Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Aikijujutsu in New York

Likes (received)

Mr. Hunt,

If you are being serious, and your given name is really Michael Hunt (say "Mike Hunt" fast a few times), then you might want to reconsider how you presented yourself here.

Your email address, user profile and user name, and the tone in which you posted - not to mention the questionable "real" name presented - all point to someone who is most likely immature at best, or provoking and aggressive at worst.

Some of us have been on the net for a relatively long time, and have developed pretty good instincts about new members.

I do not see why it is necessary for anyone here to defend themselves or the contributions they make in this forum. My public credentials can be found on my web page, and perspective on managing this forum at the top of this forum.

As Dan said, nobody on this forum has specifically presented themselves as an authorized spokesman for a Daito ryu branch. This is done deliberately so that there will not be any confusion with forum contributors misrepresenting their arts. The majority of the information posted and discussed in this forum is historical in nature, and was obtained through publicly published English language sources.

This is a discussion forum, not an experts forum. If you have something to contribute, please do so. If you have a reasonable question that can be posed in a polite fashion, please do so.

But I will enforce the forum policy posted at the bottom of the forum pages.

Respectfully,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Nathan,

Note that Mr. Hunt hasn't used the name "Mike" in his sig. His question sounded on the level to me, and I didn't sense any sarcasm or phoniness. But then, maybe I'm just being naive.

Michael,

As the others have said (in all sincerity), no one here considers himself an expert, but they are sincere practitioners and exponents of these arts. They're also a bit skeptical because a lot of people appear out of the blue and ask very up-front questions about Daito-ryu and who-does-what. Most DR schools are very conservative and do not share information about their art.

Traditionally, someone who was truly interested in pursuing a particular art -- especially a classical one -- would do so discreetly by writing private letters of inquiry, finding someone connected to the ryu to provide a letter of introduction, or something like that. They wouldn't broadcast an announcement that they were looking for a school. They don't come to you; you have to go to them. It's part of the traditional etiquette. That Brently-san wrote to you privately, is a gift to be appreciated.

If you are serious in your pursuit of information about DR, there are numerous posts on this website addressing the art. I'd also recommend Stanley Pranin's book, "Daitoryu Aikijujutsu" (Conversations with the Masters). It provides a historical backdrop that will be valuable.
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 5th January 2002 at 09:02.
    Cady Goldfield

bigaikidoguy Guest

Default thanks

Cady,

Thanks for your response.

I don't understand something. When someone looks up information on Yamada, it isn't improper or boastful to say that he trained under O'Sensei.

I am just looking for information about someone, or really anyone who studied Daitoryu. Really for just a starting point, I guess.

Thanks for writing.

Michael Stuart Hunt.

Likes (received)

Michael,

DR just is a more conservative art than aikido. Its exponents keep things "within the family," and don't talk openly about their ryu or its teachers. Don't take it personally. You'll just have to do some homework.

Besides Stanley's book, I also recommend that you subscribe to his on-line Aikido Journal (boy, I hope he gives me a discount for all these great "plugs" I'm giving his stuff! ), which contains lots of articles, and more, on Daito-ryu. Do the legwork and you'll be rewarded.

Cady
    Cady Goldfield

Dan Harden Guest

Mr. Hunt

Assuming you are sincere-a few pointers.

We only talk about things "relating" to Budo and most of the information offered will be documented source material to aid in research or knowledge.
    If you do a little research you will find many people here who train in classical arts. NONE of them-not one-claim to be expert in anything. Your use of the term is equal to calling someone a "grandmaster" or some similar nonsense. Further, you will find that we seldom -if ever- talk about our affiliations or teachers. I have seen several people actually refer to their own schools in the third person-as if they don't belong, still others have disavowed any connection unless asked directly.
    If you don't understand it - learn.
    Get involved- and you will be the same way and understand.

Do you know people who call themselves experts in their arts?
    Did Saotome teach you this?
    Do you speak for him or just represent him?

Ahhh......... bet that pushed a few buttons neh?
    that's why we shy from affiliation.

Most Architects and Doctors I know of like to think of themselves as "practicing" their disciplines. I haven't met the person with enough experience (or should I say ignorance) to call himself an expert yet.

Funny that you hailed from a location that had Daito ryu, studied under a teacher who knows Daito ryu teachers, and you now reside in a place that has Daito ryu-but you haven't heard of anyone "in" it. How coincidental.

As Nathan pointed out your post pushed too many buttons......up went our troll alert.

And with sincere people we are very nice. The real information happens privately-if at all.

Regards
    Dan
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 5th January 2002 at 13:33.

bigaikidoguy Guest

Cool thanks

Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I thought I was doing research.

I think I get it though.

I wouldn't want to say that I actually got it because that would be claiming expertise or affiliation with sarcasm-ryu jitsu do.

On a slightly different note, what is the point of discussing something with someone when neither person has a point of reference? Still slightly confused. Nonetheless, I will strive to make politically correct internet posting part of my self-education process. Apparently I'm still a novice in that art.

Thanks for your help.

MSH
    Last edited by bigaikidoguy; 5th January 2002 at 13:42.

Likes (received)

Mike --

If doing research, it is possible that you would find something of interest at one or more of the following links:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~DE6S-UMI/index.htm
    http://www.daito-ryu.org
    http://www.daitoryu-roppokai.org
    http://www.shinyokai.com

As for Daito-ryu being hard to find, well, I have to agree with Dan. I mean, when Corporate MoFos write about aiki jujutsu in New York, you know it can't be all that hard to find.

http://www.corporatemofo.com/stories...ts_schools.htm

bigaikidoguy Guest

Default WOW

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Apparently I have opened a huge can of worms.

I recieved an e-mail from a Jason Brinn. I don't know who he is, but I think you will get the idea and meaning of his letter.

I will quote it for you!

This is not the entire letter, but it is a direct quote!

[EDITED BY NATHAN SCOTT BY REQUEST OF JASON BRINN. SEE ADDITIONAL POSTS FOR MORE INFORMATION. NS]

He then went on to discuss [TWO OTHER INSTRUCTORS. NS] and didn't have nice things to say about them either.

Maybe I should just say I'm sorry, and move my research somewhere else.

Thanks anyway,
    MSH
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 11th January 2002 at 21:13.

Likes (received)

Cool

Michael -- When quoting private e-mail in a public forum, it is customary to omit the name of the person who sent it to you. After all, had that person chosen to post publicly, then presumably s/he would have.

Dan -- I didn't know so many people knew you so well!

bigaikidoguy Guest

Default sorry

Joe,

Sorry about the breach in protocal, but when someone is badmouthing lots of people, it's wrong.

He deosn't even know me, I might be this recurring troll, as I have been called.

Ever hear of a 6'5, 265 pound troll?

Michael

bigaikidoguy Guest

Default hi

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm truly sorry that I intruded on your website.

It seems that someone asking a genuine question isn't welcome.

To those of you that were helpful, Thanks!

If there are people who are interested in helping someone locate an instructor, I'd be happy to hear from you via e-mail.

Happy New Year.

Michael Hunt
    bigaikidoguy@yahoo.com

Dan Harden Guest

Well Mike how very sweet.

1. He doesn't have my training right.
    2. I don't squelch conversations- I contribute-sometimes at length.
    3. No we don't talk about technique or principle. Did you catch the points I made about the Aikijujutsu forum being the forum that isn't?

4. Toby "does" join in as well and we have had lenthy, detailed and fun conversations- but not about jujutsu. You won't hear him talk much about his arts much either. Pop on over to the sword forum for most of what we write about. You wont find much of anything here.
    AND-- We take each other in stride when we disagree.

5. I don't know about Brently- I never trained with him. Nor do I accept a single persons opinion (though he is most certainly entitled to one) And Brently would not speak ill of those others so I dismiss everything else the guy had to say.

6. And Secrets?
    What secrets?
    Want ot hear the biggest secret of all?
    S-W-E-A-T

There are over a couple of dozen people who practice DR here who won't talk about it, their schools, or their training either...
    So not wanting to talk about it is keeping secrets?
    Maybe he's right and we're all idiots.......or the there is the strong possibility that it is just me.

Silence and witholding information means lack thereofe Yes?
    If you know something you must tell people on the net yes?
    hmmmm.....
    All the mall koratee dojos tell everyone everything and advertise.
    the koryu and many gendai arts relatively silent.
    hhhmmm..........Interesting logic
    Be sure to tell the hundreds of others here who won't post details about their arts either. I am sure they will be equally thrilled at this guys logic as well. I could point you to several threads spanning years, where the participants refused to talk about technique or details of any kind as well.

BTW you just reinforced Nathans precautions about you being a troll. And thanks for letting us all know what a big and beefy boy you are.
    Surprised you haven't offered us a picture or something you bigaikidoguy you.

Bye bye now
    BIGaikidoguy

SimplyDan
    or simpletonDan

P.S.
    Hey Joseph......you internet site quoting librarian
    (I still don't know how you and Nathan do it)

Yes, I guess to know me is to love me.

Nathan
    Did you catch his comments about being a re-occuring troll
    I guess you get an A+ for sniffing them out everytime.
    Last edited by Dan Harden; 5th January 2002 at 20:49.

Likes (received)

Wink Say what?!

"Squelching conversations"?! Holy guacamole, Batman! It's all I can do just to keep myself from babbling on and on like an idjit!

Cady
    Last edited by Cady Goldfield; 5th January 2002 at 20:49.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Cady --

Babbling like an idiot: I like that.

Dan --

Another possible description for me is suggested by Ned Pepper's address to Rooster Cogburn in "True Grit." You know the speech -- "Bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."

On an unrelated note, a minor correction: Brently *has* been known to speak ill of people. If you doubt this, just get him going on Bill Clinton sometime. :grin:

Meanwhile, as long as I'm quoting movies for a change, I think this line from "Hombre" is apt for aikijujutsu and other non-commercial martial arts:

Diane Cilento: "Then can you tell me why we all keep trottin' after you?"

Paul Newman: "Because I can cut it, lady."

Elmore Leonard always did have a way with words.

Likes (received)

Joe,

That's "idjit." It's in the same category as MO-ron.

Cady
    Cady Goldfield

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast