Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daiwa ryu

Likes (received)

Default Daiwa ryu

I am looking for information regarding the lineage of Daiwa ryu JuJutsu.
    I understand that Kono Akikazu (also yagyu shingan ryu Heiho) is the headmaster of the Daiwa ryu and there is a dentokan dojo that trains in Daiwa ryu here in the U.K who lineage comes from master Tanaka, a student of grandmaster Okuyama according to there site,

http://www.dentokan.com/ipswich.html

Is there a link between Master Tanaka and Kono Akikazu?

Thankyou
    Luke Hutchinson

Likes (received)

I am also a member of the Dentokan, but the style I learned from Mr. Roy Hobbs is more of a derivative of Hakko-ryu/Daito-ryu rather than of a Daiwa-ryu. I know of a Daiwa-ryu in Japan, but it is a family art of the late Mr. Sato Kinbei, he used to teach Daito-ryu, Yagyu Shingan-ryu, other Koryu Jujutsu and Chinese martial arts. You can go to his website here www.jujutsu.com
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Default Daiwa ryu

Thankyou for the information, www.jujutsu.com is very interesting.
    I have found that the Daiwa ryu link according to the Dentokan Oxford site is that Giles Chamberlin sensei trained with Tanaka and Harada sensei at the Herringswell branch of the Shitenoji schools after Hobbs Sensei left Suffolk.
    I may try to contact him to see if he would be able to give me some information on whether Tanaka and Harada sensei lineage goes directly to Sato Kinbei sensei.
    Presumably the integration of Daiwa will only apply to Dentokan JuJutsu in the U.K then?
    Luke Hutchinson

Likes (received)

Hi Luke,

I can't comment on Tanaka Sensei, as I dont know him. However, I can give some informations about Harada Sensei and the "Daiwa Ryu" in question.

First of all, the school has no connection to Sato Kinbei nor to any school called "Daiwa Ryu" in Japan. So, where does the name come from? When Harada Sensei was sent to Europe in 1981 by the Shitennoji, the leading persons of the temple decided that styles of Budo taught in connection with the European institutions of Shitennoji should be called "Daiwa Ryu" ("Big harmony style") there, refering to "Wa"-Buddhism. Therefore, Iaijutsu (derived from Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu) and Jujutsu (mainly influenced by Hakko Ryu Jujutsu) where taught in England, Belgium and Austria under the name of "Daiwa Ryu", which was adopted for the instructions given in Europe, during the 1980ies.

From 1990 on, Harada Sensei returned to use the designation "Jigen Ryu" ( 慈眼流 ) , the name initially chosen by him in Japan to indentify his teachings, and in January 1991 the school was officially founded by him in Austria under the name of "Jigen Ryu" ( 慈眼流 ) .

This name has also a strong connection to Buddhism. Prince Shotoku Taishi, the strong supporter of Buddhism in Japan, and founder of Shitennoji in Osaka, which is the oldest Buddhist temple in Japan, is considered as reincarnation of Guse-Kannon. At official occasions in Jigen Ryu (Daiwa Ryu) a scroll with his picture is located at the place of honor. Within the buddhist text of Kannon Sutra, which is part of the Lotus Sutra, the expression "Jigen" (benevolent or merciful eye) is used to describe the look of the Buddha. The school's name derived from that expression.

So, in short, this "Daiwa Ryu" taught in Europe has no connection to a any school of this name in Japan, but was only a name used to describe Budo-teachings in Europe.

Harada Sensei passed away last October. Some informations about him and the history/roots of "Daiwa Ryu" and "Jigen Ryu" can be found in that thread:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35548

Best regards,

Likes (received)

Nothing much to add to Robert's detailed post, other than to confirm that the Daiwa Ryu I studied with Tanaka and Harada sensei is from the lineage he described, and that - to the best of my knowledge - there is no connection with Sato Kinbei sensei.
    Giles Chamberlin
    http://www.jujutsu.org.uk

Likes (received)

Thankyou Robert and Giles for the information, It has been very helpful in completing this part of my research.
    Luke Hutchinson

Likes (received)

The kanji for Daiwa-ryu of Sato Kinbei sensei's family is 大和流 (the same kanji as Yamato - ancient Japan), which the kanji could mean "Big Harmony." I don't think there is any connection between the two other than both Sato Kinbei Sensei and Harada Sensei both studied Hakko-ryu.

I think Sato Sensei opened the family art to the public under the name of Daiwado.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Thankyou George, I have found the reference of Daiwa-do on Sato Kinbei Sensei's website. In connection with this I understand that Kokusai jujutsu Renmei has Yagyu Shingan Ryu as part of it’s teaching but that it is not the Yagyu Shingan Heiho Jutsu taught by Sato Sensei. Is this correct and how does it differ?
    Luke Hutchinson

Likes (received)

Tanemura Sensei's Yagyu Shingan-ryu came from Sato Kinbei sensei, so it is the same branch.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

opps repost sorry
    Last edited by john_lord_b3; 25th January 2007 at 12:04. Reason: opps repost, sorry
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

I understand that Sato sensei passed several traditions to Tanemura Soke. So, what art(s) is now being taught in Sato sensei's Dojo? Do they still teach the Itten Ryushin Chukai-ryu, Tenjin Shinyo-ryu, Arakishin-ryu etc?

If I become rich, I'd like to go to Japan and maybe learn some Koryu under Tanemura soke.

Likes (received)

So is the Daiwado / Daiwa Ryu of Sato Kinbei koryu jujutsu?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by GCP
    So is the Daiwado / Daiwa Ryu of Sato Kinbei koryu jujutsu?
    It's a gendai budo based upon Koryu jujutsu. They do teach koryu seperately at higher levels I understand.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Delaney
    It's a gendai budo based upon Koryu jujutsu. They do teach koryu seperately at higher levels I understand.
    Amen to that brother

Likes (received)

Default UK Seminar

Looks like there's a chance for the UK guys to see Kohno Akikazu Sensei in the flesh - he's teaching a seminar in Bedford: http://www.bedfordjujutsu.co.uk/seminar.htm
    Giles Chamberlin
    http://www.jujutsu.org.uk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast