PDA

View Full Version : new guy here with a few questions

lifeisviewtiful
16th March 2006, 21:05
i was planning on joining a school. i have a bokken already from preparing to go to another school until i saw they were way overpriced...... $600 bucks to start and you have to sign a 2 year contract, and buy your own gear!!!!!!!

i also ordered a sword from this site listed below, so i guess my first question is are these guys on the level. i spent about a whole day reading everything here and it seems very legit. let me know if i am being mislead. and also are these swords low quality.

http://www.chenessinc.com/iaito.htm

i haven't recieved my sword yet but they wealth of information contained in the site about why the pricing is not way expensive as well as the methods of different aspects in the production of the blade made me very confident in the engineering of these blades. i only paid about 180 but everyone i have spoken to said they paid over 700 bucks for their sword. let me know please.

also anyone familiar with any schools in the tampa bay area????

Charles Mahan
16th March 2006, 21:36
Before anyone jumps him, his name is Renaldo Forbes. He put it in his profile. I assume he isn't trying to hide his identity, or he wouldn't have put it in his profile.

Renaldo, unfortunately putting your name in your profile is not really sufficient. You need to sign your posts, per the second post stickied at the top of the forum. The easiest way to do this is to put it in the signature field of your profile. Click the User CP link at the top of the screen and edit your Signature field to include your name. Please fix this ASAP, before the more surly folks in the forum notice :)

All of that said,

$600 and a 2 year contract sounds more than a little fishy, unless that $600 pays for equipment. Still a 2 year contract seems excessive. Which school was this?

2nd you will find that purchasing something and then asking for advice is probably not the best plan. It doesn't really matter what advice we give you regarding Cheness, you've already purchased it.

The good news is that there are definitely schools available in the Tampa bay area. Do a search of the forum. Also search the forums over at http://www.swordforum.com

The bad news is you may or may not be able to use your Cheness iaito at the schools you may wish to join. Different styles have different preferences in training weapons.

gendzwil
16th March 2006, 21:42
There's kendo (http://www.gulfcoastkendo.com/) for sure. Price is $60/year for federation fees plus $35/month club dues.

lifeisviewtiful
16th March 2006, 23:13
thanks guys for the input. kendo looks decent but would really like to get into iaido.

Iai-nut
16th March 2006, 23:42
Renaldo,

I must voice my opinion that you are doing things a bit *backwards.*

First, you must find a reputable and compassionate sensei to guide your study of Japanese swordsmanship.

Then, you must pick an appropriate bokken in consultation with him/her. There are many sources from which you may purchase a bokken. Depending on your needs, it is also not impossible to have one custom-made for you at a slightly greater cost.

Then, and *only* when you are judged to be ready as determined by your instructor, you must advance to the level where you are ready to use an iaito. This iaito should also be picked in consultation with your instructor.

Although appearances may be deceiving, not all iaito are created equal. And definitely not all iaito will be appropriate for your style/body shape, etc.

Lastly, Cheness is a great company to work with. While the company and forge are still relatively new to the production sword world, their customer service is second to none.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your endeavors. :)

Brian Owens
17th March 2006, 05:03
thanks guys for the input. kendo looks decent but would really like to get into iaido.
It couldn't hurt to pay a visit to, or otherwise contact, the Kendo dojo even if Iaido is where your heart is. Many Kendo schools offer either Seitei Iai or koryu Iai, or both. If not, the sensei may still know of a good dojo in your area that is doing Iai.

Regarding the Cheness iaito; be aware that even if it is acceptable to your upcoming sensei, you will not be able to take it to Japan should you ever go to a seminar or grading there. Steel-bladed swords taken into Japan must be documented, made-in-Japan swords, even if they are not sharp. I don't know of any exceptions to that law.

Good luck in finding a school. Let us know how things work out.

pgsmith
17th March 2006, 16:46
Hey Renaldo,
There is a Toyama Ryu dojo in St. Petersburg if you are interested ...

http://toyamaryu.org/Federation_Dojos.htm

Out of curiousity, what was the name of the school that wanted you to sign a two year contract?

paul manogue
17th March 2006, 17:11
Check out yagyu-ryu.org, it is the south east school for the yamato yagyu kai.

Steve Delaney
19th March 2006, 10:58
i was planning on joining a school. i have a bokken already from preparing to go to another school until i saw they were way overpriced...... $600 bucks to start and you have to sign a 2 year contract, and buy your own gear!!!!!!!

i also ordered a sword from this site listed below, so i guess my first question is are these guys on the level. i spent about a whole day reading everything here and it seems very legit. let me know if i am being mislead. and also are these swords low quality.

http://www.chenessinc.com/iaito.htm

i haven't recieved my sword yet but they wealth of information contained in the site about why the pricing is not way expensive as well as the methods of different aspects in the production of the blade made me very confident in the engineering of these blades. i only paid about 180 but everyone i have spoken to said they paid over 700 bucks for their sword. let me know please.

also anyone familiar with any schools in the tampa bay area????

It smells fishier than a bucket of 3 week old fish at a hot Summer's day fish market.

They are trying to fleece you by the sounds of things. Avoid.

Brian Owens
10th September 2006, 08:48
Check out yagyu-ryu.org, it is the south east school for the yamato yagyu kai.
Hello Paul.

I may be moving back to Florida in a few months, after a long absence, and rembered this thread.

I tried to visit the yagyu-ryu.org site, but got this message:

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

You are not authorized to view this page.

You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

Can you be of any assistance?

TIA.

allan
10th September 2006, 18:24
Brian,

You're leaving my neck of the woods? How sad. Not that we ever met but it's nice to know that there are good folk nearby. Probably great for you though. Good luck!

Regards,
Al (in British Columbia)

Brian Owens
10th September 2006, 19:00
...You're leaving my neck of the woods?
Only maybe. I'm flying down to Orlando tomorrow for a week's vacation, and a job interview on Thursday. I should hear back from them by the end of the month, one way or the other.

...Good luck!
Thanks.

ozric100
12th September 2006, 03:13
Hello ... I am a memeber of Simple wave Dojo. This is David Walters Sensei of Yamato Yagyu Kai's Dojo. We are alive and well, just having some issues with our web site. I can PM you contact information and or directions if you wish. We train on Monday nights from 7pm to 9:30pm. Tho we are listed as a Tampa group our Dojo is in Largo.

Brian Owens
17th September 2006, 20:19
...I can PM you contact information and or directions if you wish.
Thank you; that would be most appreciated.

I just got home from Orlando last night, and will be going back in December (I don't know yet if it will be a move or just another trip), and would love to stop by to observe a class if that's allowed.

Thanks.

paul manogue
18th September 2006, 20:02
Brian,

Sorry I was not reading recently so did not see your post.

It seems one of Davids students has taken care of it though, good luck.

Brian Owens
19th September 2006, 06:37
Brian,

Sorry I was not reading recently so did not see your post.
No problem; I didn't expect an immediate reply. I probably should have sent it out as a PM, too.

But thanks anyway, and yes -- I did get the info I needed from ozric100.