Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what's required to be a GM in martial arts?

Likes (received)

In IKKA Kenpo if you have been hanging around the Kenpo crowd for at least a decade you can move to a new location and call yourself a grandmaster of your own Kenpo splinter style.

There are more IKKA Kenpo "grandmasters" than you can shake a stick at, most of them 6th dan or less in actual accredited ability.

Personally, I feel that if you want to be a grandmaster you should spend 5 or 6 decades in training.

Last edited by Shitoryu Dude; 4th January 2005 at 03:21.
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

Default EPAK titls

Harvey,

I found this at another board regarding Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate Systems.

EPAK Kenpo Black Belt Titles are as follows:

JI (Junior Instructor) if he or she is a first degree Black Belt
      AI (Associate Instructor) for a second degree Black Belt
      HI (Head Instructor) for a third degree Black Belt
      SI (Senior Instructor) for a forth degree Black Belt
      AP (Associate Professor) for a fifth degree Black Belt

P (Professor) for a sixth degree Black Belts
      SP (Senior Professor) for those reaching seventh degree Black Belt
      AMA (Associate Master of the Arts) for an eighth degree Black Belt
      MA (Master of the Arts) for an ninth degree Black Belt
      SMA (Senior Master of the Arts) for a tenth degree Black Belt.

But you are all missing the key defining element for a GM (although I did like Lee's overall decription).

The title "Grandmaster" is based on number of franchises (dojo's) in your style organization.

I think ten franchises used to be the minimum number - but that standard may have slipped in the past decade!
    John McPartland
    Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!  I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Soulend
    Where are you exactly Mr. Viti? Man, I miss Italy. Well, except for Naples.
    I am in Tuscany,close to Florence ,Siena,and also Pisa(city of the leaning tower).Were you living in Italy at some point of your life?Tripitaka of AA wrote:To answer the question; lots of Arts, lots of titles, too many self-appointed Grand Masters.
    To this extent,I happened to read the section about bad budo,just after I posted my message.Boy,I got scared...
    How can people be allowed to self-appoint

like that?I came up with a good name for my GM school:school of mieowing cat -karate,how's that?
    Massimo Viti

Likes (received)

"School of meowing cat Karate"

To follow the normal route, you now need to find someone with limited knowledge of Japanese to translate it for you. The best GMs go for some kind of bad translation that twists their original meaning in some unintentional comedy way... so for example your name might look like it is made from the Kanji for cat and meowing, but to a Japanese might more easily be read as "hermaphrodite alleycat karate massage parlour".That is the way to go... if you want to be like some of the Super Grand Masters!
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Originally posted by mawashi geri
    I am in Tuscany,close to Florence ,Siena,and also Pisa(city of the leaning tower).Were you living in Italy at some point of your life?
    No, though I have visited several places on different occasions..Sicily too. Wonderful part of the world.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Soulend
    I'll make you one for only 19.95 USD plus shipping.
    Does that come with a certificate of authenticity?
    Jonathan Wood

Likes (received)

Yes, hastily scribbled in magic marker on a napkin.
    James A. Crippen

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Tripitaka of AA
    "School of meowing cat Karate"

To follow the normal route, you now need to find someone with limited knowledge of Japanese to translate it for you. The best GMs go for some kind of bad translation that twists their original meaning in some unintentional comedy way... so for example your name might look like it is made from the Kanji for cat and meowing, but to a Japanese might more easily be read as "hermaphrodite alleycat karate massage parlour".That is the way to go... if you want to be like some of the Super Grand Masters!
    I usually hate butchering languages even if by chance,imagine me doing it on purpose
    but I will have to,if I want to be a GM
    I also might take Soulend's offer,if it is still valid 19,95 is a reasonable price I believe
    Massimo Viti

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2