Thread: Newaza videos

Likes (received)

Default Newaza videos

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the following Newaza videos:

Mike Swain's "Championship Grappling"
    Ippon Video's "Advanced Judo - Newaza"
    Kodokan Video's "Katame Waza"
    Neil Adams' "Grappling 1 & 2"

I'm planning on buying one, but I didn't want to waste my money on a bad one.

Thanks,
    Kevin Hostelley

MarkF Guest

Get the Ippon series.

Mark

PS: There are some Kosen tapes out there, as well, though they are in Japanese, you don't need to hear to understand it, though in a couple of places in those I've seen, the one demonstrating does say some things I'd love to understand. Still, they are the best newaza tapes I've seen.

Ippon puts out a great product, I'm only stating my peculiar taste.

Likes (received)

Default Be Like Mike

Mike Swains are pretty good also.
    Get the Ippon series.
    They are very good indeed.
    Manny Salazar
    Submisson Sabaki

Likes (received)

Hi Mark,

They Kosen tapes are on my site, at
    http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page18.html about halfway down the page. Some different ones are at http://budogu.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page42.html

Sorry for the blatant plug.

Peter Boylan
    Mugendo Budogu LL
    http://www.budogu.com

vadrip Guest

Peter, just a few questions. Whose teaching on the nihon kosen tapes on page 42? My friend has a three tape set of Kimura kosen judo tapes would they be the same tapes on kosen judo you have on page 42? Do you know of that Kimura set of kosen tapes? What's the best of the various kosen tapes in your opinion? How's the Okuda Yoshiro newaza tape and the Mifune tape with Mizukuchi Juko & with pride fighter Akira Shoji on the cover?

vadrip Guest

I know there's a site that shows the late kosen judoka Hirata's former kosen school; which also lists the kosen tapes of Hirata & his students, I just wanted to know if the kosen tape of Kosaka Konosuke is the teacher who took over teaching at Hirata's former school or does he teach kosen judo somewhere else.

MarkF Guest

Hi, Peter,
    Yes, I have two of them. I forgot about that post and had planned to post the link[s] as, somehow, I must have deleted the bookmark when doing some housecleaning. Thanks for the updates.

I can recommend the Hirata, hell, I can recommend pretty much most kosen video on Peter's site. If you check around, kosen tapes are more expensive elsewhere so if you're in the market, I'd spend the money there. If you are interested in nage waza, well, anything with Mifune is good, but I don't have the one listed.

For nage waza, there is one which I think is a Kodokan production, and rather than simple how-to, there are some good shots of shiai, many with Yasuhiro Yamashita which are nice. The also demonstrate the many variants and how shinban tell the difference in throws which appear to be the same but are not, ie, drop seoinage and seoi otoshi.

Not as exciting as the kosen tapes, I have to admit. If you are really interested in "neck-cranking" mostly not allowed but still very effective, Gene Lebell has at least one like that.

Mark

Likes (received)

Default kodokan

Yes Mark, I have the kodokan nage waza tape also and is very good. The y break the techniques down and show them in shiai as well. There is also some footage of Mifune on there. Excellent viewing.
    Manny Salazar
    Submisson Sabaki