Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The nerve of the radical left.

Likes (received)

Default The nerve of the radical left.

Here it comes. Watch for some serious Bush bashing, on his record of service. This to include major snooping, digging and prying. The Dems just won't rest till they come up with some dirt.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

TenguAteMyPuppy Guest

Oh, yeah, those Dems, they're just so radical 'n stuff and the Republicans are just little sweethearts.

The politics of realistic presidential candidates do not differ enough to justify calling either one radical. Neither of them seem to grasp certain important documents, like the Constitution, or the Bill of rights. In fact, both of them are highly proficient when it comes to hurling feces* (their minions included) at said documents.

This country is such desperate need of a big, gigantic enema...

(However, in the event they turn out to be right about Bush's service record, I fully expect you to sport the E-Budo dunce cap.)

*AKA: John Ashcroft

Likes (received)

I didn't know a radical Communist Party ran in the US presidential elections. Nice to know all the other parties will be fighting fair though. Unless Phil Elmore runs for president.
    Jonathan Adrian Treloar
    Perception is strong, Sight is weak - Musashi
    Right forearm is strong, Sight is weak - Treloar

Likes (received)

Default Kerry

Hasn't one of Bush's rival, Kerry or whatever his name is just got his name in the papers for having a 2 year affair? i don't see the problem really, its his own life, now if he had done something like kiddie - fiddling then thats a different case!

Likes (received)

Speaking as a non American let you give you my view.

Some of my American friends immediately accused the press of gutter politics when some people were quizzing about Bush's military record, but I saw the TV interview and Bush offered up all of his records, fair and square. You can't bitch bout that and you sure can't bitch about anyone who takes Bush up on his offer.

Is it true that if these records show contravention of certain drugs or alcohol laws...Bush was not eligible for duty? (That is a rumour going around in the UK)

As far as Kerry shagging an intern, I will be comparing it to the Arnie accusations and reactions.
    M Johnston

Likes (received)

'radical left'? In the US? Don't make me laugh. You guys wouldn't know radical left if it brained you right between the eyes with a wrought iron hammer and sickle.
    Iain Richardson, compulsive post-having cake eater-wanter.

"He shoots first who laughs last."
    - Alexsandr Lebed,

Likes (received)

Of course we wouldn't recognize it, we just spent 40 keeping it from conquering Europe for you. Who do you think faught the cold war Iain? It certainly wasn't Canada, you guys were almost on your knees with the vaseline for the USSR's convenience.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

Yeah shito I remember.

I remember all the promises being made by the West to the people behind the wall about how much better their lives would be if they followed our 'capitalist' system.

We sure kept our promise.
    M Johnston

Likes (received)

Yes, I'm sure that it was all so much better living under the oppressive rule of the USSR with the threat of nuclear war

Give me a break.

Harvey Moul

dopefish Guest

You two are both right and wrong. THe cold war was a waste of human effort. Yeah lets build missles. Screw feeding people. Weapons will make the world safer. Nah, no one else will get their hands on these masses of unchecked stockpiles of killing machines. Work together? F that lets work against each other until everyone goes bankrupt. We are still paying the debt of the ridiculous period in time to this very day. So lets move past the right and wrong stage and WORK TOGETHER PLEASE!!!!!

Likes (received)

You LIBERAL!!

Now you are completely unable to respond.

[pedantry]

George Lakov, a linguist of decidedly progressive bent, has outspokenly admired the Republican's domination of language in framing the national debate. The left has allowed the right to define the terms. Even the words "right" and "left" (aka sinister, gauche) are prejudicial at a subconscious level. The word "liberal" has been made a pejorative, and the mantra "tax and spend liberal" sounds like one word to our ears, same as "damn Yankee" is to us Southerners.

Another example is the phrase "tax relief", which casts paying taxes as an unfair burden, when in fact we all enjoy huge benefits from paying our taxes (infrastructure, services, protection). It is can also be framed as paying dues at the world's best country club. The Dems counter-mantra is "tax breaks for the rich", which is semantically weaker, thus less resonant subconsciously. Whether they are right, or Keynesian policy actually works, is another question. The linguistic issue is that whoever most successfully frames the debate and defines the terms has already won.

[\pedantry]

To answer your serious issue, there is the concept of "Democratic Peace", which is the theory that democracies never attack each other. Democracies are not inherently more peaceful, they just only fight authoritarian countries. The democracies believe the authoritartian regimes will be arbitrarily hostile and attack, so they build up weapons and threaten back. Which causes the spiral towards war. Nuclear weapons only scared us away from total war, while allowing for myriad conventional skirmishes. Perhaps when all the countries of the world are democratic, we will not have wars any more. The only other alternative is hegemony, either an all-powerful empire or all states ceding sovereignty to the UN or other world body (which would have to have military power to enforce the peace).
    Jack Bieler

"The best things can't be told; the second best are misunderstood; the third best are what we talk about." - after Heinrich Zimmer

Likes (received)

Keynes was an idiot. He based his theories on how he thought people should behave (based on an extremely liberal thought process) and not what actually happens in any given situation. People are far more aware of their bottom line and pocketbook than Keynes ever imagined.

Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

I got to agree with Ian on this one there is no radical left in US politics. Do you know that several party's who we in the Netherlands consider right extremists are almost in line with the democrats ? You don't even want to know how extremely right the republicans are compared to us.

Oh and by the way I`m a big lefty in a country of lefty's (internationally speaking), and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the political left. The only way we are going to get this world together is thrue international coöperation and proper care of the poor in the world.

p.s. The party I belong to is a mix of the former communist party and the green party so flame away harvey !
    Last edited by Jouke; 13th February 2004 at 23:53.
    Jouke Hulzenga

TenguAteMyPuppy Guest

Unless Phil Elmore runs for president.
    As a side note, if this happens, I would like to be his campaign manager.

TenguAteMyPuppy Guest

and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the political left. The only way we are going to get this world together is thrue international coöperation and proper care of the poor in the world.
    Have you considered stand up comedy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast