Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Arm Pain...

Likes (received)

Default Arm Pain...

For about the last six or seven months, I have been having a persistent aching in the ulnar nerve in both of my arms. The pain radiates from my elbow down into my ring and little fingers. Those two fingers often go numb as well, for no apparent reason.

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow about a few things and will mention it. I just wanted to know if any of you may have had similar troubles.

Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

I have exactly the same thing.

It's really annoying. And if i'm not wrong, there's not much we can do about it. I think it mainly comes (for me at least) from the fact that i sit all day long at University writting, or being in a certain position in front of a computer.

I have been experiencing more pain if i worked for long period of time without rest on my computer.

And doing a lot of pushups on top of that is probably a killing factor!

I would realy appreciate to hear what your doctor said!

Thanks a lot!

Tristan
    Genbukan, KJJR
    Akakage Dojo, Montreal

Likes (received)

I will certainly keep you in the loop...
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chambers
    For about the last six or seven months, I have been having a persistent aching in the ulnar nerve in both of my arms. The pain radiates from my elbow down into my ring and little fingers. Those two fingers often go numb as well, for no apparent reason.

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow about a few things and will mention it. I just wanted to know if any of you may have had similar troubles.
    Quote Originally Posted by cash3000
    I have exactly the same thing.

It's really annoying. And if i'm not wrong, there's not much we can do about it.
    Seeing a doctor for a professional opinion is, of course, the prudent thing to do.

But it's very possible that there is something you can do about it.

First, remember that although it may feel like the problem is in one area, it may actually be in another. A pinched nerve in the neck, for example, may cause numbness in the hand, because the nerve for the hand runs through the neck.

A common problem for those who spend a lot of time working on a computer, writing, drawing, etc. is carpal tunnel syndrome, a swelling of the tissue that wraps around the wrist. Surgeons often recommend a carpal tunnel release, a cutting of the carpal tunnel, but in most cases less drastic measures such as stretching exercises, physiotherapy, anti-inflammatory drugs, massage therapy, etc. can help.

Another possiblity -- two, actually -- is at the other end of the arm, where the main nerve branches of the arms exit the torso: thoracic outlet syndrome and brachial plexus syndrome. In many ways they are similar to carpal tunnel syndrome, and the same types of treatment may be effective.

Some searches on the above terms may be helpful to you both.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

You guys may be right. This only recently started since I am on a desk more. I have a tendency to lean on my elbows when I am typing. The work station is not very ergonomic.

Maybe cushions would help.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,

Likes (received)

Hi Jason,

I had a similar situation: pain and numbness in both hands after starting a desk job full time. In my case, it was resolved by physical therapy and making my workstation ergonomic. I also leaned on my elbows while working and I think that was a major contributor to the pain.

Some things to consider:

A keyboard and mouse platform that is mounted on an arm and allows for a wide range of positions (incline as well as height). Something like this.

a better chair (some offices will order a more ergo chair if you have a doctor's note)

If your monitor is on the desk, you may need to put something underneath it to raise it up a little bit

I also switched to a trackball instead of a mouse, I found the thumb trackball to be very comfortable alternative (logitech makes one).

You may get an information sheet from your Doctor about ergonomis as well as some deceptively simple stretches and exercises you can do that can help alot.

I hope this resolves for you, take care.
    Ed Hurley

Likes (received)

I have had very similar symptoms. Google "cubital tunnel syndrome". Basically irritation to the ulnar nerve just below the elbow/funnybone. Is the second most common form of RSI. Inflamation leads to nerve irritation leads to nerve irritation.

ibuprofen, (oral, and topical when I can get it) ice packs to the cubital tunnel area, and working to keep my elbows straight as much as possible all help me. Stretching the muscles which actuate your fingers can also help, as ulnar nerve irritation can irritate them, which causes them to tighten and also apply pressure to the ulnar nerve. Yoga is good for this. I've also been through cortison injections to the cubital tunnel area. 3-4 totally pain free days, but they didn't do a lot in the long term.

Seeing a doctor is good, whether or not you think we might have trouble with the same problem. Time away from whatever you do that aggravates it may be necessary. Some computer desks (or writing desks used as computer desks) are particularly bad for this. Look at your ergonomics, especially w.r.t. how much you bend your elbows. You do not want to push real RSI problems. They only become more sensetive when you do that. My cubital tunnel areas tend now to be so tender that I cannot lean on my elbows anymore.

Also, I had several doctors, even junior orthopedists, write the diagnosis as carpal tunnel. This is patently absurd if the is the pinky that goes numb. Though as carpal tunnel is the most common form of RSI, this is sort of to be expected.
    Last edited by BGalehouse; 13th February 2006 at 20:27.