Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Troy review

Likes (received)

Default Troy review

Sorry, but I really need a break from the interminable postings on the war, my mind is about ready to explode, so...

Anybody seen Troy yet? Anyone care to post a review?

For me, I saw it last night and it was, well, worth seeing in the theater for a big ol' epic sense, a nice way to get out of the desert heat and be passively entertained for a few hours. Some major disappointments too though. Fairly predictable, at this point, late 90's, 2000's formal conventions, like the wailing soundtrack, two armies smashing into each other, etc.

My biggest disappointment is the role of Achilles. Greek drama and epics were based on flat characters juxtaposed to each other, not rounded "character development". So they made Achilles pretty different... I can elaborate if anyone cares, but by making it Brad's movie, complete with romantic relationship, Wolfgang Petersen detracted mucho from the Iliad. Still, Brad did a good job I suppose, and the solo combat scenes were flashy but watchable, though a few times I grimaced.

Eric Bana did a great job as Hector. I always liked Hector and saw him as the true hero of the Iliad, but these days we seem to like the Achilles/Ajax type...

Orlando Bloom basically shot arrows like Legolas. Watch for it. Helen is suitably pretty and vapid, I don't think I know who the actress is. Sean Bean is great as Odysseus, my other favorite character from Iliad.

There are some other disappointments, principally Agamemmnon, but go ahead and watch it. Some nice touches here and there too. Hopefully this won't be the only idea you have of classical literature. For a very interesting modern treatment of the greeks, get a hold of Frank Miller's graphic novel/comic, 300...And for Zeus's sake, read the real thing too (though I have always liked the Odyssey and Sophocles better than Iliad). The single worst part was when some jock in the audience said loudly, "Oh is that why we call it the achilles tendon? Wow." And his friends said "Yeah that might be why, I think so." No clue. I almost told them to stop skipping their classes...

Overall, I would say it's worth a throwaway afternoon at matinee price, but it isn't by far the best epic, or treatment of the story I've seen or could imagine.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Likes (received)

Well, with the worthless state of what passes for an "education" anymore (thank you teacher's union and your deliberate efforts to create generations of uneducated Americans who embrace hyper-liberalism and PC) I'm sure that most of the audience under 35 is not even aware that it is based on Homer's stories.

For a good read on the subject, get a copy of Dan Simmmons' "Illium" and has forthcoming "Olympus". A pair of sci-fi books that give the orginal story a new treatment with a twist.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

JGApprentice Guest

I always like the irony of Trojan condoms. Prince Pariis (sp) stealing Queen Helen, makin passionate love, is that what we're telling the new generation of kids? Go abduct someone you like and make sweet sweet... until she shows her fancy.

And remember, use condoms imported all the way from Troy.

Likes (received)

Default See you in ten!

your deliberate efforts to create generations of uneducated Americans who embrace hyper-liberalism and PC
    Heh, wrong prof there. And so much for attempting a politics-free thread.
    Last edited by nicojo; 16th May 2004 at 02:28.
    J. Nicolaysen
    -------
    "I value the opinion much more of a grand master then I do some English professor, anyways." Well really, who wouldn't?

We're all of us just bozos on the budo bus and there's no point in looking to us for answers regarding all the deep and important issues.--M. Skoss.

Gene Williams Guest

Nicojo, I appreciate the review. I'll see the movie. One of my profs in Ancient History said that Hector represents the man of the city- settled, tame, and not ruthless enough to deal with Achilles and the Greeks, who represent passion, fierceness, and a truly untamed warrior culture. At the time these wars supposedly took place, that may make sense. Anyway, I have always liked the Odyssey better, my favorite part being when Odysseus returns home. The suitors, who could not even string his bow, are summarily done away with when Odysseus walks in, strings the bow effortlessly, and begins his just revenge. And, yes, students are learning nothjing now but PC crap. I do not blame you for that, however.

Likes (received)

Default it was not bad

Hey Guys,
    I just got back from seeing it. I though it was ok. I know the story lines behind the myths it was not bad at all.
    George Sousa

Likes (received)

Was it just me or did they use every chance to show off the half-naked super-hunks?

Paris (sp) was total trash. Orlando was pathetic in the role.

Likes (received)

Forum Rules:

Profanity will not be tolerated.
    Harvey Moul

Likes (received)

Hmm.
    I don't understand why the Trojans didn't shoot Achilles when it was evident that he was taking Hector's body? Isn't that highly offensive?

Likes (received)

Achilles was half immortal and had been dipped into the River Styx by his mother when he was an infant, rendering him invulnerable to harm (the first superhero). Unless you knew exactly where to strike, nothing you did was going to affect him and his status as a demigod was widely known.

In the original poem, Hector ran from Achilles and dishonored himself in doing so. So while dragging him three times around the walls of Troy was a vaste insult, Hector had sort of left himself open for that sort of treatment. Of course, Achilles was in a total bloodlust at the moment and by modern standards most likely would have found himself inside a mental institution at a young age. Achilles fought and killed for glory knowing he was immortal. He also knew by prophecy that he would die at Troy and would be remembered for all time. Achilles was pretty much a jerk.

Harvey Moul

JGApprentice Guest

Forum Rules:

Profanity will not be tolerated.
    Treat your fellow E-Budo members with respect.

Anyway, I thought Achilles got real softy after a battle or two, so he stopped and became philosophical. And when Hector killed his friend, Achilles rejoined the battle. Isn't how the real epic goes?

Likes (received)

I just saw the movie last night when you read the story and seen the
    many versions done its like watching a rerun.
    What I liked about this one was it dealt with circumstance and being human.It showed how religion plays an important role in life(even a deadly and stupid one at times) It showed that love can be found in very ironic ways.It true that the story is very focused on Acheilles
    (I think its more focused on every 20min Brad is naked)
    and Helen is very very minor in the movie.I loved the night raid on the beach very tactical I wish more movies had these tactics in it.
    In the original story I thought Acheilles was killed on the beach not in Troy.I guess when they dipped Acheilles and held him by his heel it never occurred to the gods to turn him over and dip his heal again
    haha.

-chihiro jonesone

Likes (received)

Hey! I just read your profile.

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

We have one in E-Budo Hell for profanity.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default Re: Troy review

Originally posted by nicojo

Fairly predictable, at this point, late 90's, 2000's formal conventions, like the wailing soundtrack, two armies smashing into each other, etc.

My biggest disappointment is the role of Achilles. Greek drama and epics were based on flat characters juxtaposed to each other, not rounded "character development".

Eric Bana did a great job as Hector.

Orlando Bloom basically shot arrows like Legolas. Watch for it. Helen is suitably pretty and vapid, I don't think I know who the actress is. Sean Bean is great as Odysseus, my other favorite character from Iliad.

There are some other disappointments, principally Agamemmnon... I would say it's worth a throwaway afternoon at matinee price, but it isn't by far the best epic, or treatment of the story I've seen or could imagine.
    There was a lot of 'star power' in this movie, and it's hard not have some of it wasted under those circs.

Eric Bana was definitely the standout actor in the whole movie, although I thought Brad Pitt was good too, esp in the fight scenes. I can understand the criticism of his moody and somewhat nuanced character, but OTOH if Achilles had been played straight, I can equally see the character being criticised as being too one-dimensional. I thought the screenwriters made the right choice myself.

Yes, it could have been better in a lot of ways, but what was put up on the screen was pretty darn good, IMHO. I've seen movies recently that I found _far_ more disappointing.
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast