PDA

View Full Version : nakamura ryu and toyama ryu

jezah81
6th November 2004, 00:53
Is there any special sword length requirements for Nakamura Ryu and Toyama Ryu Battodo such as is with Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu? I am 6"2 and have a 2-4-5 blade, would this be OK to use for tameshigiri and kata with these two ryus?
Kind regards,

Jock Armstrong
7th November 2004, 03:42
As far as my experiences go, the length req are standard [ie in relation to the student's height]. Apparently Nakamura sensei disliked overly light or thin blades, since they were intrinsically less robust. When we did tamaeshigiri at the Aoyama budokan dojo, Tzudzuki sensei [who had an extensive collection] used to lend me a big [around 8 mil across the mune], long [around 2.9 shaku] sword. He couldn't use it but as a 188cm tall, 135 kilo gaijin it fitted me fine. the impression I got from everyone was that as long as it pertained to some basic ground rules, what suited you was just fine.

PS If you look for Nakamura ryu on the net there are some translated articles by Nakamura sensei on just this subject, including hilt length in relation to hand size.

I hope this helps.

seskoad
7th November 2004, 04:13
where do you want to train the nakamura ryu in australia? I thought there is no dojo available in this country.

Bullbrand
7th November 2004, 08:04
Here is an article by Nakamura Sensei relating to his thoughts on suitable swords translated by Guy Power Sensei:

http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/Pages/articleh.htm

See also Guy Powers Sensei's site for a lot more info:

http://www.webdiva4hire.com/kenshinkan/sword.html

Jock Armstrong
7th November 2004, 13:32
I believe there is a dojo in Sydney, run by German gentleman whose name escapes me for the moment - they have a website you can check for locations and timings and my own [very recent] dojo in Townsville, Queensland.

Just punch Nakamura ryu Australia into the search engine and you should come up with the Sydney place. BTW we are not connected in any way and I've never met the man but his cutting vids look good to me.

nicojo
8th November 2004, 17:01
Seskoad,

I thought you were in Indonesia?

seskoad
9th November 2004, 00:10
not yet...2 more months to go.....this last semester and by the end of january 2005 I am going home for good. When I put thread asking about dojo in Indonesia, I was in Jakarta for holiday.