PDA

View Full Version : Shintoism

White Lotus
29th January 2002, 02:59
I have two questions that I seek answers for. . .

a) As far as the religion of Shinto is concerned, are there any sources accesible through the internet where one could find information on major deities (which may also be classified as 'bodhisattvas', depending on the site)?

b)Is it in any way plausible for a person of non-Japanese descent to follow Shinto practices and customs?

Thank you in advance.

Tycho Devinall

Matsuba
29th January 2002, 06:08
Mr. Devinall

a) You should go to www.tsubakishrine.com .
Your question is interesting. I've often wondered about the connection between Sarutahiko Okami (Shinto) and Fudo Myoo (Buddhist).

b) I live on the north shore of Lake Tahoe and we perform O Misogi Harai (cold water training) 2 - 3 times a month in the winter season. This is a powerful spiritual exercise simply because you can't "fake it". Cold is cold, Japanese or not.

Jason House

Yamantaka
29th January 2002, 12:09
Originally posted by White Lotus
I have two questions that I seek answers for. . .
a) As far as the religion of Shinto is concerned, are there any sources accesible through the internet where one could find information on major deities (which may also be classified as 'bodhisattvas', depending on the site)?
b)Is it in any way plausible for a person of non-Japanese descent to follow Shinto practices and customs?
Thank you in advance.
Tycho Devinall

YAMANTAKA :
a) You will find a lot of information here : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=shinto+Deities&btnG=Google+Search

b) I agree with previous poster. One of the best sites you can go to for answers is www.tsubakishrine.com
It's an american shinto shrine presided by an american shinto priest.
They were always courteous and cooperative to answer my questions.
Luck in your seach :wave:

White Lotus
29th January 2002, 23:49
Many thanks.

Regards,

Tycho Devinall