Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yamashigi Ju-Jutsu

yamamatsuryu Guest

Question Yamashigi Ju-Jutsu

Howdy folks
    Out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of Yamashigi JuJutsu? I cannot find any information through Google about it, so I thought I'd ask the people here in the JJ forum. Any help would be beneficial

Jared Albrecht

Likes (received)

Default Yamashigi

Quote Originally Posted by yamamatsuryu View Post
    Howdy folks
    Out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of Yamashigi JuJutsu? I cannot find any information through Google about it, so I thought I'd ask the people here in the JJ forum. Any help would be beneficial

Jared Albrecht
    Yes. I have studied Yamashigi Aiki-Jujitsu for three years and have achieved a Brown Belt. Yamashigi means Mountain Bird, Referring to The Eagle. It is an extremely affective Martial art. It was developed to Train CIA agents to dispatch an opponent Quickly, and Decisively in the field. This art has Greatly strengthened my ground work, as well as my in-close fighting. It is an Amazingly Powerful Martial Art. I continue to practice and teach whenever I have the opportunity, even though I have found no Practitioners in my present location. I have found this art to be more useful Than my many years of Karate and it can be used well into my late 50's when I find much of my Karate' training relies too heavily on physical dexterity. I have had no trouble retaining the knowledge and ability to preform this art and my recall and reflexes have been instant and sharp if not practiced for as much as a year and a half. It has also increased my confidence level exponentially. Yamashigi has been some of my best years of training without a doubt.

Donald W. fraser II

Likes (received)

Well since we all sign our names here and since you say you our over 50 (like me) I am going to assume your post isn't a hoax or a young kid blindly repeating something a questionable teacher said. Still extraordinary claims should have extraordinary proof. The idea of the CIA developing a martial art, giving it a Japanese name and throwing aiki to boot just seems a little extreme. Strange how most government martial arts programs use acronyms L.I.N.E., M.C.M.A.P. etc. And the CIA in general isn't in the business of fighting, they largely collect and analyze data. When the government actually want to fight even in a covert operation that what SEAL teams are or for a bigger fight a Marine Corps BLT.
    So here goes questions that deserve answers:
    When did this CIA martial art start?
    Who were it's founders?
    Do you have any independent documentation of it's existence?
    What was your instructors relationship to the CIA?
    Does he have any documentation to that effect?
    As I said this may be on the up and up, but sure sounds like the guy who said his Navy frogman work got him a medal which he had to give up because it was so secret. If it was so secret how come he told me. And where did his discharge paper and DD-214 go to.
    Respectfully,
    Len McCoy

Likes (received)

Len

Good question/s.

I spent some time--not much I'll admit--but some--online trying to track down some of the statements you highlighted and found nothing.

Of course the CIA is not the secret keeping organization it once was but if they developed an entire martial art with a ranking system no less, there should some info on-line about it.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davinciogo View Post
    Yamashigi means Mountain Bird, Referring to The Eagle.
    Funny. The only yamashigi I could find was the Eurasian woodcock.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    Funny. The only yamashigi I could find was the Eurasian woodcock.
    Wow. It seems I may have poked the bear. LOL

My Sensei is a little too busy to be bothered

with all that hassle just to settle a bet or prove a former students casual claim in some internet

chat room. I have not made any outrageous claims that need to be proven, or disproven.

I fail to see the importance either way. If you want a pissing contest, Find some teenager or 20

something. I used to argue my Sensei can beat Your Sensei but I gave it up at 15 when I realized

MA is more about camaraderie and respect than who's Kung Fu is Badest.

Not to be rude, but I am a very busy man so I'll get to the point. It is not important
    to me if you believe me or not. I just answered a question as I was taught by my
    Fourth degree Teacher. I don't have dates or verification. I did not say it was
    developed by the CIA. It was simply developed from already existing art forms and
    condensed to make teaching quick and the art affective. I did say it was done so for the purpose of
    training field agents. Again, not to sound rude but whet does it matter? I know what I know and could not care what the original
    intent of it's development was or whether it was taught to agents or not. It is (in my opinion) a good blending of Aikido and Jujitsu.
    I consider it an art worthy of respect. I have been studying Martial arts since the age of twelve and
    I love all styles with rare exception. I believe the superiority of one art above
    another relies mostly if not entirely on the artists ability as opposed to the superiority of the art. As for the existence of Yamashigi, I can and did vouch for it since I have been, and still consider my self to be a student. You should maybe study another art form since Yamashigi is very rare and since there are other very affective art forms more readily available. Again no hostility intended. I enjoy martial arts too much to quibble about who's art is better. I do however, find your implied accusation as to the authenticity of Yamashigi, and my statement a little rude, childish, and borderline obnoxious. I am 56 years old and I feel no need at this stage of my life to prove myself or to compete in childish disputes. I simply thought it might be nice to speak withadults and other Martial Artists about our love and Practice of our craft. In short, I came across a question regarding an art form which I am familiar with and I tried to help answer the question. I hope this is not an example of the type of mutual respect and intellectual collaboration I can expect from this chat room. If so, I will decline from participation in the future. and let you boys have your fun.Please enjoy your pursuit.

Thanks, Don Fraser

Likes (received)

Don

Honestly don't what to say to you.

Why would you automatically assume "rude" "childish" and "borderline obnoxious" when all people are doing is asking specific questions??

If I was an discussion board and I claimed to have a "PHD in Applied Technology from the University of Kyushu" would if really be that strange if another poster would say "Hmm I live in Kyushu and teach at the University of Kyushu--and I don't recall ANY such program or department......and the school is not actually called "The University of Kyushu.....can you tell me more?"

Don't see why anyone would have a problem with answering questions.

Len asked very strightforward questions, I couldn't find anything on-line neither could Andrew.

How is anyone to learn anything without asking questions?

BTW you said above:

"I did not say it was developed by the CIA."

Yet in your first post you stated:

"It was developed to train CIA agents."

Those are both direct quotes, from you, so I'm confused.

Sorry that your experience was different from what you expected. But IMO "mutual respect" requires give and take from ALL parties involved and "intellectual collaboration" requires questions to be asked and answered.

Personally I'd like to hear more about your art--but that is up to you.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

Likes (received)

OK. Maybe I did jump to the wrong assumption about intent and attitude. It is very difficult to perceive tone and emotional content fro a chat room thread. So with that, I apologize. Your response is refreshing and encouraging. Not exactly what I was expecting. In my defense, go back and read my fist posting. I did not say it was developed BY the CIA. I wrote it was developed to train the CIA. A minor difference, but one that completely changes the meaning of the statement. Here is a cut & Paste of that thread: It was developed to Train CIA agents to dispatch an opponent Quickly, and Decisively in the field. I have simply Relayed what we were taught in class. I don't have any documents from a class I have not attended In 7 years. It is also 1800 miles from my current location since I have since moved. In any case, it is a blend of Aiki and Jujitsu. I like it and I have found it to be very affective. I was simply chatting. I don't have the time to hunt down documents. So I apologize if it is expected to do so. Thank you for your understanding response. Sorry about my reaction to the response.

Take care and have fun training, Don Fraser

Likes (received)

This has to be one of the record holders for resurrecting a sleeping post, nearly 13 years!

Don, we try to remain open minded about styles that none of us have heard about before, and our curiosity is genuine. I do not tolerate the blind nay-saying that you might see on other boards. But as I'm sure you can understand there are a large number of people out there making outrageous claims, and one of the things we like to do is try to expose people who are preying on the unwary with false claims. Many of these are excellent fighters and there is no reason why they should not teach, provided they do not try to mislead people.

I would not expect you to defend the claims made by your instructor, especially as a Brown Belt. What I would expect is that you would let us know who your instructor is/was and where he teaches so that we can ask respectful questions of him.

If everything is above board, then this can be very good advertising for the instructor or school, an endorsement from a message board with a long history and good reputation.

I hope you take our questions in the spirit they are intended, if you are unwilling to provide any further information, that is your prerogative and this thread can die off quietly.

Regards
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

10. Likes mkrueger liked this post
    Likes (received)

Yes. I have studied Yamashigi Aiki-Jujitsu for three years and have achieved a Brown Belt. Yamashigi means Mountain Bird, Referring to The Eagle. It is an extremely affective Martial art. It was developed to Train CIA agents to dispatch an opponent Quickly, and Decisively in the field. This art has Greatly strengthened my ground work, as well as my in-close fighting. It is an Amazingly Powerful Martial Art. I continue to practice and teach whenever I have the opportunity, even though I have found no Practitioners in my present location. I have found this art to be more useful Than my many years of Karate and it can be used well into my late 50's when I find much of my Karate' training relies too heavily on physical dexterity. I have had no trouble retaining the knowledge and ability to preform this art and my recall and reflexes have been instant and sharp if not practiced for as much as a year and a half. It has also increased my confidence level exponentially. Yamashigi has been some of my best years of training without a doubt.

Donald W. fraser II
    Oh shit, oh dear.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

With Respect,

I do not wish to be part of the Guardians of Truth concerning all things |Martial Arts. Nor do I wish to be a foot soldier in the thought police of that same fictitious organization. I have made the mistake of assuming this was a chat room of mutual interest for casual discussion. I am obviously mistaken. My Bad. I will not give out any information for the purpose of hassling a man or Dojo for a teaching session simply because a certain acronym was used. It does not matter what the art was intended for, or who it was taught to. My Sensei was not and is still not interested in Glory or money. He is no saint, but he is a good man and does not deserve to be dissected for yours or anyone else's approval or rejection. I was accused by one of you of being delusional and of trying to impose that delusion upon others. Not True. I do not place the same importance on government organizations that some of you seem to. I was not impressed in class the night it was mentioned and I am still not impressed enough to defend the statement which I made in casual passing conversation. I made the mistake of assuming I was speaking to friends with like passion who simply wanted an answer to his question, and a brotherhood of MA. I have never seen or experienced this need to dissect and scrutinize the statements people make. Why do some of you think it is your responsibility or right to place yourselves in such a high and lofty position. I think this smacks of a witch hunt, or some kind of MA thought patrol. Study your art. Discus among FRIENDS. exchange free thought without provocation or intimidation. Learn from one another. But if we turn on and wound each other, all our training is ineffective and we are not worthy of it because we destroy ourselves.
    Surely the AIKI-DO practitioners out there know what I am saying. The philosophy of Harmony and peaceful co-existence is otherwise pointless.
    The truth is, I was ambushed because I used the acronym CIA. It does not matter who the art was taught to, or who was with what organization when they taught it. I could have said Romper Room and it would have been no different. the credibility of any art is in the Practitioner, not the claims made or unmade. I only mentioned the acronym for the purpose of accuracy. I was not trying to impress anyone. I couldn't care less who the art was taught to. None of us check out a studio or Dojo with the prerequisite that it must have been taught to U.S. Marines, or the Imperial Guard, Ninjas or any other organization. Most of us were drawn for various reasons. Some of us had ulterior motives and hopefully became better people in spite of ourselves. Some just wanted to stop getting beaten by their fathers or the school bullies. Some had different reasons altogether. We know whether our art is affective after our first fight once we've had a moderate amount of training. We don't need the Guardians of truth to protect us. It would seem to me I am not the one with the delusions. I am a simple middle aged man with multiple ailments who gave up trying to impress anyone years ago. I am just trying to practice MA with few resources and saw a familiar question on a chat room BB that I stumbled across while looking for something else. I thought an occasional discussion might help to keep my mind sharp and I might miss my good friends from the Dojo a little less. Please believe me when I say, I am truly sorry to have unintentionally crashed your group. I assumed as a MA student, that I was welcome. I don't feel welcomed. I'm not welcome and my friends would not be either. I think we are done here. This was my first chat room of any kind. It is also my last. This may be what some of you enjoy doing, but I'm just trying to find ways to keep my mind sharp, and my body moving. I would prefer to do it among friends where I don't have to watch my back so much. I had enough of that in the service. It is all too well guarded for me. I am going to try to cancel my membership to your BB. In any case, I am gone. Thanks to some of you.

All my best and God Bless all of You,
    Goodbye

Likes (received)

For starters:

. Yamashigi means Mountain Bird, Referring to The Eagle.

Erm..., actually, ヤマシギ-yamashigi, means "mountain bird," referring to the Eurasian Woodcock-so not "Eagle jujutsu," but
    "small wading bird that digs in the ground for worms and grubs jujutsu."

Name:  Woodcock.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  83.4 KB

I'm not even going to get into the "CIA" stuff..........maybe he meant Culinary Institute of America?
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Don

You know I tried, I really did--gave you every chance in the world and then you say:

"I was accused by one of being delusional and trying to impose those delusions upon others."

Actually that is the quote in my SIGNATURE line and at no point did I ever "accuse" you of trying to do it.

You also laser parsed your statement about the CIA--trying to make a distinction between "developed BY" and "developed FOR" when clearly the important part of the sentence was "CIA." In any case while there is a technical difference between by and for--it is certainly not enough to quibble about.

"I have never seen or experienced such a need to dissect and scrutinize the statements people make"

Then you are an incredibly lucky man whom has had the good fortune to have only encountered good and noble people---sadly that has not been my experience.

"My teacher is a good man and does not deserve to be dissected"

Maybe he is and maybe he is not--point is we don't know him. So we only have YOUR statements to judge. Its also worth pointing out that NOBODY is questioning his "goodness" just the claims of the CIA and the meaning of the name of the art.

Its seldom EVER about peoples skills or who they are as people. It is however OFTEN about their specious CLAIMS.

"I don't feel welcome"

I'm sorry to hear that--seriously.

But you seem to be confusing a blind willingness to accept anything and everything some dude on the net claims is true as according-to-Hoyle, verified facts as being "unwelcome." Not really the same thing at all.

I'd say more here but I'm late for my date with 2 Victoria's Secret Supermodels.

You believe me right??? After all I'm speaking to a "friend" and as an "aiki" student you understand the importance of "harmony" and it would be DIS-harmonious for you to question my statements.

See what I mean?
    Chris Thomas

15. Likes elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

Yes Chris, I see what you mean. I am sorry for my attitude and the way in which I expressed myself. I regret some of what I have stated and I regret completely the way I came across. I may have taken to heart too much here say. I have a tendency to believe most of what people tell me and as a result, have failed to verify their claims at times. It seems to be the case this time. At least some of the information I was told seems to be not entirely accurate. I believed it all to be accurate until now. Discussion is a good thing, although not entirely painless at times. To clarify: Yamashigi is not an Eagle, but a small wading bird that digs in the ground for worms and grubs. And in the future, when speaking of Yamashigi Aiki-Jujitsu, I will refrain from using that acronym which shall not be named. I am sincerely sorry. Thank you for being the voice of reason. You are much appreciated.

Now I have a question for you. Are they current or former V.S. Models. And please let me know ho the date goes.

Thanks again, Donald W. FraserII

17. Likes elder999, Anders Pettersson liked this post
    Likes (received)

Again, I am sorry guys for getting stuck in that mindset. I sometimes get tunnel vision of the brain. I think the episode has passed and I will try to be more clear minded in the future. Sorry for accusing some of you of being un friendly and hostile when in fact it was me with the chip on his shoulder. You would think I would have learned to avoid falling into that pitfall by now. So much for becoming wise with age? although I am joking around a little to try to mask my shame, I mean what I say. Thinking themselves to be wise, they become as fools. apropos, Right. Still I love MA and will continue to Practice and share what I have learned with others. Maybe I will be more careful what I say about it.

Don Fraser

19. Likes elder999 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast