Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: In Search Gankaku's History

  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    557
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Is "niju jo" a page number?

    Can you translate please? I'd like to look it up - is this in My way of Life?
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

  2. #47
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Erie,Pa USA
    Posts
    256
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Ted,

    The #17 Precept, comes from the " Shotokan no Hyakkajiten: the Shotokan Karate Dictionary"

    by Schlatt


    Also look this up.

    http://www.24fightingchickens.com/mu/nijukun/index.html




    ken allgeier

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    411
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    I saw some Tang Soo Do practitioners doing Chinto and they did it with yuko geri/side kick instead of the mae geri. I was wondering where Tang Soo Do got it from, and yes, they call it Chinto, too.
    Brian Culpepper

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Gardena
    Posts
    2,842
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powerof0ne
    I saw some Tang Soo Do practitioners doing Chinto and they did it with yuko geri/side kick instead of the mae geri. I was wondering where Tang Soo Do got it from, and yes, they call it Chinto, too.

    I am about 90 percent sure that the kata was learned from Shotokan.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tokorozawa, Japan
    Posts
    1,275
    Likes (received)
    18

    Default

    If Tang Soo Do is primarily influenced by 1930s-40s Shotokan (when Yoshitaka's influence was highest), that would make sense.
    So, when did the name "Gankaku" start to take hold?
    Andrew Smallacombe

    Aikido Kenshinkai

    JKA Tokorozawa

    Now trotting over a bridge near you!

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    411
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    The Tang Soo Do version I saw was identical to the Shito Ryu version I was doing except for the yuko geri instead of mae geri. The one thing I did notice was that the Tang Soo Do practitioner who is a skilled martial artist seemed to be doing Chinto in a very static way. Didn't really have much timing, looked very "rigid". No doubt in my mind that he had martial art ability because I did see him spar but his rythm and movement of Chinto seemed weird to me. Funny thing about this was that he judged my Chinto at an all styles tournament in 95, I believe...I saw him do Chinto when he was competing after me, go figure.
    He came up to me later saying my form was good except I should side kick and I told him that's not how I was taught which caused him to give me a weird look like I was full of it.
    BTW, Chinto was my favorite Kata to perform in tournaments.I even got first place in a WTF Tae Kwon Do tournament with it in 96 or 97. I was surprised at the time that they judged me to have first place being that this was a TKD tournament and I wasn't doing a TKD form. I wish I could say I did as well in sparring at the TKD tournament but I found out the hard way WTF rules literally doesn't score tsuki. Even though I literally knocked my opponent down multiple times with tsuki. My lesson learned from this? I love Kata but point competition under WKF/usankf rules, foam dipped all styles tournaments, and WTF TKD tournaments isn't for me. I think that was the last point tournament I ever did, or close to it.
    Brian Culpepper

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Gardena
    Posts
    2,842
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S
    If Tang Soo Do is primarily influenced by 1930s-40s Shotokan (when Yoshitaka's influence was highest), that would make sense.
    So, when did the name "Gankaku" start to take hold?

    There is no specific time frame that points stright into the creation of "gankaku" However, I suspect that after Funakoshi took many okinawan kata into the mainland, the change probably evolved right after the JKA ( Japan Karate Association) was formed. It is believed that somewhere down the line someone changed the Kata as well as the name.
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Gardena
    Posts
    2,842
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powerof0ne
    Funny thing about this was that he judged my Chinto at an all styles tournament in 95, I believe...I saw him do Chinto when he was competing after me, go figure.
    He came up to me later saying my form was good except I should side kick and I told him that's not how I was taught which caused him to give me a weird look like I was full of it.
    Got to love those Tang Soo Do guys, they always right and we are just plain wrong....
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tokorozawa, Japan
    Posts
    1,275
    Likes (received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler
    There is no specific time frame that points stright into the creation of "gankaku" However, I suspect that after Funakoshi took many okinawan kata into the mainland, the change probably evolved right after the JKA ( Japan Karate Association) was formed. It is believed that somewhere down the line someone changed the Kata as well as the name.
    I believe the JKA was formed in the 1950s.
    The younger Funakoshi (Yoshitaka or Giko) was active during the 30s and early 40s as the main technical developer of the Shotokan system and it seems that techniques like the yokogeri-keage found in the Heian (Pinan) kata as well as Gankaku are a direct result of his influence.
    Forum member Harry Cook is probably the person to ask.
    Andrew Smallacombe

    Aikido Kenshinkai

    JKA Tokorozawa

    Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •