http://ejmas.com/jcs/2004jcs/jcsart_Koizumi_0704.htm

Newaza: "The most important and interesting parts of Ne-waza are not so much the actual application of holdings or locks, but the ways of changing the position of the body and using the limbs, connected with gaining and retaining the position of advantage or control over the opponent, and extricating oneself from adverse positions. According to individual style and ideas various ways and manners of effecting the objectives of these movements may be developed, but the following basic principles underlie them all. As to the factors of efficiency, subtleness of touch, astuteness of action and reaction are matters which can be acquired only through personal experience and sustained training." More...

Atemiwaza: "The nerve centres where blows are delivered in Atemi-waza are called Kyusho or vital points. There are many such spots where a blow is traditionally regarded as deadly. The nature of Atemi-waza being what it is, it cannot be said or proved scientifically that the effect is as claimed, but in the light of modern knowledge, some claims are reasonably acceptable while many traditionally deadly blows seem to be merely the means of effecting a shock. I have selected here those which I consider to be most useful. However, I must emphasise again that the efficiency of Atemi-waza depends on correct timing, bodily action and the sharpness of action with which the blow is delivered." More...

Comment PRN (as needed).

Mark