Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Legitimate Karate Systems

Likes (received)

Having said the above, I think that one things that needs to be looked at is the fact that tournements are inconsistant. How can you tell what level a Sandan is that you are fighting? Beating a crappy Sandan, might just mean that you're a decent 3rd kyu.
    Dan Weston

"It is not the art that makes the man, but the man the art."---Funakoshi Gichin

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cook
    I can see what you are getting at, but isn't this what a lot of the founders of now highly respected Japanese styles did. Why didn't they continue to do Shorin Ryu instead of creating new styles and associations? And why did Okinawans create new systems, why didn't they simply continue to promote the Chinese systems they originally learned.
    For example it is widely known that Kanbun Uechi trained primarily in Tiger Boxing in Fujian, and yet when he left China he restructured everything he did and called it Uechi Ryu. I am not having a go at Uechi Ryu, it is simply an example (in fact I have a high regard for Uechi Ryu). The same thing can be said about Goju...why didn't Kanryo Higaonna and later Chojun Miyagi simply pass on the White Crane boxing they had learned?
    Actually this watering down of systems (if that is what it is) is not new. Miyazato sensei in his book on Goju Ryu talks about fraud 'experts' who after the Meiji Restoration claimed to teach Chinese systems on Okinawa - he calls them 'han chin te' ie teachers of low value. Now it is interesting to speculate how many of those people are now regarded as great masters.
    Of course we all are interested in maintaining and improving standards, but juts because an American (or British or whatever) 4th or 5th dan starts his own style does not automatically mean that what he is teaching is any less useful than the most time honoured tradition.
    Harry Cook
    Hello, first post here, just wanted to clear something up. Uechi Kanbun called the style of MA he taught Pang-gai-noon. After his death it was re-named Uechi-Ryu in his honor.

Andrew Filenko

Likes (received)

That is quite correct. Pangainoon is a term essentially meaning half hard half soft, and describes the nature of the techniques. However he didn't call his art Tiger Boxing, which seems to have the core system he studied in China.
    Harry Cook

After reading all of the recent posts, I have a higher understanding of the level of expertise and depth of knowledge that all of you here at e-budo have in the art of Todi. You are all right, a 4th or 5th dan (or anyone for that matter) can create his/ her own martial arts style. Good luck in your training!

Regards

Rob Rivers
    Rob Rivers

Likes (received)

Default legitimate Karate Systems

One of the most devistating things to the arts has been the "closed" mind. This particular discussion has been great so far. There have been very few closed minded people, in fact most of the posts have been to raise more questions about the roots of this subject and to generate more conversation.
    There is alot of experience in this small thread. I beleive that many are not aware of the experience and expertice that have posted here. We have people on board who are published, recognized as well read and well researched in their areas of expertice.
    Up to this point, it has been a breeding ground for questions and thought provoking statements that only have opened the door to understanding where we all came from.

Thanks folks... really appreciated this one.

Mike O'Leary
    Old Dragon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4