PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Werewolf

OkamiHito
7th January 2001, 16:25
Hello cyberfriends.

I have a question:in japanese culture do exist ani legend about werewolf or licatropy ?
If yes ,ani URL about this ?

domo arigato

MarkF
8th January 2001, 09:09
I doubt it, but I am willing to learn. Lycanthropy can be a severe bi-polar affective disorder, but can vary the gamut from halloween costumes, to actually skulking and hunting animals, even people. The following sites ought to get you started.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arcade/4626/lycanthr.html

http://www.swampfox.demon.co.uk/utlah/shift/japwolf.html

The one above is strictly about lycanthropy in Japan.

http://hosted.ray.easynet.co.uk/gk/fan02.html

Above, it is told as it started in Japan, but is more supernatural mumbojumbo than reality.

http://members.tripod.com/~Rosecat/lycan.html

These should get you started, and let us know where you are the next full moon, OK?

And also, Welcome To E-budo!:wave: Please sign your posts with your full name. You can configure your signature box to do this automatically.

:up::up::up:

Mark

Chi
8th January 2001, 17:04
Not quite Werewolves as such, but I seem to recall a legend/fairy tale about fox-women...

I'll have a dig around and post if I find anything... although knowing me, I've probably confused this with some other culture!

Regards,

Chris.

(ooh... does this post make me a "senior member" at last??? :) )

Yamantaka
8th January 2001, 17:29
Originally posted by Chi
Not quite Werewolves as such, but I seem to recall a legend/fairy tale about fox-women...
Chris.
(ooh... does this post make me a "senior member" at last??? :) )

YAMANTAKA : It sure did, Chris! And I think you're right. I heard and read a lot about fox-women, serpent-women and dragons but wereWOLVES definitely do not seem to be germane to Japan. And I think this happens worldwhile : Some african countries have leopard-men and in North America there are Bear-Men. Werewolves were more common in Europe (where it was the most feared predator). Since Brazil was colonized by europeans, the werewolf was imported.
Does anyone have better information?

P.S. (I wonder who is this guy? asking for lycanthropy? Humm...)

[Edited by YAMANTAKA on 01-08-2001 at 12:32 PM]

Jeff Bristol
9th January 2001, 01:41
YAMANTAKA: and in North America there are Bear-Men

I have also heard about native americans believing in were-buffalos. Apparently the belif was quite common amoung plains indians. Imagine that, contracting lycanthropy and turning into a buffalo of all things, not too impressive, or maybe that's the white suburbia talkin.

Jeff Bristol

Bishamon
9th January 2001, 05:26
There are indeed Japanese werewolves, and they are known as "jinrou"--just check out the eponymously-titled "Jinroh", the new anime by Mamoru Ishii (director of "Ghost In The Shell" and "Patlabor 2"). Your life will never be the same... ;)

I just bought the DVD boxed set recorded in DTS, and all I can say is, "Duuuuuude..."

Chi
9th January 2001, 08:52
Originally posted by Bishamon
There are indeed Japanese werewolves, and they are known as "jinrou

Yeah, but Anime != real (otherwise multi-tentacled demon-lord rapist fiends also exist :))... the question is whether there are any legends concerning werewolf, or is it just an invention of modern times...? And I haven't a clue personally!

(Although I know man-beast legends are pretty much universal, I thought Werewolf legends were strictly an English (and maybe Germanic) thing... what with the word werewolf coming from the Old English "werewulf" meaning human-wolf)

Regards,

Chris.

Bishamon
10th January 2001, 01:22
There are indeed Japanese werewolves, and they are known as "jinrou
Originally posted by Chi

Yeah, but Anime != real (otherwise multi-tentacled demon-lord rapist fiends also exist :))...

Actually, werewolves have nothing to do with the anime I mentioned per se--it's just the name of a central character in the movie. I was just being facetious... :) I personally do not know of any historical references to werewolves in ancient Japan--"jinrou" most probably refers to the Western incarnation of said beasts.

And multi-tentacled demon-lord rapist fiends DO exist--just ride the train here during rush hour and you'll see! (Although most people prefer to call them by their proper name, "chikan"...) :D

MarkF
10th January 2001, 07:34
http://thelair.lycanthrope.org/archive/ahww/ahww-mini-05.html

Kitsune are the "foxwomen" of Japan (I can't believe I started something, and even adding to it). There is an entire society of "shapshifters," called, I think, therioptropy.

Theroid, from Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Gr. theriodes, beast-like) "Having animal instincts and characteristics."

Gives a new meaning to the Jimi Hendrix song "Foxy Lady."
:eek:

Mark

[Edited by MarkF on 01-10-2001 at 02:46 AM]

MarkF
10th January 2001, 07:43
As in most things on this board, the idea of shapeshifters does come from China, and Africa, but if you do a search on google.com, it may change your mind as to shape shifters of Japanese descent. The shapeshifting had to do with aging, the face/body changing, all due to goblins of one sort or another.

I only looked at the fist page of hits. The search brought up 15 and may well be even more (I used the words Lycanthropy Japan).:up::up:

Mark

Chi
10th January 2001, 09:24
And multi-tentacled demon-lord rapist fiends DO exist--just ride the train here during rush hour and you'll see! (Although most people prefer to call them by their proper name, "chikan"...) :D[/B]

LMAO! :)

That comment has brightened up an otherwise dreary morning at work for me!

Regards,

Chris.

kennin
10th January 2001, 13:44
In Japan, shape shifters of all kind were called "hengey˘kai". They could be foxes (kitsune), badgers (tanuki), cats (neko) and so on. Though I never heared about wolves, I don't doubt that they existed (in the legends, of course).
But there is one big difference: werewolfs where (according to the legends) people infected with the disease 'Lycantrophy', while hengey˘kai where animal spirits who could change into humans, so they were Were-creatures in no way.

Hope I've helped.