bother?

Think of it like seeing the rich fertile fields of Tuscany in the dirt of your own back yard. It’s all the same right?
    So could stay home You’ve seen it all..

What makes you think you will see something you don't already know?
    Why the Daito ryu?

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 4th January 2002 at 16:34.

Likes (received)

Wink

I think now it's time for Nathan to play the "good cop" part...
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Hi Dan,

Sounding a bit jaded, perhaps?

Just kidding I'll give a reason. Since it is a commonly accepted fact (nowadays, anyways) that aikido comes from Daito ryu, my main reason for studying Daito ryu when I can, is that it informs my aikido practise. Understanding the locking, entering, and mental/psychological differences has proved to be a benefit to me personally in my struggle to improve both my technique and my understanding of the development of aikido. I have also found it possible to incorporate all of the principles outlined by Kondo Sensei's book on Daito ryu into my aikido practise.

That said, my exposure to Daito ryu is at such an elementary level that I cannot say if continued exposure will yield the same benefits. I am hopefull though. Part of the reason for that hope is that I practise a style based on the prewar training of Gozo Shioda. Part of that hope is based on the fact that Gozo Shioda continued to train under Horikawa Sensei, long after he "left" Ueshiba Sensei. Part of that hope is the gushing enthusiasm of ignorance. Ah such bliss!

Ron Tisdale

PS above I say "long after". Upon further qualification from someone I trust, I'd like to amend "long after" to "sometime after".
    RT
    Last edited by Ron Tisdale; 4th January 2002 at 22:07.

Likes (received)

Default So much for the "good cop"

Contributors might want to hold off on entertaining Mr. Hunt's request until he has answered my post on the Takumakai thread.

This is his second post on e-budo, and his "real" name happens to be the same as a pretty worn out forum-troll name.

Hopefully Mr. Hunt, from "somewhere in NY", will set the record straight for us.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Dan Harden Guest

Hi Ron

Mr Big was being sarcastic. He knows whats up and he was slamming those that post here and alluding to the "expertise" that he, and he alone, claims they supposedly portray.

I was returing his sarcasim, and just being sarcastic in general about all this stuff.
    There are guys here that have been in Budo for most of their lives and not one of them speaks about anything as if they were an expert either.................so much for that nonsense.

I have an idea where MR. Big comes from and he is simply flipping the bird to all and sundry.
    It is one of the reasons I have jokingly said in the past that the Aikijujutsu forum is a forum that .......ain't.
    No one ever talks about it.

Nathan
    My guess is that He's not a troll- we may even know him.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 5th January 2002 at 12:15.

bigaikidoguy Guest

Default Name

Firstly, let me say that I had no choice in this name and after this experience I wll consider changing it.

Second, I don't exactly understand. If none of you claim to study Daitoryu or have practiced it in the past, what is there to talk about?

I have studied Aikido under Saotome in his dojo in Washington D.C., but now reside in NY.

I asked Saotome Sensei once about Daitoryu, because he made mention of it in one of his books. His response was less then informative, but he knew enough about it to make it sound like it was an important thing, that's all.

Mr. Keen was kind enough to respond to me personally, but it doesn't seem that anyone else really has much to say except insult a new member of the forum.

Aikido, like most budo, is supposed to be a path that leads us towards positive actions and reactions to people. I can only imagine what most of you might do when someone really needs help.

Michael Hunt
    Queens, NY

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast