Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter about spelling/grammatical/translation errors

Likes (received)

Default An Open Letter about spelling/grammatical/translation errors

Does spelling matter?

Of course! And so does grammar. However, an English teacher does not interupt a Social Studies class to correct the students. Correction should be done at the proper time and in the proper manner.

This topic came about because of the actions of a few members.

Now, if these particular members were to stop their Martial Arts class and correct their instructor, what punishment would they endure for these interuptions? Push-ups? Scoldings? Perhaps cleaning the floors? Who knows.

Is spelling and grammar a big part of Martial Arts? No. Truth is Martial Arts doesn't need spelling to be Martial Arts. Neither does it need grammar. Neither does it need translation. Neither does it need ranks or belts. Martial Arts is the pusuit of self-defense.

The way I see it, if these members wouldn't correct their instructor's spelling and grammatical errors during class, they also shouldn't against other people. Would they say, "Sensei? Don't you mean punch instead of puch here in the handbook, and isn't this a dangling participle?" No. They wouldn't during class out of respect. These same members do not respect their fellow E-Budo members. How do I know? Simple. I was corrected on spelling on another occasion by a different member. They contacted me by PM. They told me how I could get it corrected. You see, it is how you do it.

So to those of you who who do this (you know who you are), please consider that just because you are a Martial Artist that have flawless writing skills, doesn't mean you have to ridicule and bring to a stop an entire discussion to satisfy and stroke your ego. Lord knows that any more stroking and that thing might go off!

Here is my suggestion. Since spelling/grammar/translation errors are high on the list of pet peeves for these members, lets have all potential posts screened for speeling/grammar/translation errors before they go up. And let's have these members be the ones to screen them all.
    David Dyer
    4th Dan Black Belt
    Ro-Ken Karate Association

It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Your ability to express yourself in a text medium such as this one goes directly to one's credibility online. Whining about it only emphasizes one's lack of ability in this regard.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Publisher, The Martialist™
    For Those Who Fight Unfairly

Likes (received)

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting medical studies:

1. Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. Africans drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. English language is apparently what kills you.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
    Your ability to express yourself in a text medium such as this one goes directly to one's credibility online. Whining about it only emphasizes one's lack of ability in this regard.
    Some leeway however is surely deserving for the people who don't have English as their first language.

Basically put, my German/French/Russian/Japanese/Chinese/Whatever would have to be pretty good before I would get petty on their posting in English although saying this, I note that most of the mistakes come from people who have English as their first language.

Cheers,

Matt.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by CEB
    CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. English language is apparently what kills you.
    Brilliant.

Cheers,

Matt.

Likes (received)

I had an English teacher tell me once that English is the hardest language to learn. It has so many rules that overide other rules not to mention the spelling rules are just plain crazy. She was amazed that anybody that spoke a different language could actually learn and in most casses become profecient in English. I have to say that I agree with her. Feel free to correct grammer/spelling mistakes I make. I know that it doesnt matter how I say or spell something as long as the point I am trying to make comes across the correct way.
    Susie Forbes
    Alabama Shorinji Kempo

Likes (received)

My mum teaches English as a foreign language.

Most of the stuff she teaches I don't know.

English grammar hasn't been taught here in England for many years ... I've never had any specific grammar teaching sicne i first learnt to cobble a sentance together.
    Huw Larsen

Number 1 member of the Default Collective of Misfits

Likes (received)

Originally posted by CEB
    Ah, but Americans don't speak english do they........ not real english anyway
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

There are more people currently speaking "American English" than "The Queen's English", so we win.

Aside from a few spelling variations and nouns they are mostly identical. Which can make it fun when having conversations with those that aren't up on the differences.

Part of the problem is that schools (public ones anyway) no longer teach sentence construction, grammar, and spelling. Most high school graduates currently have a 5th or 6th grade understanding of their native tongue.

OF course, trying to maintain the rules of the language as static from 150 years ago is silly. The rules then were based upon the common usage, which has changed significantly in several regards in the meantime.

Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Shitoryu Dude
    Aside from a few ... nouns they are mostly identical.
    Like "Fanny".

Or the way you think "Randy" is a proper noun, rather than an adjective...
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Depends on capitalization.

We just think it is funny as all hell when you name someone "butt"
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

Phil,

Wouldn't that make what happened to my thread make Tony Kehoe an Agenda Troll?

He's on a personal mission to correct spelling/grammatical errors to the point it kills the discussion.
    David Dyer
    4th Dan Black Belt
    Ro-Ken Karate Association

It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. - Albert Einstein

I haven't read the thread in question. I'd put him on ignore if he bothers you.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
    Credibility:
    The quality of being plausible, believable, dependable, or worthy of confidence.

The ability to express yourself (articulate) has very little to do with the qualitive substance of actual content being expressed. So which does give one credibility online the ability to articulate nonsense well or the actual substance and quality of the content being expressed rather than the method?

The assumption that one's credibility is directly linked to their level or ability to articulate themselves is just another form of elitist sophistry for ego-centric individuals IMO.
    Greg Clarke
    清隆会 Shinto Muso Ryu
    兵法 Niten Ichi Ryu

"Seek out the middle of the two we's in I"

The ability to express yourself (articulate) has very little to do with the qualitive substance of actual content being expressed. So which does give one credibility online the ability to articulate nonsense well or the actual substance and quality of the content being expressed rather than the method?

The assumption that one's credibility is directly linked to their level or ability to articulate themselves is just another form of elitist sophistry for ego-centric individuals IMO.
    Like it or not, people judge you in life based on how you conduct yourself and on how you communicate with them. The smartest person in the world, when speaking in a trailer-trash accent evocative of Jerry Springer talkshow guests, sounds stupid regardless of the words he speaks.

In a text medium like this one, your ability to write becomes even more important. Your sentences are the readers' only means of getting to "know" you. I've known brilliant teachers whose online "voice" sounded nothing like their real-life communication, and they come across as much less than they truly are as a result.

This is not necessarily "fair" -- but it is an inescapable fact of this medium. Certainly, if we take the time to get to know someone personally, we come to understand him -- and to place in him credibility -- in ways that we never could based solely on his written words. Seldom will any of us truly get to know other participants in this medium, however. The vast majority of us are and always will be letters on a screen. The vast majority of us are and always will be making judgments about the intelligence, knowledge base, and credibility of the others with whom we speak based on how well they do that.

Take, for example, "ACAMAC." His inability to write coherently made him a joke almost before he began. Chances are we might not have thought him completely mad had he been able to communicate in English. The same could well be true of, say, Bruce Baker.

None of us is perfect. All of us will be judged on how close to that ideal we come, on average. This is not egotism; this is not sophistry; this is not elitism. This is simply the nature of this environment.
    - ©Phil Elmore 浪人

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast