Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 88

Thread: Daito-ryu - Gendai or Koryu?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,394
    Likes (received)
    84

    Default

    Samurai Jack


    This is last I'm going to post on this topic.

    You show up, all panting about a topic that we were NOT even discussing.
    All upset about claims and posits made ELSEWHERE.
    You take offense at things people on OTHER forums posted--then you bring that anger HERE to talk about.

    And while your here you keep "talking" about the wrongs various "aikido" people ON OTHER FORUMS IN OTHER PLACES DID/SAID etc.

    I have pointed out several time that if the folks "elsewhere" annoy you so much to PLEASE TAKE IT UP WITH THEM---we didn't say it, we didn't do it.
    We had nothing to do with your angst.

    If your upset about it---then please take it up with the folks that actually DID what upset you.

    I enjoy spirited debate and active discussion.

    I just feel that your "straw man" thing--you know where you come here, set up "their" arguements FOR them, complain about the things "they" did and preceed to attack arguements YOU MADE FOR THEM--is not the way to go about it.

    That would be like me going to another forum and bagging on "This Samurai Jack guy"---"I mean can you BELIVE what he said?????"



    Chris Thomas

  2. #47
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tokyo,Japan
    Posts
    24
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cxt
    Samurai Jack


    This is last I'm going to post on this topic.

    You show up, all panting about a topic that we were NOT even discussing.
    All upset about claims and posits made ELSEWHERE.
    You take offense at things people on OTHER forums posted--then you bring that anger HERE to talk about.

    And while your here you keep "talking" about the wrongs various "aikido" people ON OTHER FORUMS IN OTHER PLACES DID/SAID etc.

    I have pointed out several time that if the folks "elsewhere" annoy you so much to PLEASE TAKE IT UP WITH THEM---we didn't say it, we didn't do it.
    We had nothing to do with your angst.

    If your upset about it---then please take it up with the folks that actually DID what upset you.

    I enjoy spirited debate and active discussion.

    I just feel that your "straw man" thing--you know where you come here, set up "their" arguements FOR them, complain about the things "they" did and preceed to attack arguements YOU MADE FOR THEM--is not the way to go about it.

    That would be like me going to another forum and bagging on "This Samurai Jack guy"---"I mean can you BELIVE what he said?????"



    Chris Thomas
    I totally agree.
    Tomoo Yawata
    Yoshinkan/Aunkai
    Tokyo,Japan

  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    2,570
    Likes (received)
    44

    Default

    [Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 10th June 2014 at 23:28.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

    "Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

    - Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

  4. #49
    Samurai Jack Guest

    Default Off-Topic

    Quote Originally Posted by cxt
    Samurai Jack


    This is last I'm going to post on this topic.

    You show up, all panting about a topic that we were NOT even discussing.
    All upset about claims and posits made ELSEWHERE.
    You take offense at things people on OTHER forums posted--then you bring that anger HERE to talk about.

    And while your here you keep "talking" about the wrongs various "aikido" people ON OTHER FORUMS IN OTHER PLACES DID/SAID etc.

    I have pointed out several time that if the folks "elsewhere" annoy you so much to PLEASE TAKE IT UP WITH THEM---we didn't say it, we didn't do it.
    We had nothing to do with your angst.

    If your upset about it---then please take it up with the folks that actually DID what upset you.

    I enjoy spirited debate and active discussion.

    I just feel that your "straw man" thing--you know where you come here, set up "their" arguements FOR them, complain about the things "they" did and preceed to attack arguements YOU MADE FOR THEM--is not the way to go about it.

    That would be like me going to another forum and bagging on "This Samurai Jack guy"---"I mean can you BELIVE what he said?????"



    Chris Thomas
    Chris Thomas,

    To ease your frustration, I desprise personal attacks in place of civil intelligent discussion no matter the adopted style chosen. Let me assure you this is the forum for such acumen discussions as I rasied. A poster doesn't need to abuse the forum venue for intercourse declivity. Or for the excitement of fulminating prattle just because this is what the obtuse interloper, which often dominates a forum, comes to expects or demands. I would like to point out that I refrain this perniciousness.

    I am putting forth openly an apriorism, which may raise ire for some, but never the less, required no matter how uncomforatble it makes the demagogue. As any educated individual knows there are dangers associated with information, i.e. misinformation heard enough without impugn is too easily accepted as fact. This is and has been the case for Daito ryu and Takeda. Both have been placed in a political pillory, unjustly. Therefore, an apriorism is called for inorder to bring the facts to light.

    The pertinacious nature of some to abate the traditions of Daito ryu and the statue of Takeda have prevailed for sometime in order to bolster the blanishments of their own leaders and arts. A hinderance for those who are interested in the facts. Whose who don't bowderize what they read, because it doesn't fit their sensibilities. Those with discerning minds. Those who don't want others to make up their minds, and instruct them to think as they do. Those who are educated, and seek out all possibile avenues.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Outside of Phila.
    Posts
    1,494
    Likes (received)
    1

    Default

    Dear Jack,

    May I suggest that you write your posts in MS Word before you post them? You'll find the spelling and grammer checkers are phenomenal, especially if you try to write in what some might call a pompous manner.

    I'm not saying this to pick on you...my own weaknesses make it very difficult for me to understand your posts. You often use words incorrectly, the mis-spellings make it hard to determine which words you really mean to use, and the sentence structure is a bit tortuous. I have trouble ferreting out the meaning. This is probably due to my own failure to be more open minded.

    Best,
    Ron

  6. #51
    Samurai Jack Guest

    Default

    P.S.
    This just occurred to me. If we discussed the "rounding of corners" of Daito ryu by Uyeshiba, rather then the discussion of Daito ryu and Takeda here then we should take this topic of discussion to the Aikido forum. But, I don't think discussing Daito ryu and Takeda in this forum warrants an eradication from here.
    If you would like to discuss the "rounding..." of Daito ryu by Uyeshiba, I would be happy to share my thoughts about it on the Aikido forum. Unless of course, phrased otherwise for a new thread in this forum, or it can provide a clear substantiation to this thread.
    To intermittently addresses this idea, I would say "rounding of corners" may be misleading. Rather the construction of obtuse angles as a result of Ueyshiba's possible Chinese martial arts influence and principles, which he could have injected into the art. Thus, the result is the seemingly "rounding of the corners" perception. "Corners" may connote the sharp angles of Daito ryu employed in technique, which from what I have seen on Daito ryu tapes those "corners" are universal angles in which many martial arts employ, e.g. Kenjujitsu, Iaido, Jodo, Sumo, Judo, jujitsu, Karate, etc. Therefore, "rounding of corners" to properly identify the characteristics between both arts, acute observation and knowledge is critical. Rather it may be more accurate to say Aikido deviated from it's parent art from not pursuing in greater detail principles of Daito ryu and modeling from other arts. That is, Aikido is incompletus of Daito ryu techniques, as Ueyshiba didn't complete his studies in Daito ryu, for what ever reason. Just for an example, of course.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,624
    Likes (received)
    143

    Default

    Aikido is not "incomplete" Daito-ryu. If it were, it would be just good jujutsu. Ueshiba went in a different direction.
    Cady Goldfield

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,394
    Likes (received)
    84

    Default

    Samurai Jack

    Ok, fine, was going to drop it--you helped change my mind.

    The only reason your here is that you came looking for an e-fight--one that we pretty much don't wish to have.

    Despite your feeble attempts to use verbage far in excess of your understanding of them---I will be happy to oblige you for the fight that your so looking for.

    I can only conclude that the main reason your here--bitching, moaning, and whineing about things that happend elsewhere is that you fear to confront them.

    No doubt, you got your butt kicked elsewhere and fear to confront them again.

    Chris Thomas

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Melissa, TX
    Posts
    3,162
    Likes (received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cxt
    The only reason your here is that you came looking for an e-fight--one that we pretty much don't wish to have.
    Take it somewhere else.
    George Kohler

    Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hartford Connecticut
    Posts
    27
    Likes (received)
    4

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler
    Take it somewhere else.
    Why not continue??
    I hope you dont have any personal reason for this not to continue?
    Moses Colon
    Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the force of a dragon.
    T Nobushige

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,394
    Likes (received)
    84

    Default

    Last

    No, he does not.

    I didn't wish for this to become some kind of e-fight, I you read my posts you'll see that I took some steps to head it off.

    Then I allowed Jack to goad me into one.

    I was not in keeping with my own views here and the mods pointed it out.

    And my view is that people spoiling for e-fights on this topic should go elsewhere or address their comments to what people HERE have said.

    I also don't care much for "straw man" arguements.

    All that I have to say on this topic.


    Chris Thomas

  12. #57
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Melissa, TX
    Posts
    3,162
    Likes (received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Samurai
    Why not continue??
    Continue to fight? Is this what we what on E-Budo? If this is what you want you can go to another forum.
    George Kohler

    Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    147
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Prior to getting Chris' goat so to speak (it happens to the best of us) Jack was having a one man fight. Swinging, and kicking again and again he seemed to encounter nothing but air (the straw man). I guess if Mr.Colon enjoys watching such a thing there might be, for him, a point in continuing. However it is not what this forum is about. The only useful information in this thread was dredged up from old posts and other forums. The best advice came from Ron and George. Stick a fork in this one folks its not worth the server space it is taking up.
    H
    Howard Thiery

  14. #59
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    2,570
    Likes (received)
    44

    Default

    [Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 10th June 2014 at 23:28.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

    "Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

    - Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hartford Connecticut
    Posts
    27
    Likes (received)
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott
    Hi guys,

    I tend to agree that this subject has been discussed at length already. If there is some new information or points of view to express that haven't already been expressed (in clear english), then I'm all for reviving a topic. Otherwise, this is pretty repetitive.

    As far as fighting goes, I'm usually pretty easy going here, but I won't put up with BS. For those who may be new to this forum - have a look at the AJJ Posting Guidelines - PLEASE READ! . I don't mind people disagreeing on something, but you will post using tact and decorum or I WILL nuke your posts, and if necessary, take further action.

    Which reminds me, Mr. Last Samurai, you've been warned once before to sign your posts with your full, real name. See to it or I will delete all your posts to this forum. No kidding. I recommend just creating an automatic signature in your User CP at the top of the page.

    PS. Mr. Robison kind of reminds me of L-Fitzgerald from the old days (don't ya think?)

    XXOO,
    I have sign with my fullname so i dont understand why you mention it mr Scott ?
    Name is
    Moses Colon i hope this helps or maybe show me the correct way to do it
    Respectfully yours
    ____________
    Moses Colon
    Moses Colon
    Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the force of a dragon.
    T Nobushige

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Yoshida Kotaro & Yoshida Kenji (Yanagi-ryu)
    By Martin H in forum Aikijujutsu
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 1st November 2017, 07:06
  2. Koryu demonstrations & events in Japan
    By allan in forum Koryu: History and Tradition
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 2nd June 2011, 14:19
  3. Asayama Ichiden ryu and Daito ryu
    By Jay Bell in forum Aikijujutsu
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd July 2003, 23:24
  4. "Bad Media"
    By Nathan Scott in forum Media and the Martial Arts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25th June 2003, 22:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •