Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Information on Ryoi Shinto Ryu

Likes (received)

Question Information on Ryoi Shinto Ryu

Hi All,

At present myself and a group of others are trying to work out James Shortt's background. Now from what we know he is legitimate but we need to find out information about his sensei, a guy called Kaizo Okumoto and trying to find anything we can about him. Also does anyone know anything about anyone teaching Ryoi Shinto Ryu in Japan?

Thanks,
    Richard Tighe

Likes (received)

Default :)

WHY do u "NEED" to know his background?

what did he reply when you contacted him and asked about his training hsitory?

Xichen
    Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.ozmaforums.com

Likes (received)

Actually I know him quite well and we have spoken of his background on numerous occasions but he rarely talks of his teachers. Hence we are currently trying to compile a history of RSR. At present we know that someone in Japan is teaching RSR but we just dont know who. Also we know that these teachers existed but we are having difficulty finding much out about them.

Likes (received)

At present we know that someone in Japan is teaching RSR but we just dont know who. Also we know that these teachers existed but we are having difficulty finding much out about them.
    Several e-budo members are located in Japan or have direct contacts there. If you post your information here it might be helpful in tracking down this information.

I know him quite well and we have spoken of his background on numerous occasions but he rarely talks of his teachers.
    Would it be possible for you to provide us with any more information about his teacher? Did Mr. Shortt study under him in the UK or in Japan? I am guessing that Okumoto sensei is not around to ask. Do you know where in Japan he was from, or last resided?

I did a CQC course a couple years back with someone who has taken seminars with Mr. Shortt and speaks very highly of him. I have also watched Mr. Shortt's video and found it interesting. In looking at the Ryoi Shinto Ryu Website, I found the historical information to be very interesting, but thought that it was odd that here is something like a sixty year gap between the last licensed teacher in the tree and current praticioners.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Well from what I know Jim studied RSR under Kaizo Okumoto and his father who as far as I know was a licenced teacher of RSR. We also know that his father studied under Tatsuo Takeda. Again we dont have a region for these teachers which is problematic. At present we are also trying to locate the present Soke of Ise Jitoku Tenshin Ryu which is an off shoot of RSR and may be able to give us further information. There is no doubt in my mind that Jim is the man. My main interest lies in the history before him and where RSR went and whether or not there are connections still in Japan.
    Regards

Richard Tighe

Likes (received)

Hi Richard,
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you could tell me about the current certification/ranking system used in Ryoi Shinto Ryu. Is it the traditional Menkyo system or did it switch over to he Kyu/Dan system. I was also wondering what level of certification Mr. Shortt has. FWIW, I'm not questioning his legitamacy, I'm just curious.

My understanding is that most of the early jujutsuka/judoka came out of the Tokyo area, so that might be a good place to start your search. Have you tried contacting the Kodokan regarding Kaizo Okumoto or Tatsuo Takeda?

It appears that you live in Europe, so you might try contacting Serge Mol. He seems to be in the know about koryu jujutsu.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Well due to the way insurance is in Ireland, where we are training we were forced to switch over to the kyu/Dan system from the old system to get insurance! Jim holds Menkyo Kaiden and the equivalent of a 9th Dan which is registered in Kyoto. He is also a 5th Dan in Bujinkan, Menkyo in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu, 3 Dan in Aikido, Golden Gloves in Savate, 5th Dan in Yojindo and it just goes on and on! We are actually in the process of contacting Serge Mol at the moment which is a good idea. Also thats a really good idea about the Kodokan because they probably did Judo as well as JuJutsu considering the time period! Also as far as we know Jim is the only Menkyo Kaiden in Ryoi Shinto Ryu outside of Japan, although that does not mean there are not others, we just haven't found them yet!
    Regards

Richard Tighe

Likes (received)

Thanks Richard,
    That's a really impressive list, Mr. Shortt has accomplished a lot. Please keep us posted if you dig up anything interesting.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Since Ryoi Shinto-ryu is a koryu jujutsu system, why isn't this in the koryu section?

Likes (received)

Mainly because this was my first post on this site and I didn't know exactly what to do when I formed the thread So of course being the eejit I am I put it in the gendai budo section by creating a new thread here by accident!! And I dont know how to change it so here it stays!!
    Regards

Richard Tighe

Likes (received)

Richard,
    You can ask a moderator to move the thread.
    Best regards,
    Bruce Mitchell

Likes (received)

Thanks I will do that!
    Regards

Richard Tighe

Likes (received)

I already moved it to the correct forum - Jujutsu
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Thanks
    Regards

Richard Tighe

Finny Guest

If you don't mind me asking, who did Mr. Shortt recieve Menkyo in Tenjin Shinyo Ryu from?

It was my understanding that there were only two foreigners who've recieved Menkyo in TSR - Mr. Masters and Mr. Marton. Sure is an impressive list though.

Cheers,

Brendan

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast