PDA

View Full Version : Time's almost out for the West Coast Tai Kai ...

pgsmith
9th August 2007, 22:40
So, the next West Coast Tai Kai is almost here. Who all is planning on attending? I'll be there, but then I'm an acknowledged budo slut and can't help myself. :)

Since I hadn't heard anything about it on-line, I put a thread about it in the event forum. I left a link to their web site there for anyone that doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Maro
10th August 2007, 01:46
I want to fly over one year - perhaps I'll get over next year.

Erik Tracy
10th August 2007, 05:04
So, the next West Coast Tai Kai is almost here. Who all is planning on attending? I'll be there, but then I'm an acknowledged budo slut and can't help myself. :)

Since I hadn't heard anything about it on-line, I put a thread about it in the event forum. I left a link to their web site there for anyone that doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Paul,
Does that mean your wallet becomes 'easy' and you'll buy some rounds of beer???

I'm there!!! :)

Erik

kdlarman
10th August 2007, 05:43
I'll be there, but good lord do I have a lot to get done first... Gonna bring some stuff to set on the table too...

Steve Wallisa
10th August 2007, 22:06
Hey Paul, drunken pool waza???

pgsmith
13th August 2007, 23:31
Does that mean your wallet becomes 'easy' and you'll buy some rounds of beer???
I've got two kids in college. My wallet's never easy! :) Somehow I always end up good for at least one round!

Hey Paul, drunken pool waza???
As long as there are no more instances of the "Hair of Power"! :D ...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/pgsmith/power_hair_small.jpg

kdlarman
14th August 2007, 04:29
Ah, which reminds me. Bring camera... Check!

Soulend
14th August 2007, 10:06
Ahh, I remember the hair of power..lol

Steve Wallisa
14th August 2007, 16:24

Paul, all's I can say is Senpokan and alcohol you never know what your going to see. Especially in Costa Mesa in our element.

urbalte
20th August 2007, 23:08
I'm so there! Next year. The family and I just moved to San diego last month, and we're still settling in. Our furniture arrives on Wednesday (finally). Just becuase I'm used to sleeping on futons laid out on tatami (or carpet) doesn't mean I want to.
So, soon as I can settle and start my training back up (Alvarez Sensei?) I'll make next year's event.

Steve Wallisa
20th August 2007, 23:39
urbalte, you need to at least drive up and see the embu Friday evening willl be well worth the hour drive...............

Dave Neeley
22nd August 2007, 09:17
I've got two kids in college. My wallet's never easy! :) Somehow I always end up good for at least one round!

you're just jealous.........

pgsmith
22nd August 2007, 16:53
you're just jealous.........
Yep!
I'm getting to that point in my life where any kind of hair on my head is welcome! :)

T. ALVAREZ
4th September 2007, 06:33
2ND Annual West Coast Taikai Results

This year there was a tie for the Yusho or overall winner of the taikai and has never happened before! Though we decided that the Howard Clark Daisho would be split between the two winners, it was determined that the Katana would go to the person with the most first place finishes and the Wakizashi to the other. We then decided to give the Jason Dingledine Forge Folded Tanto as the kodachi with the Katana since we did say that the Yusho would receive a daisho this year. \Anyway, the results are as follows:

Bill “Filthy” Henderson: HC 1086M Katana/ Jason Dingledine Tanto
Bob Lampp: HC 1086M Wakizashi

BATTO KATA: YONDAN AND ABOVE
1. Erik Tracy
2. Dave Drawdy
3. Rob Rivers

BATTO KATA: NIDAN/SANDAN
1. Bill “ Filthy” Henderson
2. Phoenix Torres
3. Mike “ Deadeye” Soriero

BATTO KATA: SHODAN AND BELOW
1. Jodee Janda
2. Sebastian “ Sparky” Barron
3. Henry Kim

IAI KATA: YONDAN AND ABOVE
1. Rob Rivers
2. Gyokufu Sakaguchi
3. Chuck “Biscuits” Hunnicutt

IAI KATA: NIDAN / SANDAN
1. Brian Pettet
2. Clay Bastian
3. Patrick Haley

IAI KATA: SHODAN AND BELOW
1. Rumi Gant
2. John Bamfield
3. Tom Lykins

BATTO SHIZAN: YONDAN AND ABOVE
1. Sang Kim
2. Bob Lampp
3. Paul Smith

BATTO SHIZAN: NIDAN/SANDAN
1. Collin “Makoto” Ito
2. Bill “Filth” Henderson
3. Loren Keirstead

BATTO SHIZAN: SHODAN AND BELOW
1. Ronald Duponte
2. Steve Wallisa
3. Henry Kim

IAI SHIZAN: OPEN
1. Bill “Filthy” Henderson
2. Rob Rivers
3. Robin Ramirez

WAKIZASHI SHIZAN: OPEN
1. Dave Drawdy
2. Rob Rivers
3. Robin Ramirez

YOKONARABI: OPEN
1. Collin “ Makoto” Ito
2. Bob lamp
3. Sang Kim

FUTOMAKI: OPEN
1. Loren Keirstead
2. Robin Ramirez
3. Phoenix Torres

DODAN: OPEN
1. Bob Lampp
2. Dave Neeley
3. Dan Keupp
4. Sang Kim
5. Loren Keirstead

Arne Oster
6th September 2007, 07:15
Just a few days after this event was over (sadly couldn't attend this time, either) I received the DVD from the first one ;-)
It will be interesting to see some more of my original school of iai (Mugai Ryu).
Regards
Arne

kdlarman
6th September 2007, 16:28
While I was there I picked up a new DVD with Nina Gosoke of Mugai Ryu. It is Mugai Ryu specific and excellent. Excellent production values unlike most martial arts discs. And very well done. Not even a style I study, but I certainly enjoyed watching and studying the kata. Nice seeing it from multiple angles too with nothing around to distract the eye. You might try contacting Ren Kuroda or Tony Alvarez about getting a copy.