Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kage-Ryu

Likes (received)

Question Kage-Ryu

Hi all. It is my understanding that the Kage-Ryu which teaches use of the choken, and was founded by Yamamoto Hisaya Masakatsu is not the same Kage-Ryu of Kamiizumi Nobutsana, from which the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu evolved.

Is this correct, and if so, are there still practicioners of this latter Kage Ryu (Nobutsana's), or is this one dead? Also, does anyone know if there were also other 'Kage-Ryu's'?

Advance apologies for my ignorance and thanks for your replies.

David Craik

Kit LeBlanc Guest

Default Go here

David,

Hyakutake from E-Budo is a member of that ryu.

Check this out:

http://www.bunbun.ne.jp/~sword/

The choken are really cool.

ben johanson Guest

Kamiizumi called his school the Shinkage ryu as distinct from the other Kage ryu of Yamamoto Masakatsu. It is believed that Kamiizumi studied the Kage ryu and formed his own school based on what he learned from Yamamoto and from Matsumoto Bizen no kami Masamoto, the founder of Kashima Shinryu. He named his school "Shinkage" ryu most likely to distinguish it from the original Kage ryu (Shin in this instance meaning 'new').

As far as I know, the original Shinkage ryu of Kamiizumi has not survived intact, its teachings instead being passed down (and most likely significantly altered to the point of unrecognizability) through the Yagyu Shinkage ryu and others.

But then again, there are countless ryuha that are still extant that no one even knows of except for the families that perpetuate them. Perhaps somewhere in Japan, hidden far away from public view, the tradition started by Kamiizumi Hidetsuna is being kept alive. Its unlikely, but you never know...

Likes (received)

I'm not the best person to reply to this question, but I have spent a bit of time reading up on Kage ryu.

The earlier Kage ryu that you referred to is more properly known as "Aisu kage ryu", and is said to have been founded by Aisu Ikkosai (1452-1538). It is supposed to have been of the earliest types of formalized ryu-ha, along with others like Shinto ryu, Nen ryu, Itto ryu.

Kamiizumi Hidetsuna studied the Aisu Kage ryu, and formed his own "Shinkage ryu" afterwards, as mentioned. For some reason, Hidetsuna is sometimes credited in various writings as having created Kage ryu, though I don't know why.

The Kage ryu still extant in Kyushu, studied by Hyakutake Colin, is derived from Taisha ryu. Taisha ryu is derived primarily from Shinkage ryu, so whethr or not Shinkage ryu (Kage ryu) methods are included in the long sword tradition of Hyakutake's Kage ryu I don't know. Hopefully he will come on and ellaborate.

But these are two different ryu-ha. I see at least 12 "Kage ryu" listed in the Bugei Ryu-ha Daijiten, using either the same or different kanji. But I don't have time to translate them all to see what they are about.

Shinkage ryu, AFAIK, is not being taught in it's entirety under the independent name Shinkage ryu. Yagyu shinkage ryu adapted the Shinkage ryu technique and subsumed the curriculum, Owari kan ryu sojutsu is said to have subsumed the entire Shinkage ryu curriculum, Jikishinkage ryu, and Komagawa Kaishin ryu claims to have maintained the most original transmission of (armored) Shinkage ryu.

Regards,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 23rd January 2002 at 21:59.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nathan Scott

The Kage ryu still extant in Kyushu, studied by Hyakutake Colin, is derived from Taisha ryu. Taisha ryu is derived primarily from Shinkage ryu, so whethr or not Shinkage ryu (Kage ryu) methods are included in the long sword tradition of Hyakutake's Kage ryu I don't know. Hopefully he will come on and ellaborate.

But these are two different ryu-ha. I see at least 12 "Kage ryu" listed in the Bugei Ryu-ha Daijiten, using either the same or different kanji. But I don't have time to translate them all to see what they are about.

As it says on my webpage my kage translates as keshiki (a view, perspective)

The techiniques and objectives seem to be far flung from the shadow kage, shinkage. or shinshinkage.

Hyakutake Colin

Likes (received)

Thanks for the insight. I'll have to spend more time at your web page!

Regards,
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)