Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hinin ryu/ Shindo ryu Aikijujutsu? (Eric Templet)

Likes (received)

Exclamation merged with existing thread

The following was split from the "AJJ in Louisiana" thread in the AJJ archive:

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/show...&threadid=1747

Mr. Ward Pevey had announced a style of Aikijutsu called "Shindo ryu Aikijutsu", and after visiting their website at shindoryu.com I posted the following response (split from original thread in order to allow on topic discussion):

I went to your website and found a few things interesting:

http://www.shindoryu.com/shindoryu/uniform.html
    http://www.shindoryu.com/shindoryu/officers.html

I've never seen a martial arts group create formal military style uniforms. What an interesting idea. Do you issue CIBs and purple hearts as well? If I may ask, what is the point of a military style uniform - tea parties?

From this page:
    http://www.shindoryu.com/instructors/templet.html

6th degree black belt Eric Templet Shihan is the senior instructor. He has been training in the martial arts since age 5. He served as both a sensei and a shihan at the Hininryu Aikijutsu Society (1994-1997), and founded the Shindoryu Aikijutsu Association in 1999. He also holds a first degree black belt in karate and has studied Tai Chi Ch'uan extensively. He is the author of Aikijutsu: The New Way.
    Did I miss the part about Mr. Templet's "Aikijutsu" training? Later on in the page someone named Hirohito Suzuki is named as one of his instructors. What did he teach and under what authority? Who did he receive shodan in Aikijutsu from in 1989?

It's probably a coincidence that Emperor Hirohito and Premier Kantaro Suzuki were both important historical figures ca WWII. Maybe Hirohito Suzuki's parents were patriotic, or...?

I noticed a photo of someone using Judo's tomoenage. Is that an Aikijutsu technique?

While the page does mention that Mr. Templet founded this "Shindo ryu Aikijutsu Association" in 1999, has two dojo in the US, and supposedly has some relationship with Daito ryu (or ditto ryu), but does not show evidence of any such connection. Could you help us out here?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 17th March 2003 at 20:16.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Default Shindo Ryu

I, too, would be most interested in the historical lineage of this Shindo Ryu style. I have studied Shindo Ryu under Yamanaka Sensei and Shintani Sensei (who studied under Otsuka Sensei - Menkyo Kaiden in Shindo Yoshin Ryu) and I am licensed to teach this style.

As well, it appears to be a rather rapid promotion from Shodan in 1989 to Godan, 13.5 (max)years later.

Nathan, your comments concerning the uniforms are apropos. In 25 years of policing, I never thought of wearing my uniform on the tatami. Perhaps, it's about time we put the "Bu" back into "Budo."

As always, my opinion only.

Frederick D. Smith
    FDS

Likes (received)

Default Re: merged with existing thread

Originally posted by Nathan Scott
    [BI've never seen a martial arts group create formal military style uniforms. What an interesting idea. Do you issue CIBs and purple hearts as well? If I may ask, what is the point of a military style uniform - tea parties?

From this page:

Did I miss the part about Mr. Templet's "Aikijutsu" training? Later on in the page someone named Hirohito Suzuki is named as one of his instructors. What did he teach and under what authority? Who did he receive shodan in Aikijutsu from in 1989?

It's probably a coincidence that Emperor Hirohito and Premier Kantaro Suzuki were both important historical figures ca WWII. Maybe Hirohito Suzuki's parents were patriotic, or...?

I noticed a photo of someone using Judo's tomoenage. Is that an Aikijutsu technique?

While the page does mention that Mr. Templet founded this "Shindo ryu Aikijutsu Association" in 1999, has two dojo in the US, and supposedly has some relationship with Daito ryu (or ditto ryu), but does not show evidence of any such connection. Could you help us out here?

Thanks, [/B]
    In response to Mr. Nathon Scott's and Mr. Kaishaku's threads; I did not post my thread with the intent to have to defend myself nor my style of aikijutsu As to your question about our so called military uniforms, our organization is a student organization whose founder is a former U.S. Marine, and is on the campus of SLU as well as a private dojo. Those who are members of the SAA and who are elected officers wear the uniforms for our meetings and formal affairs. I am sorry that you have no need for such things but please do not demote them for I do not question or demote your school or training, I have no need for such pointless pursuits.
    As to the lineage of our system I can only tell you what I know, Mr. Templet Renshi at the age of 5 trained under Mr. Hirihito Susuki in the style of Hinin-ryu, a dirivitive of Daito-ryu, where it broke off from there I do not know nor does it concern my training or performance of my techniques. I do know that our style has been influenced by others such as jujitsu because we utilize many ground techniques, many of todays modern martial arts (judo, aikido, etc..)are nothing more than modifications or spin-offs of other styles. I am well aware of the basic history of Daito-ryu and have seen it performed. I am confident that our style is related and I feel no further need to research or doubt its lineage. For if you know the 4 pillars of aikijutsu, its philosophies, ideals, and pricipals etc...would you be any less a practicioner of aikijutsu because of who you studied under? If my dog studied under Minimoto Yoshimitsu does that make him more qualified than someone who did not? I had only intended to inform people of an aikijutsu instructor who may be in their area and I feel no need to defend myself or my style further and I will use my Aiki training to blend and deflect.

p.s. I am sorry for this response but I felt that myself and my style were being attacked.
    Ward Pevey
    --------------------
    Enlightenment is like
    the moon reflected in
    a pool.
    The moon does not
    get wet,
    nor does the water
    become broken.
    -------------------

Likes (received)

Default Hinin Ryu?

Mr. Pevey

My apologies if my comments concerning the wearing of uniforms was perceived flippant. However, the outward and/or ostentatious display of rank was not something that was stressed in my own experiences in the MA.

My comments and questions comcerning lineage were legitimate. In your reply you noted that your school's ryuso (founder) studied a derivative style of Daito Ryu called Hinin-ryu. I am unaware of this school, but I am unaware of many martial art traditions. That said, perhaps you could answer what is the specific history of Hinin ryu?

My Japanese is poor and I like to say non-existent. My understanding of "hinin" and "ryu" follows. There are many e-budo subscribers who have a much better grasp on kanji and its etymology and perhaps they may correct me or provide another interpretation. That said: (hopefully your computer can display kanji)

Example One:
    Hi - 否 - negate, no, noes, refuse, decline, deny
    Nin - 認 – acknowledge, witness, discern, recognize, appreciate, believe
    when conjoined
    "hinin" 否認 (n,vs) denial/negation/repudiation/disapproval/(P)

Example Two:
    hi - 避 - evade, avoid, avert, ward off, shirk, shun
    nin - 妊 - pregnancy
    when conjoined:
    "hinin" 避妊 (n,vs) contraception/(P

Example Three:
    hi - 非 - un-, mistake, negative, injustice, non-
    nin - 人 – person
    when conjoined:
    hinin 非人 (n) beggar/outcast

ryu 流 current, a sink, flow, forfeit, the kanji used for the “flow” of martial traditions in Japan

Hence, is hinin ryu the beggar's/ outcast school? or is the denial / disapproval school? or is the contraception school?

I recognize that the last interpretation certainly seems flippant, althuogh I believe humourous.

On a more serious note, any light that you could shed on this topic will be appreciated.

My Regards

Frederick D. Smith
    FDS

Likes (received)

Guys:

It's part of the STUDENT ORGANIZATION... Can't they have a chain of command and uniforms to indicate such. They don't wear Class A's to the dojo.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

Mr. Chambers,

Originally posted by Jason Chambers
    Guys:

Can't they have a chain of command and uniforms to indicate such. They don't wear Class A's to the dojo.
    Answer: Absolutely. That's the wonderful thing about democracies. Enough about the uniforms.

Question: Mr. Scott inquired about lineage, which I reiterated, however there seems to be a distinct paucity concerning the history of "Hinin-Ryu." Consequently, the question remains, "What is the history on Hinin Ryu?"

Should Mr. Pevey read this post, I concur, in part, with some of his thoughts. He notes (and I paraphrase) that its's the practice of aikijutsu, its philosophies, ideals, and principles that is important versus the source of the information / teaching. This argument may have veracity, if those philosophies, ideals, and principles are historically accurate. Therein lies the conundrum.

Best Regards,

Frederick D. Smith
    FDS

Likes (received)

Mr. Pevey,

I understand your original intent in posting, but you have to understand that you are submitting your style for consideration to the whole world by posting it as a recommended style on e-budo. My comments and observations are based on the information provided by the website you posted in your submission. The fact is that there are far more fraudulent claims to AJJ than there are legitimate, and while I (for one) try to keep an optimistic point of view, the content found on shindoryu.com was not encouraging.

If ya'll want to wear formal duds to meetings, more power to you. You do understand that this is not exactly "traditional" though, and may or may not be completely understood/embraced by those in traditional arts.

At this point, I think the subject is worth discussing at more depth. If you are not prepared or qualified to speak about the specifics of your art, please provide me/us (publicly or privately) with an email address or some form of contact information for Mr. Templet and I/we will contact him directly.

For the record, if what you guys do is a good time, then keep with it. The issue is with claims of rank/experience with arts like Daito ryu if they are not authentic. If Mr. Templet cannot verify such claims, then he could simply discontinue claims to such an art and continue to teach his art (as its founder) with whatever credentials and licenses he can provide to prospective students.

While the forum members could (again) entertain debate as to what qualifies an art to use the names AJJ, AJ or ABJ, the fact is that anything with "aiki" can be justified on a fundamental level if desired - misleading as this is sometimes. Claims to lineage however must be substantiated.

Regards,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 17th March 2003 at 20:39.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

Likes (received)

http://www.shindoryu.com/instructors/templet.html
    Name: Templet, Eric T.
    Current Rank: Rokudan (Renshi)
    Teacher: Hirohito Suzuki, Stephen Young
    Current Position: Shihan, President SAA
    History:
    Born: Nov. 4, 1976 Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    1981: Began studying martial arts
    1989: Received shodan in aikijutsu
    1994: Graduated from Belaire High School and enlisted in USMCR
    1995: Started Aikijutsu Club at Southeastern Louisiana University
    1996: Received Honorable Discharge USMCR
    1996: Dojo cho - Baker Aikijutsu Club
    1997: Shihan in Residence - Komichikan Dojo
    1998-1999: Shihan in Residence - Takikan Dojo
    1999: Received shodan in karate
    1999: Founder and first President of the Shindoryu Aikijutsu Association
    2000: Received B.A. from Southeastern Louisiana University
    2000: Promoted to rokudan
    2000: Wrote Aikijutsu: the New Way
    2001: Accepted instructor position at Southeastern Louisiana University
    2001: Recieved M.A. from Southeastern Louisiana University
    2002: Founded the Onamikan Dojo in Mandeville, LA
    Makes for some interesting arithmetic.

Best,
    Greg Jennings
    mailto:gregs_shell_account@yahoo.com
    http://www.capitalcityaikido.com/
    http://www.takemusu.org/

Likes (received)

Makes for some interesting arithmetic.
    Funny, that's what I was thinking when I looked closer at some of the dates.

From what I can see, Mr. Templet is a 26 year old 6th dan Renshi, and founder/shihan of his own ryu-ha (at 22 years old). He claims to have received shodan in "aikijutsu" at about 13 years old from ?. Starting teaching at 18 years old.

In America, there are varying opinions about the subject of giving dan rankings to kids. But as a point of reference, Obata Sensei's daughter is now 17 years old, and has been in the dojo and training for literally all her life. Obata Sensei and his wife always go to the dojo together, and would bring the kids with them and have them train. His daughter is already better than most the senior students in our Honbu dojo, but Sensei will not give her a black belt yet because of her age.

I know that I've started to peak out in ranking in a couple of the arts I study based on my younger age (34, I think).

But anyway, I'd love to see some video clips or tapes of Shindo ryu. Or perhaps the book that is mentioned in the biography. Best way to get a feel for a person's level of study.

Regards,
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 19th March 2003 at 17:28.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

Likes (received)

Also, I think those uniforms indicate someone has some serious unresolved issues.

Lynn Seiser is a PhD psychotherapist. I'll ask him to take a peek.

Best Regards,
    Greg Jennings

Don Cunningham Guest

It's sort of difficult to be sure, but it appears that Eric Templet is wearing some military decorations as well as their own ribbons. Specifically, it looks like a National Defense Medal on the bottom lower outside. If he served for two years in the USMCR, from 1994 to 1996, I don't think this award was authorized during that period. The National Defense Medal is only authorized for those who served on active duty during war. It certainly isn't authorized to be worn with other non-military decorations on a non-military uniform other than American Legion or Veteran of Foreign Wars accessories.

I can't tell what the other ribbons are. My eyesight isn't that good. However, I would be surprised if any reservist was able to accumulate so many awards in only two years.

Likes (received)

They give their own military-knockoff decorations including "Medal of Honor".

I, personally, find the whole thing extremely bizzare.
    Greg Jennings

Likes (received)

You mean the "dito ryu" didn't give you a clue?

Ron (pardon the rhyme) Tisdale

Don Cunningham Guest

They give their own military-knockoff decorations including "Medal of Honor".
    I'm certainly not an expert on military awards. I don't even know the correct sequence to wear mine. However, most of those decorations appear to be ribbons used for various scholastic and attendance awards in ROTC units. The National Defense Medal, though, is definitely a real military decoration. From what I see, this guy could not be authorized to wear it since (1) he was a reservist and (2) he didn't serve during war (his time was after the Gulf War).

Frankly, I don't have a problem with anyone creating their own formal dress uniform. I do have a problem when they start giving themselves undeserved medals. It's also interesting that the same guy on this web site is shown wearing two different sets of ribbons. He has the National Defense Medal on top of a smaller row of misc. medals on the page about dress uniforms, but on the bottom row of a much larger set of misc. ribbons on his biography page.

It may or may not be legal to wear unauthorized military decorations on some made-up formal uniform, but it really does bother me since I earned my decorations.

Likes (received)

Actually,

The National Defense Medal was still being given durring 1994, for actions involving Iraq. I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly why. But I do know for a fact that it was still being given, because I recieved one rightout of boot camp. (Not that I felt that I had earned it, but we were told to wear them. And as an E-1 nobody, the last thing we wanted was to be "Out of Official Uniform".
    While he was in the reserves, you are still considered to be on Active Duty while going through boot camp. Therefore, it is all together plausible that he was given the National Defense Medal. I'm on my second now (Afganistan), and I'm sure my small meager contribution to the war effort (from stateside this time), will garner me a third.
    So, even though his style of "Aikijutsu" is highly questionable, his National Defense Medal is an actual possibility.

Just my two cents. Thanks for listening.

- Glenn Marquay
    Glenn Marquay

A small piece of grass under the shadow of the Willow Tree.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast