Likes Likes:  0

Thread: HELP NEEDED: researching kusarigamajutsu

Likes (received)

Default HELP NEEDED: researching kusarigamajutsu

Hello all,

I have been charged with writing an article for my instructor on the kusarigama, and I'm having a bit of difficulty.

My current research suggests that the kusarigama was oringally taught under the banner of Isshin/Ishin Ryu, which appears to now have been subsumed into the wider teachings Shinto Muso Ryu. There is a suggestion that a samuria monk by the name of Nen Ami Jion may have been instrumental in the formal founding of the teaching, around the 15th century sometime.

However, the majority of my research is web-based and I have slightly conflicting dates. Does anyone know of a book where any of this is referenced? Or maybe some sensei who wouldn't mind me contacting them for the purposes of research.

I do stress, that I'm not after training in the kusarigama, but am just looking into the history of it.

Thanks
    Martin Adil-Smith

"Words come easy, behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen..."

Likes (received)

Arrow Book

Check out the article Kusarigama - The Chain-and-Sickle in Ellis Amdur's Old School: Essays on Japanese Martial Traditions.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Try Peter Boylan or some of his books at

www.mugendobudogu.com

Isshinryu? Shinto Muso ryu?

Yup, have a good time getting a clear answer.
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

Default Ta muchly!

Thanks for all your pointers - it has helped no end. But as is the way with these things, more questions have been raised than been answered.

1) I have referenced the name of Nen Ami Jion as having a major role in the founding of Isshin Ryu (which may have also be named Isshin Ko Ryu) circa 1408. However, I have also traced a Soma Shiro Yoshimoto who appears to have founded Maniwa Nen-ryu kenjutsu in either 1368 or the middle 1390's... who was later known as Nen Ami Jion!! Does anyone know anthing about this name? Is it used with same frequency as say, "Jubei"? Or is it a pretty unique name?

2) Isshin Ryu appears to have been absorbed in Shinto Muso (also known as Shindo Muso) Ryu. Does anyone know the story behind this? I have got 2 conflicting stories - one involves Tan Isshin, the other Muso Gonnosuke. Does anyone know the history of these two characters?

Yours in budo
    Martin Adil-Smith

"Words come easy, behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen..."

Likes (received)

Muso Gonnosuke was an exponent of the Tenshinshoden Katori Shinto Ryu.

After loosing a rokushakubo vs. nitto match with Miyamoto Musashi he developed the Jodo art that became Shindo Muso Ryu.

For more information, click here: Shindo Muso Ryu Website
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I would also suggest a look at Serge Mol's book, Classical Weaponry of Japan, he doesn't delve into the histories of various ryu-ha but has several pages on different morphologies and styles of construction.

Also, if you go to the Sui-o Ryu website there is an article in the downloads section that has an overview of the art in general and within it has a photo of the unique kusarigama that is used in that tradition along with some history on it's development.

http://www.suioryu-usa.org/Download.html

Dave Hassenzahl
    David Hassenzahl

Likes (received)

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have an email for Peter Boylan?
    The one on the website doesn't seem to have go to him.

Cheers
    Martin Adil-Smith