Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Kenjutsu Dojo (Calgary), Sensei, People...ANYTHING

  1. #1
    Grisha Guest

    Default Kenjutsu Dojo (Calgary), Sensei, People...ANYTHING

    I am desperately trying to find a Dojo so I can start early in learning Kenjutsu - Iaido - Battoujutsu in Calgary Alberta Canada.

    I am currently in Aikido and wish to continue as long as I live but I have no idea how to get into what I love the most which is the art of the sword but cannot find ANYWHERE here which will train it...I checked phone books, the net, stores, and my own sensei's but nothing comes.

    I know all about the St. Paul's Kenjutsu House but this is too far for me to travel T_T can anyone help me out.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    6,226
    Likes (received)
    117

    Default

    Here is a link to a kendo dojo in Calgary. Many kendo clubs also offer iaido.

    I don't know how up-to-date this information is, but it's worth a try:

    Calgary Kendo
    Stephen Moses
    227 Coventry Rd. NE
    Calgary T3K 5H6

    email: SWMoses@cbe.ab.ca
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guelph, Ontario
    Posts
    292
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    For a fairly complete listing of Kendo/Iaido dojo's in Canada you can check both:

    Canadian Kendo Federation

    or the

    Canadian Iaido Association

    This will cover your Iai/Batto interest. For the Kenjutsu part, you can do Kendo and learn the kendo no kata. Other then that, keep your eyes open, check the the seminar announcments on this website or the iaido-l listserve and go to one.
    Nulli Secundus

    Ed Chart

  4. #4
    Grisha Guest

    Default

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart ^_^

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    1,526
    Likes (received)
    58

    Default

    The link to Calgary Kendo Club is current, Steve Moses is running the show there, he's 3rd dan. There's also Shiono-sensei in Banff who visits when he has time, usually Sundays, he's 6th dan. No iaido in Calgary at this time, although there is a fellow there who is trying to set up a club and searching for space right now.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Is Inaba Sensei no longer teaching Katori Shinto Ryu?

    His link is http://www.calgaryaikikai.com/sensei.htm

    Also seems to have a fairly reputable Aikido school if your not there already...
    James Dahl
    Calgary Goju Kai

  7. #7
    Grisha Guest

    Default

    Ah, I have been to a Seminar under Inaba Sensei and should have asked him there...dang oh well, next Seminar coming in February and most likely my test too T_T

    I will ask him about this.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    6,226
    Likes (received)
    117

    Default Re: Kenjutsu Dojo, Sensei, People...ANYTHING

    Originally posted by Grisha
    I know all about the St. Paul's Kenjutsu House but this is too far for me to travel...
    BTW, if that's the same as "Noble House Kenjutsu" there has been some discussion of them on this board, in either the Baffling Budo or Bad Budo forum IIRC.

    Based on what I've seen, being too far for you to travel may be a blessing in disguise.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Posts
    1,526
    Likes (received)
    58

    Default

    How on earth would Inaba be teaching KSR? I wasn't aware anyone in Canada was licensed.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

  10. #10
    Grisha Guest

    Default Re: Re: Kenjutsu Dojo, Sensei, People...ANYTHING

    Originally posted by Yagyu Kenshi
    BTW, if that's the same as "Noble House Kenjutsu" there has been some discussion of them on this board, in either the Baffling Budo or Bad Budo forum IIRC.

    Based on what I've seen, being too far for you to travel may be a blessing in disguise.
    lol this may be true, I just feel that I must get into Kenjutsu/Iaido A.S.A.P. because of how old I am, the earlier I train and learn, the better my body will function with it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by gendzwil
    How on earth would Inaba be teaching KSR? I wasn't aware anyone in Canada was licensed.
    Can't answer that intelligently as I don't know the man myself, just saw a fair bit of info on the website I provided regarding it.
    James Dahl
    Calgary Goju Kai

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    11
    Likes (received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grisha View Post
    I am desperately trying to find a Dojo so I can start early in learning Kenjutsu - Iaido - Battoujutsu in Calgary Alberta Canada.

    I am currently in Aikido and wish to continue as long as I live but I have no idea how to get into what I love the most which is the art of the sword but cannot find ANYWHERE here which will train it...I checked phone books, the net, stores, and my own sensei's but nothing comes.

    I know all about the St. Paul's Kenjutsu House but this is too far for me to travel T_T can anyone help me out.


    This late but I teach kenjustsu a my club. It's relatively new.
    At the Calgary Rakushinkan we practice kenjustsu and iaido - Onoha Itto Ryu, Mugen Shinto Ryu. Feel free to contact me if you (or anyone else) are interested.
    my website can be found here: Calgary Rakushinkan

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    8
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default Ka Muso Kai

    There is also Chris Gilham's dojo, the Ka Muso Kai. They practice Iaido, Kenjutsu, and Jodo. Went to a seminar there last year and met some great people!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    11
    Likes (received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Fain View Post
    There is also Chris Gilham's dojo, the Ka Muso Kai. They practice Iaido, Kenjutsu, and Jodo. Went to a seminar there last year and met some great people!
    Agreed. They are great people and dedicated martial artists.

    josh

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •