Likes Likes:  0

Thread: You Rattle My Brians, yadda yadda by Jerry Lee

Likes (received)

Default You Rattle My Brians, yadda yadda by Jerry Lee

I moved this to a more appropriate location: Judo.

“Mr. Beish you added man handled, I did not, what I said was. He through me over and over again until I was dizzy. It was not a shia we where in randori and I had just failed to throw him and he was teaching me Ashi Harai because my Kuzushi was to weak. I assure you the attitudes where correct.
    He was the Sensei on the matt that day.

My point was that Sensei McCarthy had just ipponed Scott over and over with clean technique and with the proper attitude.”

My point being that as flawed as my old memory is now what you stated sounded strange. I didn’t mean to be mean, or whatever. My days in Judo remind me of how cautious our higher friends would take care of us younger guys; and throwing us all over the place was frowned on by the higher ups..

During my visit there in 2002 the curator of the Kodokan museum, , Murata sensei, and I sat and talked for some time about our days in the early 1960’s. He remembered many times when we GI gaigin would be there for some event or special Judo type instruction with Kotani sensei, Murata occasionally helped out. He showed me a photo of him taken then and I recognized him as one of our Judoka partners (friends) in some smaller dojo in the Kodokan. His cauliflower ears showed he had done his share of shiai. We also talked about the changing Judo and our mutual disapproval with it.

In those days we would work with Judoka, young or older, and never paid any attention to who they were or their rank, or whatnot, we all wore the same colored obi and paid respect to each other as though the other was Kano himself. For some higher ranking Judoka to bully or rattle someone’s brains, or over work in randori was unheard of. The only brain rattling there or any other dojo in Japan or Okinawa was done during training for shiai, period! The fundamental aspect of Judo training is mutual respect, and other stuff.

Likes (received)

Well sir I certainly have not trained in Japan. I was training at Karl Geis dojo in Houston and the gentleman I mentioned was visiting from Japan he was a medical doctor working on research here at our Medical Center. He was a very skilled Judoka who Sensei Geis had leading our classes the entire time he was in Houston which was several years. This was while Sensei was undergoing some major surgery he usually watched our classes from his chair on the sidelines and added what ever needed to be said along the way.
    I was a big young strong guy at the time and I competed occasionally, nothing worth mentioning really, but there where a group of us who where the competitors of the dojo and we all had an agreement to go a little harder with each other to prepare for shiai. I had no problems with being tossed about it was by agreement. Thanks for you’re over sight in moving this as it was a bit off topic although I don’t see how it deserves the band width of starting a thread over, I am just not that important Sir! -----Lots of laughter

I also do not like the direction Judo has taken just in the brief time I have been in the martial arts but I am not at all interested in taking up the banner to try and change it either. I have a few long time judo friends who are like brothers to me but I am not involved in the judo community anymore.
    Chris McLean
    Martial Arts student

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McLean View Post
    Well sir I certainly have not trained in Japan. I was training at Karl Geis dojo in Houston and the gentleman I mentioned was visiting from Japan he was a medical doctor working on research here at our Medical Center. He was a very skilled Judoka who Sensei Geis had leading our classes the entire time he was in Houston which was several years. This was while Sensei was undergoing some major surgery he usually watched our classes from his chair on the sidelines and added what ever needed to be said along the way.
    I was a big young strong guy at the time and I competed occasionally, nothing worth mentioning really, but there where a group of us who where the competitors of the dojo and we all had an agreement to go a little harder with each other to prepare for shiai. I had no problems with being tossed about it was by agreement. Thanks for you’re over sight in moving this as it was a bit off topic although I don’t see how it deserves the band width of starting a thread over, I am just not that important Sir! -----Lots of laughter

I also do not like the direction Judo has taken just in the brief time I have been in the martial arts but I am not at all interested in taking up the banner to try and change it either. I have a few long time judo friends who are like brothers to me but I am not involved in the judo community anymore.
    Tell Karl I said he should be more careful in supervising his dojo. Also, ask him when he was last in the cockpit of a P-47; he'll certainly know who I am. It has been more than 30 years ago since it has last BS'ed about flying.

And stop calling me sir, just because I’m nearly as old as he is doesn’t make me a “sir.” All Judoka are important and we learn that through experience; we are equals although some are more experienced than others.

When I worked out at the Kodokan I was a little 133-pound punk and an old worn out rokudan knew better than mess with a young shodan spoiling for a fight. I am also one who does not participate in formal Judo now.

This phony baloney 27-year old, 22nd dan karate expert gets me in a dither so I am an old curmudgeon and it takes me some time to cool down.

Likes (received)

Ok I will try to stop calling you sir but that may take some time. LOL My dad taught me to show respect for my elders so that is where the sir comes from but, I got you, glad you still come around here and share with us. I stop in and visit Sensei once and a while, his son and I are still very close I'll pass it on.
    Chris McLean
    Martial Arts student

Likes (received)

Karl is one of the good "good old boys" of Judo. We all go way back. I think the last time I saw him we were in Bossier City some time in the 1970's, sitting in the hotel bar yakking about flying and other sorted tales. I

was stationed in Texas in the 1960's with Robby Robinson and Wayne Atkins, Texas Heavy champ, so we all got to know each other. He and I were close with our late friend Rick Mertens and go back to the 1950's Judo. Oh well, that's all I have now -- talk.