Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Yamashigi Ju-Jutsu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davinciogo View Post
    . To clarify: Yamashigi is not an Eagle, but a small wading bird that digs in the ground for worms and grubs.
    Thanks for taking things in the spirit in which they were intended, and your sincere statements.

To be fair, some of us-myself especially-can be a bit snarky online, especially when we're skeptical-sorry for the feather ruffling....

And, to be fair, "yamashigi" might be an alternate rendering of Yamashita, and you did study it in Washington, right? Just another thread to unravel.....one, that in fact, might lead to the CIA....
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

From what I can find from some looking around online, Yamashigi may have been devised by the late Sid Woodcock 1924-2011, known for his involvement in the design of the Detonics brand CombatMaster line of 1911 style pistols and student of various martial arts it seems:

http://www.nationalgunforum.com/general-gun-discussion/27198-1911-s-2-patent-holder-just-died-rip-sid-woodcock.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Comba...830539&sk=info
    http://www.orientaloutpost.com/forum...pic.php?t=2965
    http://books.google.com/books?id=IvZ...artial&f=false
    http://www.rebelyellguns.com/forums/...ge;topic=443.0

He's also mentioned as having served in the US armed forces and was involved with different agencies back in the day.

Devon
    Last edited by Devon Smith; 13th December 2013 at 21:29.

3. Likes mkrueger, elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

Nice work Devon. I appreciate you sharing what you found.

The problem with martial arts and the Internet (and partly why I suspect real names are required here) is because every wacko practicing their own version of a self-invented Ameri-do-te comes out of the wood work.

Being questioned isn't an attack, it's an invitation to get into the details about the art that you love. Where that becomes a problem is when a person comes in here, makes a claim and then is forced to face the fact that no one is going to believe them "just because they said so."

Likes (received)

I know I have apologized and I do not want to resurrect that Horrid conversation we finally put to rest, but I can't allow the mess I made of it stand uncorrected.

So Here is what I know:

Yes I am from Washington. I know where my art originated. I am not a Black belt in Yamashigi, just a Brown belt but still I place a high value on what I have learned. I was taught that Sensei Woodcock is the founder of Yamashigi and He worked with the OSS which became the Cia and He later worked with the Cia and other Government agencies. He has many students there in Wa. My Sensei is one of those students. This does not seem like an outrageous claim to me. Just what I was taught and I believe it to be true. I just wanted to set my record straight. There is more but this should suffice. Sensei woodcock was an amazing well rounded Martial arts Master. A true modern day Warrior. He was so fast, even into his eighties. Check him out in the internet. He was great. I know that does not make me great, just him. It would be a shame if he and his contributions were forgotten. Research it for yourselves and see if this is true.

Sincerely and with all respect, Don Fraser

6. Likes elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Devon Smith View Post
    From what I can find from some looking around online, Yamashigi may have been devised by the late Sid Woodcock
    And when is a "small wading bird that eats grubs and worms" a little more deadly than a mere eagle?

When it's a Sid Woodcock....

I'll now go to my corner and eat some well-deserved crow.... (see what I did there.... )
    Last edited by elder999; 14th December 2013 at 00:56.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Likes (received)

Hi Donald,
    Thank you for the information. I have an interest in the history of US military combatives. In hindsight wish I would have asked with a little more tact. I seem to have some problems posting from my computer or I would have gotten back to you sooner.
    Respectfully,
    Len McCoy
    Last edited by len mccoy; 14th December 2013 at 00:52. Reason: spelling

Likes (received)

Hello Mr Fraser,

Welcome to E-Budo. I am one of the administrators of the forum.

I have been a member for many years and (though I am biased ), I think it is an excellent general martial arts forum. Many members have been practicing their respective martial arts for many years and have studied both the arts and their cultural backgrounds very deeply. So there is a wealth of concentrated knowledge here.

I think you can make a few generalizations that apply to any art. There is the aspect of art: a means of achieving proficiency in some kind of focused, skilled activity. There is also the martial aspect: the art is dedicated to achieving a particular purpose in a particular way and has a specific external and internal structure.

Since the art will have been created by some person or persons, there is also the aspect of transmission: how it was created and taught; how successive practitioners learned the art from their own teachers.

Martial arts and their teachers & students have been around for a long time and in a forum like this the generalizations I sketched above will lead to scrutiny, and, of course, questions, about any particular art.

So, welcome, once again and I hope you will look around and explore the other areas of this forum. The fact that you are new here does not at all mean that you do not have anything to contribute.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

I never met Sid Woodcock. He was a pretty remarkable guy, however, from all I heard. Guys I know at a police training unit had him visit one time and he bluntly took apart the Philippine-based knife fighting methodology they were practicing, and in a very matter of fact way, described, "this is how you kill someone with a knife and this is what happens next." My friend, who was there, described it as matter-of-fact, and very creditable. He was part of a group of martial arts guys in the Seattle area, some of whom were really pretty impressive: Among them was Tchoung Ta-chen, Dave Harris, Jesse Glover, and Steve Smith, come to mind. Woodcock was one of these guys whose stories were so unbelievable that one would roll their eyes when hearing them, and then, out of nowhere, friends tell me, one or another would be substantiated. A mixed reputation, to be sure. He was an expert witness regarding the improvised explosives at the Columbine massacre. I had his number and location for a number of years, and always meant to get in contact with him.

11. Likes elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

Mr. Peter Goldsbury, Thank you sir for your insightful and encouraging words of wisdom, and to you Len McCoy for getting to the party late but still coming anyway. Of course I have to say thanks to Aaron J. Cuffee for his patience and for being the voice of reason. (starting to sound like some awards acceptance speech) LOL But seriously, I like your sense of humor and generally kind disposition.

Sincerely, Don Fraser

13. Likes elder999 liked this post
    Likes (received)

Don

Honestly glad to be able to get things talked out.........communication is never easy and the nature of the net makes it MUCH harder.

I would have gotten back to you sooner but my daily battle with work resulted in an overtime draw with a weekend rematch.

In any case, hope to learn more about your art and see you around the boards.

Oh......in answer to your previous question.........they were former Victoria Secret models......the current pair were to busy with some kind of TV Show/fashion shoot this week and were unable to make the date.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Hello all, I just happened upon this thread when "googling" about and created an account specifically so I could help clarify a few things. First of all, yes the art of Yamashigi Aiki Jiujitsu was developed by Sid Woodcock Sensei. I am aware of the claims as to Woodcock Sensei's connections to all of the government agencies and Martial organizations and though I cannot personally confirm I have no reason to doubt. It is also claimed by the author of the book "Combat Master - Sid Woodcock and Detonics". http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Master-.../dp/1105480763 I am unfamiliar with much of his association in the western side of Washington (Seattle area, etc), however I hail from the Tri-Cities on the Eastern side where Woodcock Sensei was instrumental in the establishment and teachings of the Richland Dojo where the instruction of his art lives on through the wonderful Sensei of the Richland Dojo's Yamashigi Aiki Jiujitsu class. Currently the head instructo is a John Dawson Sensei (Rokudan I believe). There are also several other wonderful Sensei who are still assistant instructors, many of whom were fortunate enough to have trained with the great (sadly late) Woodcock Sensei, whom I unfortunately never had the pleasure.

Another of his students not mentioned previously in this thread is the impressive James Keating from our neck of the woods, whom I'm sure some of you may be familiar. http://www.jamesakeating.com/jakg.html

In any case I'm not sure there were really any ties between the Art and any agencies other than of course through Woodcock Sensei himself; so really this part of the history may have just been a misunderstanding. I have a booklet somewhere at home as to the origins of the Richland Dojo and Yamashigi Aiki Jiujitsu, I will see if I can dig it up from somewhere.

I'm pleased to meet you all and wish you all well.

-Steven.

Likes (received)

Steven

My questions are more of an academic nature so you may or may not know the answers. Thank you in advance for trying.

And please forgive my ignorance with some of the questions.

-Do you happen to know where the name of the school came from?

-Ellis Amdur alluded to Sid Woodcocks ability with weapons--such as knives. Is weapon work part of the training? and if so, what weapons are used?

-Don and yourself have mentioned Aiki-Jiujtsu, and the art being a mix of jujutsu and aikido--if I understood correctly.

Do you mean more like Pre-War aikido? Literal aiki-jiujutsu--like the Daito etc. groups. Or more of composite thing developed by Sid Woodcock?

Again, NOT questioning its efficiency or effectiveness. Some very senior people on the board seem to know about him. And I'd rather ask than stay ignorant.

Anything your willing to share would be welcome.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by cxt View Post
    Steven

My questions are more of an academic nature so you may or may not know the answers. Thank you in advance for trying.

And please forgive my ignorance with some of the questions.

-Do you happen to know where the name of the school came from?

-Ellis Amdur alluded to Sid Woodcocks ability with weapons--such as knives. Is weapon work part of the training? and if so, what weapons are used?

-Don and yourself have mentioned Aiki-Jiujtsu, and the art being a mix of jujutsu and aikido--if I understood correctly.

Do you mean more like Pre-War aikido? Literal aiki-jiujutsu--like the Daito etc. groups. Or more of composite thing developed by Sid Woodcock?

Again, NOT questioning its efficiency or effectiveness. Some very senior people on the board seem to know about him. And I'd rather ask than stay ignorant.

Anything your willing to share would be welcome.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread I believe the "Yamashigi" is in reference to Woodcock Sensei's last name. As far as Aiki Jiujitsu, as it was explained to me and from what I've researched, actually references the Samurai Koryu. Aiki Jiujitsu is a category of "family" style martial arts passed down through Samurai families and in the later, more recent years, taught to those who were not necesarily so. Both Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei and Jigoro Kano Sensei developed their respective systems from the preceding Aiki Jiujitsu style/s they learned in their earlier years. This is not to say that Yamashigi is from a Samurai family, but I believe it was his way of presenting a "warrior art" to "his family" in the tradition of the Aiki Jiujitsu in which Aikido, judo and some brazilian jiujitsu can be seen through it's techniques.

Concerning weapons, I know we have touched upon knives occasionally during my training though it did not seem to be a major part of the curriculum. I do know there is a Jo form that is practiced, reminiscent of Aikido. Like Aikido, however, you can see that a lot of the techniques were desgined in response to the use of a bladed weapon (though maybe not as effective with the knife fighting you see from practitioners now who seem to favor the Fillipino arts). I know Woodcock Sensei was skilled in many other areas, but it does not appear, at least to me, that he included all of these aspects into his Yamashigi Aiki jiujitsu.

I hope this was of some help to your queries; I wish I was more versed in the history of the style and the man himself, but for the most part we didn't get into it too much. I am attempting to make it out to this class more often and one of my goals will be prying into it's history a bit more.

-Steven.

Likes (received)

Steven

It was...thank you.

I missed the play on words with the last name the first time around.
    Chris Thomas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2