Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Budolicious (cookbook)

Likes (received)

Default Budolicious (cookbook)

I am thinking of making an online cookbook of our member's favorite recipes, along with budo and Japanese history related articles on food.

Basically, members will submit their recipes and I will compile them into a PDF or something...

Anyone interested?
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Sounds good to me, I'll toss in some contributions. When do you want these by? Just post it here, an email or do you want a word attachment?

Likes (received)

Default I'm There Dude!

Eating is what I do best! In fact, I am a 12th degree Godlike Divine Master of Yakiniku!

Lemme know what you want.
    Matt Stone
    VIRTUS et HONOS
    "Strength and Honor"

Ginzu Girl Guest

Cool Yeah baby!

I'm in.

Likes (received)

Cool "ninja recipes"

Iga Ninja Diet

The above link contains recipes for "ninja food."
    It is from a Japanese historic research site, so hopefully contains more fact than fiction.

Enjoy!
    Marc McDermand

TysonWalters Guest

Indian Potatoes

1 tsp of black mustard seeds
    ½ tsp of cumin
    1 inch cube of ginger chopped up finely
    1-2 chilies
    1 ½ tsp of ground coriander
    ¼ tsp of tumeric
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper
    ½ of lemon, fresh juice
    1 ½ tsp of salt
    ¾ tsp of garam masala
    ¾ cup of water
    4-5 medium potatoes
    3 tbsp of ghee

1) Boil potatoes until cooked, strain, and allow to cool. Once potatoes are cool, break them up by hand into small bite size pieces on to a plate, and set aside.
    2) While potatoes are cooking, arrange spices in 7 small bowls according to the order they must go into the pan.
    Bowl 1) Black mustard seeds, Cumin,
    Bowl 2) Ginger, Chilies
    Bowl 3) Ground coriander, tumeric, cayenne pepper,
    Bowl 4) Salt
    Bowl 5) Water
    Bowl 6) Garam masala
    Bowl 7) Lemon
    3) To start, place ghee in wok, and heat until it melts. Keep the stove burner at a high temperature. Once ghee is hot, add contents of bowl one, and allow spices to cook until black mustard seeds start to pop.
    4) Next, place contents of bowl two in until ginger starts to brown slightly.
    5) Next, place contents of bowl three in, and mix all the spices together until they form a even mixture.
    6) Add Potatoes and stir until they are coated evenly, allow the potatoes to cook until warm, about 1 ½ minutes.
    7) Add salt, and then water. Mix together and allow dish to thicken. Allow to cook until warm.
    8) To finish add garam masala, and then lemon juice, stir evenly and serve.

This dish serves about 3-4 people, to feed more, double ingredients.

Heres a reciepe for you all

T. Walters

Likes (received)

Default Easy stir fry

Everyone claims they do good stir fries and most everyone lies.
    This is a really simple one that is almost impossible to screw up and everyone seems to like.

Vegetables - whatever strikes your fancy, simply make sure they are all diced in roughly the same size pieces to ensure even cooking. Onions work well in this so unless you hate onions, get some in there. I use broccoli(chinese broccoli too), carrots, cauliflower, and asparagus most of the time. It works well on most types of cabbage too.

Meat - Use whatever you have on hand, but the same as the veggies, make sure the pieces are all roughly the same size.

Keep the meat and veggies seperate from each other in large bowls.

Pour about 2 tablespoons of canola or light olive oil on the veggies. Add one finely sliced clove of garlic, salt and pepper as pleases you. Mix gently but throughly until the veggies are well coated with the oil. Let sit for about 10 minutes.

Do the same with the meat but add a generous splash of soy sauce to the meat if you want.

Heat a skillet on high until a drop of water immediately starts dancing in the skillet. A non stick pan works best since you will not add any more oil to the pan before cooking. Cook the meat first, making sure to sear the pieces well. Just before the meat is cooked, add a splash, about 1/2 to 1 shot, of cognac and stir well in the pan. Make sure you don't lean over the pan when you do this.

Set the meat aside in a bowl. Now do the same to the veggies. Cooking this way will carmelize any onions and the garlic in the veggies very nicely and add a sweeteness to the veggies.

As the color seepens and changes on the veggies, about 2 to 3 minutes depending on the quantity you are cooking. Add about 1 to 1-1/2 ozs of water and a 1/2 shot of cognac, stir quickly, and cover the pan for a minute. This will steam the veggies nicely. Now add the meat back in the skillet, stir and let sit for a minute to get the flavors well blended.

Serve with steamed rice and a cold beer.

Likes (received)

Does it have to be Japanese food? I only know good Japanese restaurants like Toyoda Sushi .

How about some great Italian recipes or cheesecake?

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

I don't see why you should limit yourself to Japanese food. I post Japanese-ish recipes because that's what I like to cook. Certainly I eat other things, but I *love* cooking Japanese food (I'm sure it has something to do with the ryoribashi ^_^). But if you cook Italian, or Dessert, then by all means I think you should post your favorite recipes.
    James A. Crippen

Likes (received)

Cool Food

Tell me what you want (Italian, Spanish, French, Morroccan, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and British ((contempory)) being my main areas of expertise) and I will give you recipes,instructions tips on cookery processes and all the tricks of the trade

Soke Chef at your service.
    Andrew Brandon

I stopped by "The Frog & Toad" last weekend to visit Andrew.
    He makes some mean "bangers-n-mash"..........best I have ever had.
    Anyone living in Tokyo should stop by Andrew's place ("The Frog & Toad" in Roppongi), great food and good beer.

Likes (received)

For anyone that likes Shime Saba (Mackerel marinated in vinegar) You might like to try the Philippine dish KINILAW.

Slice up your rawfish preferably large slices. Any rawfish is ok but mackerel seems to be best. Finely chop fresh ginger. Diced or sliced cucumber and spring onions. The rest is up to you. A bit of tomato, some other salad vegetables, a few hot peppers?

Put this all in a bowl

Vinegar: Usually Philippine coconut has peppers in it. If you cannot get that some nice vinegar with a little finely chopped halapeno will do. Lastly canned coconut milk. You can make it without the milk but I like it with!

Half a cup of each poured over or enough to cover and marinate if you have made a lot.

Stir and put in the fridge. Stir again later but leave for a few hours to marinate.

Philippina but Oishiiiiiiii

Hyakutake Colin

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/

Likes (received)

Default coconut shrimp

You can also use scallops in place of shrimp, larger are better.

6 tiger prawns, fresh if possible, raw frozen are acceptable but thaw fully prior to cooking. Remove shells prior to cooking.
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch pepper
    1 tblspoon butter or clarified butter( clarified butter is less likely to burn)
    Zest of 1/2 lemon or lime. Small Mexican limes- usually sold as "limon" are good for this recipe, use the zest of 2 if using these.
    1/2 cup coconut milk or cream. Coconut cream is sweeter and usually has sugar added. It will burn fast, so be careful.
    Optional- a sprinkle of curry powder works well, as does a sprinkle of crushed almonds or peanuts

Preheat a sauce pan on high for 5 minutes. Add and melt butter, quickly add shrimp to pan, salt and pepper. The shrimp will cook fast so keep a close eye on them. Flip to cook evenly and add lemon or lime zest to the top of the shrimp. When the shrimp are almost done, add the coconut milk or cream to the shrimp and let it start to bubble.

Remove from heat and serve. Add a light dusting of curry powder /and or nuts on top if you choose. A light squeeze of lemon or lime juice works well too.

Chiburi Guest

Great idea! I love food, I love cooking...

Call my servant when it's finished and send it to my cook. .p

No, really. I like the idea because I'm kind of a culinaristic character..

Cheers,

James23 Guest

Default Tempura

Here's a very good Tempura recipe - a long post, but worth it!

First some background.

TEMPURA is one of the most familiar of all Japanese dishes, both at home and abroad. This familiar national dish finds its place in the Kyushu section because it was almost certainly invented in Nagasaki – not, however, by the Japanese. Between 1543 and 1634 Nagasaki was the center of a great community of missionaries and traders from Spain and Portugal. Like homesick foreigners everywhere, they did their best to cook foods from their home countries, and batter-coated and deep-fried shrimp happened to be a particular favorite throughout southern Europe. The name tempura (from Latin tempera meaning 'times') recalls the Quattuor Tempora ('The Four Times', or 'Ember Days') feast days on the Roman Catholic calendar when seafood, especially shrimp, were eaten. When the dish became Japanized, however, its range was extended almost infinitely. Beef, pork and chicken are almost the only things not prepared as tempura, and these all have separate deep-frying traditions anyway.

Favorite foods for tempura treatment include shrimp, scallops, eggplant, snow peas, sweet potato slices, mushrooms of all sorts, string beans, carrots, peppers, squid, zucchini, small whole fish, lotus root and okra (ladies' fingers). The crucial factor in making good tempura is the batter. This should be so light and subtly-flavored that it could almost pass as an elaborate seasoning.

Tempura

Yield: 6 servings

1 lb Raw shrimp, deveined
    2 Green Peppers
    1 Carrot
    1 sm Eggplant (1/2 lb
    1 md Sweet potato
    6 Shiitake mushrooms
    6 Inch piece raw squid
    2 md Onions
    Vegetable oil (peanut oil)

BATTER
    2 Egg yolks
    2 c Ice-water
    2 c Sifted all purpose flour (preferably cake & pastry flour)
    3/4 c All-purpose flour
    1/4 ts Baking soda

DIPPING SAUCE
    1 c Ichiban dashi
    3 tb Light soy sauce
    1 tb Mirin
    1 tb Sugar
    1/4 c Grated daikon (white radish)
    2 ts Fresh ginger, grated

The amount of ice-water determines the relative heaviness or lightness of the batter – for very light, lacy tempura, add more water. The flour should be barely mixed with the other ingredients – to achieve real lightness, the batter should look lumpy, undermixed and unfinished-looking, and it must always be prepared just before you use it; thoroughly mixed, silky batter that has been allowed to 'set' and settle simply will not produce good tempura.

Preparation: Score the shrimp a few times crosswise on the underside, to prevent them curling-up during deep-frying. Tap the back of each shrimp with the back-edge of your knife. Core and remove the seeds from the peppers; trim and slice into strips. Wash and scrape the carrot; cut into strips about 1 1/2" long and 1/8" wide. Peel the eggplant, leaving 1/2" strips of the peel intact here and there for decorative effect. Cut in half lengthwise, then into slices 1/4" thick. Wash the slices and pat them dry with kitchen towelling. Peel the sweet potato and slice it crosswise into 1/2" rounds. Cut the mushrooms in half. Cut the flattened piece of squid into 1/2" squares. Cut the onions in half. Push toothpicks into the onion at 1/2" intervals, in a straight line. Then slice the onions midway between the toothpicks. The toothpicks will hold the layers of onion together in each of the sliced section.

Pour the vegetable oil into a large pot or electric skillet. The oil should be heated to about 350 degree F.

Make the batter in two batches. Place one egg yolk into a mixing bowl; add one cup of ice-water and mix with only one or two strokes. Then add 1 cup of flour, and mix as before, with only a few brief strokes. Prepare the second batch of batter when the first is used up. The batter should be lumpy, with some undissolved flour visible. Check the oil for heat: drop a bit of batter into the oil; if the batter sinks slightly beneath the surface, then comes right back up surrounded by little bubbles, your oil is ready.

Dip each item into flour first this ensures that each ingredient is perfectly dry and that the batter will adhere well. Then dip in the batter, shake a little to remove any excess batter, and slide into the oil. Fry each piece for about 3 minutes, or until lightly golden. In order to maintain the oil temperature, make sure that no more than a third of the surface of the oil is occupied by bubbling pieces of frying food. Remove the pieces from the oil and drain for a few seconds. Then transfer to your guests' plates, also lined with attractive absorbent paper. You may also keep tempura warm in a 250 degree F oven, no longer than about 5 minutes.

To make the dipping sauce: combine the dashi, soy sauce, mirin and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat until the sugar has dissolved and serve warm, with a little grated daikon and ginger on the side for each guest to combine with the dipping sauce according to taste. Dip the tempura in the sauce and eat.

Tempura can be served with rice. This is called ten-don. Put warm rice in a bowl or on a plate and place tempura on top of the rice. Pour on two or three tablespoons of tentsuyu. Another popular way of serving tempura is over a bowl of noodles. This is called tempura-udon or tempura-soba, and it is traditional Japanese fast food.

There are many variations in tempura frying. You can mix two or three vegetables and fry them together. This is called kakiage style. So be creative and invent your own style.

Man, I'm getting hungry!

James23

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast