PDA

View Full Version : sword stories

Ka1yama
27th October 2004, 22:26
I enjoyed the responses I got from my question about Musashi and Yagu. Does anyone know of any other cool sword stories? True or not any other cool stories?
Neil Stewart

kinopah
28th October 2004, 01:54
i do. most of em are cool. don't know if they're all true. but i know some...

Ka1yama
28th October 2004, 22:10
well then please share
Neil Stewart

Brian Owens
28th October 2004, 22:25
Originally posted by Ka1yama
I enjoyed the responses I got from my question about Musashi and Yagu. Does anyone know of any other cool sword stories?

I suggest getting a copy of Dave Lowry's Autumn Lightning. It contains a mix of autobiography of his training in swordsmanship, and stories of famous events in the lives of various members of the Yagyu family.

I'm on my second copy of Autumn Lightning, having worn out my first copy's binding from reading it so often. I also have the sequel, Persimmon Wind.

Also, Lives of Master Swordsmen has many good stories.
For example, you'll find that the scene in Seven Samurai where the bushi shaves his head and impersonates a priest to rescue a child from a criminal is based on a real event.

Lives of Master Swordsmen is a good read. Highly recommended.

kinopah
29th October 2004, 13:29
the new "lone samurai" biography of musashi is a fun read and contains several stories i had heard, but in a much more interesting manner.

while not fiction, both of ellis amdur's books, dueling w/o-sensei and old school are loaded with brief, interesting anecdotes. he's got a really engaging writing style. dueling feels like a series of editorials, while old school is more like a textbook... old school is worth it just for the forward.

ZealUK
29th October 2004, 16:12
I enjoyed "The Sword of No Sword" by John Stevens, and its many anecdotes about Yamaoka Tesshu.

Hard drinking, whoring, smoking and very hard training.

Brian Owens
30th October 2004, 07:57
Originally posted by Ka1yama
Does anyone know of any other cool sword stories?

BTW, to whet your appetite for Lives of Master Swordsman:

The founder of a certain Ryu came to a point where he needed to select his successor. He had two able students, both of whom were willing and able to take on the position.

How did he choose? By telling them that the survivor, if any, of a duel to the death would be the next headmaster. (Then it appears that he may have "fixed" the duel by aiding one of the students at the last minute.)

And we complain about our sensei being too strict! ;)