Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 'Maiden's 2003 album off the hook

Mekugi Guest

Default 'Maiden's 2003 album off the hook

OK..SO I know metals "dead". However, being a metal head from days of yore, I just picked up the 2003 release from Iron Maiden titled "Dance of Death" and I have to say it's KILLER. If you are into the classic metal sound, these guys don't give up without a fight. They go down in the books with AC/DC, Aerosmith as "getting better with age".

Likes (received)

Saw Maiden 4 times before the kids started sucking up all my money. (First time with that atrocious Paul Dianno).

Watched a tv prog about Bruce Dickinson last year and he said that these days he finds himself shouting upstairs at his kids to 'TURN THAT DAMN MUSIC DOWN'

Karma.
    M Johnston

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Dex

Watched a tv prog about Bruce Dickinson last year and he said that these days he finds himself shouting upstairs at his kids to 'TURN THAT DAMN MUSIC DOWN'
    If the kids are listening to anything iron maiden released in the last 15 years then i don't blame him

btw poor ole clive burr has MS or summat, he was always my favourite drummer as a kid

Likes (received)

ditto on the new record. it rocks.

the cover art blows chunks though...and that is too bad, because the record is terrific!
    John R. Stebbins
    Seattle Kobukan
    Matsumura Kenpo
    seakobukan@matsumurakenpo.org
    http://www.matsumurakenpo.org

Likes (received)

Metal is not dead... It's lurking in a dark alley off Rue St. Catherines in Montreal. And one day hip-hop is going to walk past that dark alley. It's going to stop and peer in, and then, before it can so much as utter a death cry, metal is going to leap out of the dumpster beside the creepy looking chinese restaurant, rip it's weasely suburbanified little head off of its skinny little pencil neck and feast on it's overripe intestines... Just wait... You'll see...

Oh yeah... new album rocks the Kazbah. Maybe if I listen to it enough I'll forget the name Metallica
    Iain Richardson, compulsive post-having cake eater-wanter.

"He shoots first who laughs last."
    - Alexsandr Lebed,

kenshorin Guest

Psssh. Metal isn't dead. People who aren't in the know just don't know where to find it. (In other words, no it ain't on MTV)

There's plenty of new metal (as opposed to nu-metal, blech) bands coming out. And older metal bands that have been around for a while getting new exposure.

I'll have to check out the new Maiden album. I haven't heard anything off it yet.

Likes (received)

Cool Up the Irons!

Metal will never die..at least as long as I'm around. I'll give the new album a listen, though I haven't been pleased with anything after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I had always been incredibly impressed by the literary and historical content of Maiden songs...almost all of the early ones after "Killers". But after a hiatus I took a listen to "Fear of the Dark" and swore off them. What utter drek. "Tailgunner...tailgunner..dum,dum,dum, Tailgunner!". Blech.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Talking Live......

By the way, Maiden destroyed us last night in LA

My ears are still ringing!

Metal Lives!!

I also thought their first "reunion" CD, "Brave New World", was very strong.
    Robert Fittro

G. Zepeda Guest

Metal and hip hop got mixed a long, long, time ago...ever hear of Ice T?

Likes (received)

Actually, you are thinking of Body Count, Ice T's little short lived side project.

While I kinda liked Body Count, its not in the same vein as the classic metal bands (of which, unfortunately, Metallica falls into now).

There is plenty of real metal out there, just not hitting the airwaves (in the US).

j
    John R. Stebbins
    Seattle Kobukan
    Matsumura Kenpo
    seakobukan@matsumurakenpo.org
    http://www.matsumurakenpo.org

Likes (received)

Originally posted by G. Zepeda
    Metal and hip hop got mixed a long, long, time ago...ever hear of Ice T?
    Yeah, and then Hip-hop decided it preferred the lyrical and social content of 80's hair metal, and their bastard son -rap-metal- became trapped in whiney suburban 'daddy won't buy me an SUV' kid land. At least from a mainstream perspective. Metal already exorcised its crappiness in the form of the large fetid droppings that were the hair bands of the late 80's- early 90's. As soon as hip-hop finally finishes turding out the suburbs and it's idiot 'pimp' mythology and gets back to its roots, maybe I'll grow some respect for it again.

Honestly, I never got Rap or Hip-Hop. Completely missed that boat. I do look at some of the older stuff and I can respect it's social content. I can also respect it's roots in Motown and Blues music, but like I said, it's gotta come back to those roots, and as long as it's an appendage of suburbia, it's never going to do that.
    Iain Richardson, compulsive post-having cake eater-wanter.

"He shoots first who laughs last."
    - Alexsandr Lebed,

Likes (received)

Iain,
    Have a listen to Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet" sometime and see if that doesn't change your view on rap a little bit.
    Chuck Munyon
    charles.munyon@gmail.com
    University Hospitals, Case Medical Center

Mekugi Guest

Or Anthrax and the "I'm the Man" Remix, which really was the first part of the rap/metal fusion ; AKA the most excellent and politically motived band "Rage Against the Machine".
    DMX kicked some butt too.

I like rap and I was never part of that "rap against metal thing" myself. It's music man, some sucks hard core and some is really well made, then you have different opinions on what is stinky and what rocks.

BTW...I have a copy of Jazz Guitar Bach back at home...I think that is off the hook too.

-Russ

Originally posted by Chuck Munyon
    Iain,
    Have a listen to Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet" sometime and see if that doesn't change your view on rap a little bit.