Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Budo: The Art of Killing -- Cast info sought

Likes (received)

You could, perhaps, send me a pm with your questions.
    Tom DeAngelo
    "If you fall down seven times, get up eight."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    LOL! Yeah, that wouldn't put him in the good graces of the producers, would it.

I, too, thought the scenes of Fujimoto Sensei whacking the steam engine and such were over-done -- to "artsy fartsy" as they say. I did find most of the film to be interesting -- even fascinating at times. The Aikido was definitely not the only "worthwhile bit" for me.
    I had a brief conversation with my karate sensei about the bit where the fellow (Shogo Kuniba s.?) takes it out on those poor defenseless beer bottles. He and I came to the same conclusion.

'What a waste.'

I can remember when I first saw it--several years ago--on the video store shelf and thought 'yeah, right.' However, after viewing it, and learning of the history of the production, it must have made some sort of positive impact on me, as it's currently on my DVD shelf!
    Chris Hodsdon

Likes (received)

Default Budo: The Art of Killing

This title is one of many martial art's documentaries available for RENT at www.BushidoDVD.com They are expensive titles to purchase, so it makes sense to rent them.
    Brad Jorgenson

Likes (received)

Here is the video for 18 bucks

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...99&cat=&page=1

The DVD is pretty reasonable too. But other titles can be expensive so having a rental option is a great idea.
    Matthew Rogers
    Scarborough Martial Arts Training Group
    http://www.spiritforging.com

Likes (received)

Default Kenjutsu kata

I asked Mr. Owens about this segment near the beginning of film but I thought that I would open it up to others.

I was wondering which ryu the first two practitioners seen doing 2 man kenjutsu kata in the film are practising. It is characterized by a little hopping, rising head movement which seems to indicate the uchitachi is going to commence the next phase of the kata sequence and is echoed by the shitachi.

Mr Owens kindly mentioned that he had determined that it was from Shinkage ryu system but I was wondering if anyone else might have some input here.

Thanks.
    Matthew Rogers
    Scarborough Martial Arts Training Group
    http://www.spiritforging.com

Likes (received)

The commentary that accompanies this segment says that they are from the Shinkage scool of fencing... Brian's spot-on...
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

livingsword Guest

Default Shuji Matsushita

This post is in reply to info on Shuji Matsushita. I currently study under him and his sons and Sensei Hill at the Shu Do Kan dojo in Stroudsburg Pennsylvania. He teaches iaido, taijutsu and kendo. Currently he is in Japan taking care of his parents but has a house here where his sons live. I believe he is coming back in February 2006.
    Steve

Likes (received)

Thank you Steve, and welcome to the forum.

Tom DeAngelo provided some information on Matsushita Sensei as well, earlier in the thread, but any details you can provide -- or even invite your sensei to join this thread on his return! -- would be appreciated.

Many of us are very interested in any details about him and his martial arts history.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hi Steve.

I wondered how long it would take before someone from the dojo would find this thread....
    Tom DeAngelo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    Thank you Steve, and welcome to the forum.

Tom DeAngelo provided some information on Matsushita Sensei as well, earlier in the thread, but any details you can provide -- or even invite your sensei to join this thread on his return! -- would be appreciated.

Many of us are very interested in any details about him and his martial arts history.

Brian,

Sorry I didn't see this for so long....

Sensei is back currently (just had class with him on Wed. evening!).

I believe, on further reflection, that Kazutora Toyoshima is Matsushita-sensei's instructor. I am not POSITIVE of this, but I believe so, and I didn't get a chance to ask Sensei on Wed. night. I rarely get a chance to just sit and chat with Sensei, and all I've heard so far is about his teacher, who's name sounds to my ears like "tie-shi-mo". Considering I'm not Japanese, and considerig the pronunciations I've heard of Japanese names/words, I'm surmising that Toyoshima-sensei is the man Matsushita-sensei speaks of, because I know that Matsushita-sensei's teacher was credited in "Budo". I have not been able to google much about Toyoshima, except sporadic hits that relate him to kendo and, more frequently, Hikida Shinkage Ryu kenjutsu.

Matsushita-ensei is *completely* surprised that people are so interested in him. We (those of us who poke around on the 'net) let him know that people have a very active interest in him and his part in "Budo", to which he replied, "Really?".

Sensei received nothing by way of compensation for his part in "Budo". He was an uchi-deshi at the time it was being filmed. One of my students produced some high resolution screen captures from "Budo" and turned them into very nice 4x6 and 8x10 prints for Sensei, and Sensei was astonished (in a good way) to see them. When he was given a set of the prints, he was beaming. He told us all he really wanted from his "Budo" participation was to have some pictures from it, which he was never able to obtain (until now!). I do believe Andy (my student) made Sensei's day when he produced those pictures!

At any rate, the likelihood of getting more info in the immediate sense is not great, as I won't see Sensei again until the tail end of May.
    Tom DeAngelo

Likes (received)

Default Three More Credits

getting smacked by the kaishaku at the Zen center
    OUCH!!!! ..... OH!!! you mean "Kyosaku" ("Keisaku" in Soto-shu). Kaishaku is beheading.

Speaking of which ... the opening seppuku scene is performed by Hayashi Kunishiro, the NHK tateshi -- action coordinator -- and kaicho of Wakakoma-Puro (Young-Colt Productions). Hayashi sensei still does all the samurai coordination and provides expert cultural advice (e.g., samurai mounted horses from the right side so the tachi is out of the way) for the samurai-period Taiga Dorama (Great River Dramas).

Nakamura sensei pretty much agreed about the silly "Art of Killing" title. He also said the film lost its endorsement from the Monbusho -- Ministry of Education -- because of it's depiction of Sumo, a professional sport; and, because of his final scene where he lops off Obata Toshishiro's head.

The sumotori was Takamiyama Daigoro, aka Jesse James Waluni Kahaulau, first non-Japanese rikishi.

Cheers,
    Guy
    Last edited by ghp; 2nd March 2006 at 02:26. Reason: Grammar
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Another Possible Credit

It's been a while since I last viewed "Einaru Budo," but wasn't one of the archers the priest Suhara Koun, of Engaku-ji in Kamakura?

Or, am I really mixed-up?

--Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ghp
    It's been a while since I last viewed "Einaru Budo," but wasn't one of the archers the priest Suhara Koun, of Engaku-ji in Kamakura?
    The only archery I recall was yabusame, not Kyudo; at least on the English-language VHS version I have.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ghp
    ...his final scene where he lops off Obata Toshishiro's head.
    That was Obata Sensei!?!

I'll have to watch it again tonight. I didn't recognize him with hair.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Yeah, Obata sensei really liked that. Compare him to these images when he's about 25 years old:

Err .... what you do not see in the bottom image is the HUGE beer bottle that had just been tossed under the engawa [the "porch"] -- seriously.

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp; 2nd March 2006 at 21:13. Reason: beer bottle
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast