Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Chinese sword arts

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyro Lantsberge
    Many Aikido/Aikijujitsu styles include swordwork, but it is my understanding that some take the swordwork to different levels than others, is their technique comparable to the kenjitsu ryuha?
    This can be a contentious issue, but the experts in koryu swordwork generally seem to agree that the swordwork of Aikido (Aikiken) is designed to teach students principles of empty-hand combat rather than actually develop kenjutsu technique. If you do a google search you can pull up an old Iaido Listserve message written by Meik Skoss on the subject of Aikiken. He's about as qualified an expert as you'll find on the subject. Ellis Amdur has recently made some interesting posts over on the Aikido Journal blog, discussing some of the different sword forms in various branches of Aikido.

As far as Aikijujutsu goes, according to Pranin's books some branches of Daito Ryu practice Ono-ha Itto Ryu, a koryu kenjutsu style. I don't know anything more than that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyro Lantsberge
    Also, I think it is pretty well established that Chinese and Japanese bladework is performed differently, and the weapons are crafted in differing manner. But do we have much in the historical record about weapons used in combat? I dont want to get into a Samurai vs. X issue, but I believe that there are in existance accounts of Portugese swordsman fighting off pirates in Asia and commenting on their bladework, is anyone aware of any situations where such skirmishes may have taken place?
    On the International Hoplology Society's website, there is mention of an old Chinese work that compiled data on sword styles extant at that time. The book discusses some Japanese sword schools, including Kage Ryu. This might be a good resource for you to look into if you want to find out about historical records of Chinese/Japanese styles in combat.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Default Finally able to move my fingers again...

Back from the seminar on Chinese Swordsmanship in Hadley, Mass, and finally able to move my fingers again. This, of course, makes it difficult to type-out a message on the internet. After an inspiring 3-day event on the practical aplications of jian and dao sword, I felt compelled to add one more comment...
    Swordsmen of several traditions showed up to cross wooden blades. There were Japanese-trained kendo practitioners, European 2-handed broadsword students, Olympic-sport fencers, Kumdo students, and many traditional Yang-style Taiji Quan teachers and students. Regardless of linerage, there was a spirit of co-operation and an open-minded learning enviornment. The swordsmanship of Yang-style Michuan Taiji Quan, from my vantage-point, seemed to have just about everything you could need to defend and subjugate anything thrown-up against it. Please, understand, there was quite a bit of respect given the explossive attack of the katana. Which, in-and-of-itself, generated many unique exchanges. After a number of challenging bouts, it occured to me that the sole function of any swordsman/woman is to improvement, improvement, and improvement, ( just a little bit more). In the moment of engagement, combat-effective sword techniques flow through the movement of the cut and thrust, slice and deflection. Learning something from each fencer I bouted with, I am inspired to pursue this practice with renewed dedication. By the way, I learned a few 2 person kendo drills that made me think of you guys. There is just so much to understand about the use of the sword. Practicing kata, cutting targets, engaging in fencing bouts.
    Initially, this was a responce to an old post. There were many erroneous statements. Granted, much of the Chinese tradition of genuine swordsmanship and technical-applications, are somehow absent. However, there are many secret schools and some offered to the public, that educate the student in the battle-proven techniques. After stating my opinion, I was drawn into the discussion, for which I can only say, " Gone are the days when the narrow path is the highest road. Today, and for tomarrow, we must learn from the reflectiion we see when observe ourselves in the other."

Yours in Sword Spirit, jon Plaombi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4