Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too Skinny For Kaku Obi

Likes (received)

Default Too Skinny For Kaku Obi

I've been having a real problem with kaku obi not staying in place because i am really really skinny, I've tried all different ties but the way my hips and whatnot are shaped eventually it slids up and gets deformed i was looking to find a haramaki to expand the space but it's been a no go so far anyone have any ideas?
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

Just make a wide wrap out an old sheet and bind it around you.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Try a heko obi...

http://www.yamatoku.jp/classic/descr...p?tno=80374770

This is just a long slightly stretchy 'limp' obi that you can wind as tightly as necessary. Of course you will have to experiment with it a bit, but it may help solve your problem. You can also improvise with something cheap from the fabric store...any light polyester or blend that has a bit of 'give' to it should do the trick.
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Default Obi support

Aloha!

Your post gave me a chuckle. One of the ladies in my dojo has such a stick figure that her entire hakama has fallen off twice!

Sensei remedied that by having her buy a thin pillow which she now wears around her waist under her hakama. The fabric is almost sticky, & doesn't move at all, even when she sweats. Her obi fits much better now, & she can even get her saya to stay in place. Good luck!

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

Default Ditto

Our patron Japanese sensei did the same thing with one of our British members who went to train with him - a thin cushion below the small of the back.
    Andy Watson

Minoru hodo
    Kobe o tareru
    Inaho ka na

http://www.simenergy.co.uk

Likes (received)

Of all the major and minor problems you find in the sword arts, this is at least one I will never have.
    Roar Ulvestad

Likes (received)

Originally posted by ulvulv
    Of all the major and minor problems you find in the sword arts, this is at least one I will never have.
    You mean I'm NOT the only one with SIGNIFICANT hara?!! I'm shocked!!!
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.

Likes (received)

It's ok having a hara if you use it!
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

If you follow my diet of just meat, chocolate and beer your hara will expand just like mine has!mmmmm....Mars bars....must get one now....
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Ben Bartlett Guest

Originally posted by Chidokan
    If you follow my diet of just meat, chocolate and beer your hara will expand just like mine has!mmmmm....Mars bars....must get one now....
    Now that's my kind of diet!

Likes (received)

That's what you think, Chidokan. But do I gain an ounce? No. I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall and weigh 145 lbs. I tie my obi so tight it's crazy, but it just likes to sneak up towards the waist and consequently loosen. And no matter what I eat I can't gain weight. You know that I went through a phase where I would eat a pint of ice cream for dessert every night? Didn't help, just made me sick of ice cream. Oh, the trials of being skinny!

I am going to stop talking now and try to escape the angry mob of dieters trying to lose weight...

Seriously though, I figured out one thing that REALLY helped with this admittedly silly "problem." Before, I would simply tie the obi and then start training. Now, I tie the obi, grab one side of it, and push it down while I raise my arm on that side all the way up. Then I do the same for the other side. This helps to push the obi down further onto your hips, and more importantly pulls the necessary fabric through so that when you raise your arms above you (say, during jodan) you don't pull your obi up with them.

Chances are that everyone else here has known this from day one and that I was just out of the loop. But maybe it will help you slightly.

Likes (received)

Question

uhmm, a pillow...?

Isn't it a bit too hot and sweaty...?
    Mingshi (Jenny) Wan

Likes (received)

Originally posted by mingshi
    uhmm, a pillow...?

Isn't it a bit too hot and sweaty...?
    Interesting fact -- In Japan, many people wear padded undergarments to give themselves the proper shape for kimono to fit. Men are _supposed_ to have [at least] a modest belly...women go for a tubular shape that minimizes the 'hourglass' effect preferred in Western fashion. It probably is somewhat hot to wear, but hey...that's what fashion is all about...
    David Anderson
    Calgary, Alberta

"Swords are the rosary of Aikido"

D. H. Skoyles Sensei 04/03/01

Nakayamakai KoAikido dojo

Likes (received)

So nobody has invented a pair of "haka suspenders" yet?
    Evan London
    Dojo-cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo
    Orange, CT
    www.Jinenkan-Inazuma.com

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Hey, Gabriel, I was also stuck at 130 pounds or so for years. I ate & drank everything, & had to eat a pound of nuts each day just to maintain my weight.

But don't worry...I can almost promise you that you'll remember these days fondly as you get a bit older! I'm still 5'10", & am working out an hour daily just to maintain myself at 190. And all those wonderful eating habits are still around to haunt me....

Ken
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast