Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Value of US base land in Japan enough to buy all of New York City

Likes (received)

Default Value of US base land in Japan enough to buy all of New York City

Value of US base land in Japan enough to buy all of New York City
    If the value of all the Japanese land "occupied" by the U.S. military was combined, there would be enough money to buy all of New York City, including the Statue of Liberty, which is a symbol of how little liberty Japan actually has, according to Flash (12/27).

The men's weekly claims to be outraged by what it calls Japan's blind obedience to the United States even as it was supposed to be negotiating with its ally to reduce the burdens, fiscal and otherwise, local governments carry here to host the U.S. military.

Flash says its own independent study revealed that Japan is home to 88 U.S. military installations, which combined take up 312 million square meters with a total land value exceeding 14 trillion yen.

"Using the results of the global real estate market survey carried out in 1999 by the former National Land Agency and the Japanese Association of Real Estate Appraisal, 14 trillion yen would be a sum large enough to buy all the land in New York City, based on the standard value of residential land," an appraiser familiar with the residential market tells Flash.

Of course, the figure doesn't include New York's mercantile nature and commercial value, but that doesn't change the fact that over 14 trillion yen worth of Japanese territory is being "occupied," the weekly says.

Tokyo ranks third among Japan's 47 prefectures in terms of the amount of territory used by the U.S. military, following only Okinawa and Kanagawa prefectures. Tokyo Metropolitan Government officials are actively seeking the return of land in the capital that is currently under the control of the U.S. military.

"Bases in Tokyo should have their status reviewed, downgraded and ultimately be returned to the control of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government. Yokota Air Field (U.S. Air Force Base) in particular is being strongly sought as the location of a third airport in Tokyo, where demand for flights increases yearly," a metropolitan government spokesman tells Flash. "As far as the metropolitan government is concerned, our policy for the time being is to continue to propose to the national government and U.S. military that the joint civilian-military use of facilities be permitted. We want the U.S. military to immediately return the Akasaka Press Center and Tama Service Annex should be opened up to as many Tokyo residents as possible."

The U.S. military presence in Tokyo also causes a decline in local land values, according to the veteran appraiser.

"Ground around Yokota Air Base is strong and able to withstand earthquakes, which makes it really good for housing. Other popular residential areas like Tokorozawa and Sagamihara are also homes to U.S. bases," the appraiser tells Flash. "Basically, what I'm trying to say is that there are these huge U.S. bases located in commutable areas within about an hour's train ride from central Tokyo and these prove to be considerable obstacles as far as things like land values and residential construction are concerned." (By Ryann Connell)

December 16, 2005

------------------------------------------------

Along those same lines I have read that if they sold the land in downtown Tokyo where the Imperial Palace is the money would be enough to buy the whole state of California.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

"Along those same lines I have read that if they sold the land in downtown Tokyo where the Imperial Palace is the money would be enough to buy the whole state of California."

that's what you get for having a royal family...
    Michael Kelly

Ironically neither a Niten Ichi practitioner or in fact a ninja.

Likes (received)

Are they using a US trillion or a UK trillion? The difference is a bunch of zeroes, so the answer is significant. But, we'll assume that they're using the much smaller US trillion (1,000,000,000,000). If so, then they're talking about roughly $120 billion US dollars, which, by way of comparison, is the amount the USA spent in 2004 for the war in Iraq, NASA is asking for a Mars mission, and the market thinks Google is worth.

Likes (received)

I'll take it if you don't want it.
    Saburo Kitazono

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth
    Are they using a US trillion or a UK trillion? The difference is a bunch of zeroes, so the answer is significant. But, we'll assume that they're using the much smaller US trillion (1,000,000,000,000). If so, then they're talking about roughly $120 billion US dollars, which, by way of comparison, is the amount the USA spent in 2004 for the war in Iraq, NASA is asking for a Mars mission, and the market thinks Google is worth.
    It says "yen"....repeatedly.
    David Stewart
    Glasgow University Shorinji Kempo

Inu mo arukeba bou ni atari

"Zentertainment: The Art of keeping people occupied by providing nothing." - nth degree

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ero Sennin
    It says "yen"....repeatedly.

I think Svinth was talking about the number of zeros not the type of currency.

From Wikipedia:
    Short scale usage

In the short scale used in Brazil, Russia, Turkey, Greece, Puerto Rico and most English-speaking countries, a trillion is or 1 000 000 000 000 (a one followed by twelve zeros). It is therefore one thousand billions (short scale usage) or one million million or (1 million)2 or one thousandth of a quadrillion (short scale usage). The SI prefix for this number is tera.

While the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand traditionally employed the long scale usage, some years ago they largely switched to the short scale usage of 1 000 000 000 000 (a one followed by twelve zeros).
    [edit]

Long scale usage

In the long scale used in other countries and languages, a trillion (or its translated equivalent) is 1018 or 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 (a one followed by eighteen zeros), a million billions (long scale usage). It is one million million million or (1 million)3 or one millionth of a quadrillion (long scale usage). The SI prefix for this number is exa.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

The USA has been contributing to the welfare of Japan since the end of WWII. What is the annual cost of our Military to defend and protect a Nation (Japan) that spends less than<1% for their own Military protection for 40 + years..They might be now expending 3%, Whoop Whoop Wahooo.. The USA has been protecting their Arse for Many Moons. (see Robert R on the numbers but add 6o years..no multiply by 60).

The USA rebuilt Europe after WWII with the Marshal Plan and Also Expended MULTI $$$$ (Billions) in Japan (daa Total Rebuild).

The French and German's have said go FU## yourself USA, so now, it look's like the Japanese have chimed in??? What do these guys think we are???

The size of Montana is equal to the Islands of Japan, the Value of the land in city of Tokyo Land is equal to the value of the State of California, that's what the boys from Tokyo tell me! And these Guys can not afford to pay for their own ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE and MARINES?????

"Ground around Yokota Air Base is strong and able to withstand earthquakes, which makes it really good for housing. Other popular residential areas like Tokorozawa and Sagamihara are also homes to U.S. bases," the appraiser tells Flash. "Basically, what I'm trying to say is that there are these huge U.S. bases located in commutable areas within about an hour's train ride from central Tokyo and these prove to be considerable obstacles as far as things like land values and residential construction are concerned."

I Agree we should "sell" this land back for @ least (18 maybe 28 Zeros "0", considering inflation $$$ and get the troops out of foriegn territory and reposition them on the USA Mexican South Border.
    [FONT=Arial]Jim Kass[/FONT]

Likes (received)

Default Have you heard of "Omoiyari Yosan"

Konbanwa Jim-san

I suggest you study politics and also look into US federal budgeting as well as Japanese national budget.
    Since 1978, the Japanese goverment paid approx. 9.2 billlion US dollars for the bases in Okinawa alone.
    You also need to consider the contrubution of Japan buying 177 billion US dollars in federal bonds by the year 2003.
    In other words the US would had gone belly-up long time ago if not for the help by the Japanese goverment.

K. Miwa
    Tri-ring of Japan
    ŽO—Ö?@?K‰î

Likes (received)

Jim has also ignored the fact that the 1947 constitution penned by Americans specifically forbids Japan from having any kind of military. Technically the Self Defence Forces are illegal but they exist due to a loophole of the American-Japan security pact, under which the US government basically forced Japan to build up a military to ease its own financial burdens during the Cold War.
    Frankly, your post smack of elitism ("We're putting ourselves on the line protecting you all" - oops, omitted "As long as it's good for us")
    As a resident of Tokorozawa, I'm always amazed at seeing that prime property in the hands of a foreign military... wonder how you'd feel if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

He also forgot to wave his cane in the air and croak "Get off of my property ya damn kids!"
    Saburo Kitazono

Likes (received)

Before this gets into to a battle of hearsay and opinions here are some facts on Japanese Military spending:

Defense Budget
    According to Japanese security policy, maintaining a military establishment is only one method -- and by no means the best method -- to achieve national security. Diplomacy, economic aid and development, and a close relationship with the United States under the terms of the 1960 security treaty are all considered more important. Japan is keeping military expenditure at only 1% of GDP, even though this is still a very significant amount. Japan's posture is a defensive one, with no weapons of mass destruction, no long-range bombers, no middle or long-range missiles, no aircraft carriers and no nuclear submarines. But Japan has considerable conventional weapons, and wants to use its Self-Defence Forces for peacekeeping operations. Japan is however very concerned over the military build-up in East Asia.
    The Defense Agency requested 4.933 trillion yen for its fiscal 2005 budget to update the Self-Defense Forces. This amounted to US$44.693 billion at the exchange rate [1 USD = 110.375 JPY] prevailing in late 2003.
    The Defense Agency's overall budget request for the fiscal year beginning 01 April 2004 amounts to 4.96 trillion yen, up 0.7 percent from the initial budget for fiscal 2003. This amounts to US$45.324 billion at the exchange rate [1 USD = 109.433 JPY ] prevailing in late 2003.
    More on that found here: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...pan/budget.htm

Japan Defense Agency (Bôeichô)
    Japan Self-Defense Force
    With nearly 240,000 military personnel and an annual budget of close to $50 billion, Japan's military outstrips Britain's in total spending and manpower, while its navy in particular scores high among experts for its sophistication.
    Japan is a major world economic and political power, with an aggressive military tradition, resisting the development of strong armed forces. A military proscription is included as Article 9 of the 1947 constitution stating, "The Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as a means of settling international disputes." That article, along with the rest of the "Peace Constitution," retains strong government and citizen support and is interpreted as permitting the Self-Defense Forces (SDF), but prohibiting those forces from possessing nuclear weapons or other offensive arms or being deployed outside of Japan.
    The Defense Agency and the SDF both comprise the same defense organization. However, the term Defense Agency is used to denote an administrative organization responsible for the management, operation, etc., of the GSDF, MSDF and ASDF, while the term SDF is used to mean armed organizations that conduct unit activities for the defense of the nation and for other purposes. The SDF are under control of the civilian Defense Agency, subordinate to the prime minister. Unlike MITI or MOF, JDA is not a full-fledged ministry. Rather, it is an agency, a part of the Prime Minister’s Office. Not only is it of lower bureaucratic standing, therefore, but it has less control over its own fate than do full ministries. Thus, of the 10 bureaucratic appointments to JDA, at least four are assigned from other ministries. This situation is the result of a deliberate effort to ensure continued civilian control.
    More here: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../japan/jda.htm
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kass
    1)The USA has been contributing to the welfare of Japan since the end of WWII. What is the annual cost of our Military to defend and protect a Nation (Japan) that spends less than<1% for their own Military protection for 40 + years..They might be now expending 3%, Whoop Whoop Wahooo.. The USA has been protecting their Arse for Many Moons. (see Robert R on the numbers but add 6o years..no multiply by 60).

The USA rebuilt Europe after WWII with the Marshal Plan and Also Expended MULTI $$$$ (Billions) in Japan (daa Total Rebuild).

2) The French and German's have said go FU## yourself USA, so now, it look's like the Japanese have chimed in??? What do these guys think we are???

3) The size of Montana is equal to the Islands of Japan, the Value of the land in city of Tokyo Land is equal to the value of the State of California, that's what the boys from Tokyo tell me! And these Guys can not afford to pay for their own ARMY, NAVY, AIR FORCE and MARINES?????

"Ground around Yokota Air Base is strong and able to withstand earthquakes, which makes it really good for housing. Other popular residential areas like Tokorozawa and Sagamihara are also homes to U.S. bases," the appraiser tells Flash. "Basically, what I'm trying to say is that there are these huge U.S. bases located in commutable areas within about an hour's train ride from central Tokyo and these prove to be considerable obstacles as far as things like land values and residential construction are concerned."

4) I Agree we should "sell" this land back for @ least (18 maybe 28 Zeros "0", considering inflation $$$
    5) and get the troops out of foriegn territory and reposition them on the USA Mexican South Border.
    1) The US has been defending Japan (sort of, we can discuss that further if you like) since WWII by their own choice. It hasn’t been out of selfless sacrifice for the greater good of humanity either.
    2) Not sure what this comment is all about.
    3) Get your facts straight. We don’t pay for their military at all period. We don’t pay for any of their weapons, personnel, or vehicles. The Japanese actually pay for a lot of our stuff over here….for example our utilities for all buildings we use for OUR military and DoD Civilians, they pay for most of the upkeep as well. That includes offices and homes. Yokota Air bases heating and cooling costs were $23, 000,000 last year. That’s only one base out of about 35.
    4) Actually we don’t “own” it. That would be like me borrowing your car for a week and then trying to sell it back to you when I return it.
    5) Maybe you should give Alaska back to the Eskimos or America back to the Indians.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

Likes (received)

I used to work as an examiner on Yokosuka Naval Base. Part of my job was to decide if certain claims for monetary reimbursement made by military and DoD civilians met with the guidelines set out by the DoD.
    One case I recall was a GS 11 that “needed” some medical procedure. So he flew himself, his wife, their daughter back to the US, LA specifically. Stayed in a hotel that was way over his acceptable rate for his pay grade, had his medical procedure that only required 1 night in the hospital. However, he stayed in LA for a month at the hospital, got a rental car for his wife as well as himself. He was reimbursed for the following:

Hotel for 3 people
    2 rental cars
    Gas for rental cars
    Parking for rental cars
    Food for all 3 people for the whole month
    Airfare for 3 people to LA and back to Japan

His claim came out to over $9,500 for his little 1 night medical trip, this doesn’t include the salary he was still getting, plus the medical expenses the US Gov was paying for. Oh, and much to my dismay, he was paid every penny. His claim was actually was within the regulations. Funny thing is his daughter had some photos of them at Disneyland during that trip. Nice to know where your tax dollars are going.
    PLUS:
    While living here in Japan, all military and most DoD civilians are paid:
    (all depend on rank)
    Overseas Allowance- depends on rank
    Cost of Living Allowance- starts at about $4,000
    Rent- starts at about $15~20,000 per year and goes way up.
    Relocations of personal goods- depends on how much crap you have. Many people are allowed to ship their cars over which is actually more expensive than buying a better car here.
    Plus a few other minor things

Working for Uncle Sam in Japan is a "Fat Catters" dream.
    And that’s right….American taxes pay for it.
    Last edited by RobertRousselot; 29th December 2005 at 22:57.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

Likes (received)

Regarding those international basing agreements, note that German Air Force stations a squadron of fighter bombers (Tornados, mostly) in New Mexico. The squadron used to be at Kirtland, but they appear to be operating mostly out of Holloman these days. Similarly, the Singapore Air Force keeps a squadron at Cannon AFB, also in New Mexico. Without the Germans and the Singaporeans, those two bases would probably close down, resulting in the loss of about half a billion USD per year, which is a reasonable chunk of cash in semi-rural areas of New Mexico.

As for land around those US airbases in Japan, in one breath, they want to use the runway as a third airport. Great, no major change in usage, so the environmental impact statement would be straightforward, and that's the same request made by folks in places such as Reno. (Check the origin of Reno's second airport sometime.) But then one reads that the same land would make a great place to build apartments. Now, I have no trouble with the assumption that different uses are possible for the land -- that's why we have zoning. However, is the idea really to take a currently in-use airport, increase the number of flights into said airport (no military airbase is as busy as, say, Honolulu International or Chicago O'Hare or Narita), AND build apartments all the way up to the fence? Gads.

As for land values, they are probably basing this on taxable values. This isn't fair, as tax bases are not identical, and moreover, in both cases, the calculation discounts the value of existing infrastructure. For instance, New York's City Tunnel No. 3 alone will eventually cost NYC's taxpayers about about Y940 billion (USD $8 billion).

Likes (received)

Robert, thanks for the statistics.
    Nice to know where my tax yen are going!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast