PDA

View Full Version : Chiburi in Mugai-ryu

Rasmus
21st January 2007, 18:47
From this post... (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=434471&postcount=6)

I have seen only one ryu (with a big grain of salt because it was in a book by D. Craig) who cleaned there blades in there own garment(in this case the hakama), the Mugai-Ryu
I don't know much of mugai-ryu kata but none of the ones I've tried includes wiping the blade clean on your hakama. In fact there's no chiburi at all in the sitting kata I know about. Could anyone shed some more light on the details of chiburi in mugai-ryu? Not just whether I am correct or not but a little more indept description of the details. What's a good chiburi from the perspective of mugai-ryu and why is it good?

When talking about wiping the blade on the hakama I immediatly think of ukenagaeshi from the ZenkenRen seitei set. Not that it's how chiburi is done there but what about the koryu kata it's derived from; do you wipe your blade on the right leg or do you simply rest the blade against it as in seitei?

renfield_kuroda
21st January 2007, 21:15
I don't know much of mugai-ryu kata but none of the ones I've tried includes wiping the blade clean on your hakama.Under whom did you study Mugairyu? None of the legit extant branches of Mugairyu I am familiar with in Japan have any such chiburi.

In fact there's no chiburi at all in the sitting kataCorrect.

What's a good chiburi from the perspective of mugai-ryu and why is it good?If you've done chiburi the way your sensei has taught you, that's good.

For information regarding Mr. Craig and his so-called Mugairyu, search e-budo for some previous threads. There's been enough said about his books, etc.

Regards,

r e n

sven beulke
22nd January 2007, 05:54
Hi all!
As i told you i put a big grain of salt to my comment! Thanks Ren for your clarification!
Best