PDA

View Full Version : Best broom for Swain mats?

Diane Skoss
12th January 2006, 17:35
Hi all!

It looks like we will be moving into a dojo with Swain tatami-style mats. We've done a bunch of experimenting with brooms on our current mats (plasticized canvas-covered) but suspect that things will be a bit different on the Swains. Before going out and buying 15 brooms (it's going to be a BIG mat area), I'd be interested in knowing your experiences.

Many thanks!

Diane Skoss

edg176
12th January 2006, 19:04
Hello Diane,

At the judo dojo where I work out, we use the Swain mats. My sensei own a Roomba robot vaccum and that's what they use to clean the mats. They throw it out there after practice, and then put out barriers on the side to keep it on the mat. It runs after they have left the dojo.

That might not be what you're looking for if the sweeping up is part of the students' learning process.

By the way, I've really enjoyed Koryu Books publications over the year, thanks so much for all your effort and work.

Aaron T
13th January 2006, 06:18
Use one of those felty, swisher sweeper type things. Those are what we use when not using someone's face.

Tell Meik, Aaron said hello.

Aaron Fields
Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake dojo
Sea-Town Sombo

www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Brian Owens
15th January 2006, 11:53
...We've done a bunch of experimenting with brooms on our current mats (plasticized canvas-covered) but suspect that things will be a bit different on the Swains. Before going out and buying 15 brooms...I'd be interested in knowing your experiences.

Use one of those felty, swisher sweeper type things.
Swain Sports International sells a "Swisher on Steroids" they call a Bucketless Mop, along with a disinfectant cleanser, specifically recommended as a mat cleaning system.

http://swainsportsintl.com/f_flooring.htm

In between thorough cleansings with such a device, I would think any of the stringy push brooms sold in janatorial supply houses would be good to use before/after each session for keeping the floor dust- and grit-free.

HTH.

MikeE
17th January 2006, 20:06
If you want the same mop, at a cheaper price:

Roadrunner from Cleanfix (http://www.cleanfixcleaningsystems.com/pdf/Cleanfix_RoadRunner.pdf)