Likes Likes:  0

Thread: R.I.P. Mr. Miyagi

Likes (received)

Default R.I.P. Mr. Miyagi

It appears that actor Pat Morita, famous for the "Mr.Miyagi" role in the Karate Kid movies has passed away.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

R.I.P.

Likes (received)

For many of us he provided an impetus to begin or continue our martial path. He will be missed.
    Roberto Valenzuela
    Owari Kan-ryu sojutsu (尾張貫流槍術)
    Shinkage-ryu heiho (新陰流兵法)

"Be intelligent, but do not be artificially intelligent." --Kung Fu Proverb

"Culture Check: Korean Arts still determined to make indigenous martial history from 4,000 year old cave drawings. France counters by claiming Savaate developed from hunting woolly mammoths before Ice Age." --The Nth Degree

Likes (received)

Bummer....
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Likes (received)

I grew up on Karate Kid. This is heartbreaking.

Likes (received)

Of all the martial arts films I have watched. Toshishiro Mifune and Pat Morita were my top favorite. I will missed them both. Mr. Morita imbued so much as to what Karate was all about. Rest in Peace Mr. Morita !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default Telling tales out of school

A friend went to High School here in Mass., and was an extra on the Next Karate Kid. He said that Mr. Morita was a very friendly chap, who on break would, w/out fail, shmooze everyone... No star complex there. He seems to have had a penchant for saying bawdy things to entertain the youngsters on set.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

I really liked is character in the series he created, O'Hara.

I will miss him.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Perifanos Guest

Rest in Peace Mr. Morita.

He looked like a very simple and nice man.

Likes (received)

This plus George Best on the same day. Megabummer.
    Paul Kerr

Likes (received)

Default a ture bugeisha

This is truely a sad day, films aside, this man engendered more of the bushi spirit than many realise, he was in fact a modernday connection to the old ways, without training, without grades, he was a cultural essence:

http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue6/Morita.html
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

Sad - for a guy who was slated to never be able to walk, he did pretty good!
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Damn..
    I was watching Volcano High just the other day and was reminded how class an act Pat Morita was..A shame..
    Steve..Got your bokuto mate..
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Default Braddah Pat

I had the good fortune to meet Pat Morita a couple of times. As people say, he was a really great guy. He knew he was an actor pretending to be a martial arts master, and so he never put on any airs or attitudes like many other martial arts movie stars we hear about. As a former stand up comedian, he could make people laugh.

While I can't say much for the later Karate Kid spin offs, he did try to do his best to imbue the original KK movie and the first movie's Miyagi character with as much authenticity as possible, given the demands of the Hollywood movie machine. A mutual friend, who served as a kind of informal agent for him in Hawai'i, said that it was a constant battle on the set with Pat, the writer and martial arts choreographer all striving to try to get the "right" things about Japanese culture and budo culture inserted in the movie, along with the demands for making a sensationalistic, big-bucks motion picture.

That drunk scene, where the Miyagi character tells Macchio about how his wife died while she was in an American Concentration--whoops, sorry, Internment --Camp; Pat loved the script but the bean counters wanted it cut. He fought tooth and nail to keep it in the final edit because he felt it gave more meaning to the movie's story than a simple one of him being an omnipotent, all-knowing mysterious Oriental feller that spoke in tangents ("wipe on, wipe offu"). And it was meaningful to him because he was a kid in one of those camps, with a spinal condition that had him paraplegic for a while. His only heroes at the time were the young AJA men who visited the camp who went on to become members of the 100th Batallion and 442nd RCT, hence the little bit about Macchio finding a box of medals and seeing Miyagi's old WWII Go For Broke patch on a US Army uniform. He never failed to help the AJA veterans groups in Hawai'i when he could because of those memories.

Not to say that Morita wasn't a hellraiser in his earlier days, hence his bawdy story telling. The stories one could tell...But he was a great guy in a very funny, weird business.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

He did more for MA than a lot of people give him credit. He may have actually been a martial arts but all it takes is one good movie to bolster the ranks of dojos across the country. There is a lot to be said about the movie industry and its affect on the MA..

R.I.P. you will be missed
    Bill Turner

Judo and Aikido

I think I am going to start my own style...everyone is invited to be under me of course. I will be called "Beat-the-dog-with-frying-pan-Ryu" I develop this from many years of studying "Nin-pot-smaK-a-ryu-justsu-kai-te-fu" which is a 50,000 year art from Japanimaca. The head of the Ryu is Sum Dum Guy. Everyone know him he a 50th degree.

Likes (received)

Default Domo Arigato, Miyagi-sama

Pat Morita probably put more people in karate dojos and other martial arts schools than any single person when the Karate Kid came out, including many members of E-Budo. Before that, he made a funny sitcom even funnier (Happy Days) and a few lessor tv shows a bit more watchable.

Many of us at E-Budo have become Japanophiles at a certain point, and I am no exception. The plethora of top notch Japanese-Americans in media have been a blessing to our world, and I hope people of occidental descent realize how special people like Pat and others of his ilk are.

Ironically, I happened to be watching my new Karate Kid DVD set (actually, the one w/ Hillary Swank) when the radio in the other room said Pat passed on. I think that though I am Christian, I may out of respect take a trip to Little Tokyo this weekend and light some incense out of respect and admiration.

Carlos
    E. Carlos Estrella, Jr.

The strength of a man is not measured in how much he can lift, how many he can fight or how much he can endure, but in his capacity to admit his limitations and learn to successfully circumvent them.