Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your best Japanese Martial Art film?

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Earl Hartman

"Tenchu" sounds interesting. Is it the one where Mifune plays an assassin who kills Lord Ii? I aslo remember "Gate of Hell". It was a good flick, but I never thought of it as a swordfighting movie in particular.

Katsu plays a low level Tosa samurai who is a hired sword for one of the factions in Kyoto during the time leading up to the Meiji restoration. It co-stars Yukio Mishima as a Satsuma hired sword. Mishima commits seppuku in the movie (about a year before he actually did) this freaked the Japanese out (a little too close to real life apparently) and the movie has not been that popular consequently.

Not the "best" sword play (by chanbara standards) but some of the most realistic...not very fair... not very pretty...just the way I like it.

Scott Irey
    Just another one of those "few peanuts short of a snickers bar" MJER guys.

Likes (received)

Actually, I forgot a couple:

Shinsengumi (aka "Band of Assassins") w/Mifune as Kondo Isami. I remember it being extremely gory, with the swordfighting being depicted as very down-and-dirty.

Kiru (Kill!) a flick from the '60s directed by Okamoto Kihachi. I don't remember much about this film other than that I enjoyed it immensely when I first saw it all those years ago.
    Earl Hartman

Likes (received)

Wink Samurai Fiction

I finially found and rented Samurai Fiction.
    I liked it. Strange but interesting.

R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

Default Re: Sword of DOOM

Originally posted by Budoka 34
    I love the Samurai trilogy and the Seven Samurai! We get together several times a year and watch them all; along with one of my favorite films "Sword of Doom"!

When we want something more modern, we watch "GoJoe", "Taboo", or "Owl Castle"

Hello, Budoka 34, where in NC are you located. I'm in Charlotte. Do you belong to a school or club that gets together and views the movies?

Likes (received)

Default Shintaro Katsu as "Zatoichi"

There was another thread on E-budo where we spoke of the admiration we had for the Zatoichi movies. I have copies of at least ten of them and they lasted between 1hr. 15 minutes to an hour and a half.
    There was also a series though, also starring Shintaro Katsu as Zatoichi. Does anyone know how many movies there were, how many episodes of the TV series there were and the length of the episodes?

Also, there was an episode where Toshiro Mifune reprised his role from "Yojimbo" and it is considered a classic in the Zatoichi collection. Does anyone know the name or names of this episode as they often had two separate titles?

I'm certain someone on e-budo knows the answers to these queries. If not now, someone will eventually so here's thanking you in advance.

Likes (received)

Default Does Anime count?

There was a really nice show called "Rurouni Kenshin" being shown on the Cartoon Network here in Charlotte. The plots were pretty good but after about maybe ten episodes it was abruptly pulled and I haven't seen it since. The protagonist' name was Himura, "The Battosai", and he was baaad with his sword. He was basically the Champion of one faction that resisted the Meiji(sp) around the time of "The Last Samurai"; swore to never kill again and had to defend his peaceful friends and himself from his old enemies who refused to let him cease to be a "manslayer".

Likes (received)

Default Re: Shintaro Katsu as "Zatoichi"

Originally posted by dingodog1
    ...Also, there was an episode where Toshiro Mifune reprised his role from "Yojimbo" and it is considered a classic in the Zatoichi collection. Does anyone know the name or names of this episode as they often had two separate titles?
    I have this one on VHS. The other Zatoichi films I have are in cardboard covers, but this one is in a deluxe plastic case. That suggested that it was considered special, and after watching it, I agree. I like them all, but this is my favorite.

It's called Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo in English, and Zatoichi To Yojimbo in Japanese.

c. 1970 Toho Co., Ltd. Color. English subtitles. 115 minutes.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Talking Domo!

I knew it. Thank you, very much!

Likes (received)

Default Re: Your best Japanese Martial Art film?

Originally posted by S.Jubei

But the best i have seen has to be the Samurai trilogy that dipicts Musashi's life played by Toshiro Mifune (a legend in my view). These films are simply called Samurai 1-3.
    I'm sure I'm a bit late asking this, but where did you get the videos? I plan on getting them myself, but I'm not sure if I can get them with subtitles and with the correct region for the DVD player.

Jon
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Default Samurai Trilogy

Originally posted by Chrono
    I'm sure I'm a bit late asking this, but where did you get the videos? I plan on getting them myself, but I'm not sure if I can get them with subtitles and with the correct region for the DVD player.
    Available at Amazon.com, in Region 1 (USA & Canada) only at this time. Japanese language with English subtitles. Full Screen format. Here're the details:

Samurai Trilogy @ Amazon.com
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thumbs up good recs!

Originally posted by JimmyCrow
    ... but I also liked Ame Agaru (After the Rain) and The Twilight Samurai. The final duel scene in Twilight Samurai will answer any questions you might have about wearing swords indoors.

LOL! how true. Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibee) features Sanada Hiroyuki, the "village martial arts teacher" from The Last Samurai. not only is he an excellent actor, but his martial skill is quite astounding. (too bad the film didn't get the nod at the Oscars, but as a Canadian, i have to support the choice of The Barbarian Invasions.) Ame Agaru is equally good for its fight scenes and also features some great actors, including Mifune's son as a sharp-tongued feudal lord.
    Jeff Hamacher
    Those who speak do not know,
    Those who know will not speak ...
    So I guess that means I don't know a thing!

Likes (received)

I should have checked out Amazon before I asked. They have everything, so why not that? Sorry guys.

Jon
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Chrono
    ...Sorry guys...
    No need to apologize; what're friends for?

Besides, it brought this thread back to the top, so more members can be aware of it. That's always cool, man!
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Tomo Guest

Look out for the 'Beat' Takeshi version of 'Zatoichi' which features some fun stuff. Overall the film has a great sense of humour as well as the obligatory fight scenes.

But I just can't settle to Zatoichi's backhand grip.

For me the 'classic' duels are in Kurosawa - Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, and so on.

Full marks to Gohatto, however, for delineating the difference in style in the dojo and in the street, and different styles within the dojo. I particularly liked the hard clash of bokken in one match, and then the softer and closer work in the next - you know who's sword would last longer!

And Takeshi's character is a back-street fighter par excellence - no style at all, but I wouldn't like to go against him!

Thomas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2