Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Mas Oyama and Jon Bluming: untold accounts

Likes (received)

Default Mas Oyama and Jon Bluming: untold accounts

There is wide recognition for the accomplishments of Jon Bluming, who was a protegee of the Great Mas Oyama. There are unique accounts from Bluming about his time in Japan and about the teachings of the legendary master. However, some of these accounts should put in perspective:

So I heard (from legit source) that at the time, just before their falling out, Oyama visited the Netherlands to straighten out a dispute with Bluming. During one of their meetings, Bluming was trying to negotiate a lower membership fee, which is normally due to the Honbu (head organisation) in Tokyo. Oyama rightfully, did not accept this, and at one point during their conversation, Oyama hit the steel top of a solid table, which was in the room, with his bare fist. He hit the steel top of the table so hard, that there was a big dent, which was visible to the shocked onlookers in the room. After that, Bluming gave in, and agreed to pay the membership fees that his organisation was due to the Honbu. Oyama was amicable in person, but he was not someone you could mess with in business. He was a legit badass and is an undisputed legend, period.

Likes (received)

Hello. You posed the same message in another thread, so I have deleted the other message.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Thank you for the correction. How interesting that this website is managed from Japan! I spent several yrs there.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    Thank you for the correction. How interesting that this website is managed from Japan! I spent several yrs there.
    Where were you? Did you visit Hiroshima? This is where I live -- ever since 1980.

There is a whole group of us who manage the website.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Hi I was in Tokyo for my work at the time for about 2 yrs, but I didn’t have a chance to see much of the rest of the beautiful country. I stayed a bit longer in Tokyo to complete an uchi-deshi course as an in intern in the former Kyokushinkaikan in Ikebukuro for about 6 months. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to go back to Europe for my work. How about you?

Likes (received)

I came here in 1980, as I stated, and have stayed ever since. I have permanent residence here. I was a professor at Hiroshima University, which meant that I was a public official. I retired a few years ago so I am now 'emeritus.' As you may gather from this website, I practice aikido and teach the art in several dojos here.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

[QUOTE=P Goldsbury;508930]I came here in 1980, as I stated, and have stayed ever since. I have permanent residence here. I was a professor at Hiroshima University, which meant that I was a public official. I retired a few years ago so I am now 'emeritus.' As you may gather from this website, I practice aikido and teach the art in several dojos here]

i have always been fascinated by the art of Aikido, but I have never tried my hand at it I am sure you must be very high rank, to be an instructor in Japan.

Likes (received)

[QUOTE=Robert1;508931]
    Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury View Post
    I came here in 1980, as I stated, and have stayed ever since. I have permanent residence here. I was a professor at Hiroshima University, which meant that I was a public official. I retired a few years ago so I am now 'emeritus.' As you may gather from this website, I practice aikido and teach the art in several dojos here]

i have always been fascinated by the art of Aikido, but I have never tried my hand at it I am sure you must be very high rank, to be an instructor in Japan.
    Well, I have been training for 50 years.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

9. Likes pgsmith, Brian Owens liked this post