Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Silent Walking A Jumping

Likes (received)

There were two methods we were taught in the army but i'm really to bored to write all that down. Instead i'll give you a suggestion get a cat or two and try and sneak up on them when you can do that....
    Keep to the way of the warrior

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

Default shadow walking

Hello....I recently ran across a series of books by H. John Poole. One is called The Tiger's way, another is tatics of the cresent moon. The author makes reference to ninpo in a couple of places. Things like shadow walking and meditation are discused. Does anyone know more about these books? Thanks

J Flowers

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kussa

J Flowers
    Please read our new rules. http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33269
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Default Walking Silent

If you really want to practice quite stepping, either build a structure about
    8'long x 2'wide with a V= to about 3" deep, and fill it with the very small
    gravel (pebbels) and try a Kano walk, or the best one ive found, the halfmoon
    step, but try to crouch a little w/ arms streched out for balence, and walk
    as natrual as possible landing your steps w/ the ball of your foot. If you
    don't won't to build somthing, go to a local park or play ground; they almost
    always have these gravel pits, but go to the play ground around dusk, that
    way you don't make the kids & parents freak-out or think your some
    weirdo. Good Luck!

-Arik Hartsaugh
    Arik Hartsaugh

You can't shake hands with a clenched fist.
    -Indira Gandhi

Likes (received)

Please take the Ashida Kim / Haha Lung / Christopher Prowant garbage outta here.. Unlearn everything you think may be related to something they (He- they're all the same person) ever spoke. There's no Kano or Halfmoon Crescent step.

Doing any of this at dusk is especially stupid.

I recommend doing silent drills in your own home or dojo, or with a training group. Doing it on hunting excursions in the woods is also acceptable.

Anywhere else and you're just asking to get the police called in.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

Default walking quietly

Something a friend showed me, he used to be a cadet (army boy), his mum is a big scary cadet major! someone taught them this:

you bend knees a bit, as you take a step forward you turn your foot out about 45deg and make contact with the ground using the outer edge of your foot (little toe end) then roll your weight forward until you rest on the ball of the foot. then repeat with the other foot.

i dont really know any otyher ways but this seems to work well with a bit of practise.
    karl Burton

Likes (received)

I recommend the mystic art of the ninja by Stephen K. hayes, the stealth section is a pretty good, it has basics. And also a section on camaflage(sp?) on what to wear, and etc. Though I've heard that some of the empty hand techinques are wrong. I would'nt know never train yet.
    Ahmad Halis

It is always wise to look ahead, but difficult to look farther than you can see.
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Likes (received)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShinobi
    Hey, I am trying to figure out the Stealth Jumping and Silent Walking Ninja tricks, i try and try but just cant tell if im doing it right. Anyone here knows how to do that? Please if so give me your instructions or the ways you do it in what to do since I'm positive i cant do it right. My sensei is giving up on me on these trick[s].
    ID APRICIATE IT!

Dave Jan
    Try the circus!!!!!
    Norman Smithers

Marche ou Creve

Bujinkan Kouryuu Dojo

www.bujinkan-kouryuu.com

Likes (received)

Default breathing

inhale win u land

john gautreaux
    Last edited by kj gotro; 25th April 2006 at 03:48. Reason: n/a

Likes (received)

Another thing you may try, try to watch how other people walk, and anything you hear, find out how they make and how to not make it yourself.

Sometimes just messing around, I try to imitate animals, not just their sounds but also how they move. Watching cats, they seem to hold their weight on one lead leg and one rear leg and they softly set the others into place and rock onto them. Just something to think about.
    Christian Newland

Likes (received)

Default free running - in silence

on another thread i came across a website mentioned for an article on stealth.

The site is dedicated to parkour, u know that street running thing.

the article is really interesting, along with several others including one on proprioception. In their veiw stealth is a sign of the highest level of balance and control over the body.
    Although not viewed as a technique in itself, it shows how well a person can control their movement. A heavy or clumsy landing is a loud landing, loud movement or running is an inefficiency in movement.
    so based on this i would say stealth isnt something that can automatically do as soon as someone tells you how, its a sign of your control and balance - so practise!

imagine if these guys, or even ballet dancers could fight!
    karl Burton

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by knarly b
    ...In their veiw stealth is a sign of the highest level of balance and control over the body.
    Although not viewed as a technique in itself, it shows how well a person can control their movement. A heavy or clumsy landing is a loud landing, loud movement or running is an inefficiency in movement.
    so based on this i would say stealth isnt something that can automatically do as soon as someone tells you how, its a sign of your control and balance - so practise!

imagine if these guys, or even ballet dancers could fight!
    I couldn't agree with Mr Burton more. I'm sure we've all snickered at the little joke about the "Hatsumi-step"; that funny way of walking that only soke seems to be able to repeatedly produce. I'm sure he walks that way, and moves in all the ways that he moves, because of a lifetime of practice and training in an art that relies on fluidity and balance of motion. Thats probably also why he's a very sneaky fella.

and just for trivia value... I know he's just a movie guy, but Vin Diesel started out as a ballet dancer.

John Frakes

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Frakes
    and just for trivia value... I know he's just a movie guy, but Vin Diesel started out as a ballet dancer.

John Frakes
    You can say a lot of things about Vin Diesel, but he does have body control.
    Just mho

Cheers, Christophe.

Regards,
    Christophe van Eysendyck.

Likes (received)

After making previous posts ive kind of learnt a bit, in fact last night i was moving around my room trying not to wake the girlfriend up cos it was late and i realised there probably is no specified way of moving to achieve stealth, its whatever works for you. i found that if i try to touch the ground with my foot as if i were feeling it with my hand, it contacts the surface really lightly then i could place my weight down soundlessly. only problem is it took about 20 seconds for me to take a step! my ukemi is bloody loud at the moment, i used to do judo and ive only recently started Taijutsu so im still slapping a bit and rolling too fast.

about vin... i find it hard to imagine him in a ballet, hes just so bulky and hench! i wouldnt call him a big softy though.

a bit off topic but has anyone seen the transporter two film? that guy really impressed me with his jujutsu of whatever it was. i dont know u might all think it was crap but im a noober and it looked good to me.
    karl Burton

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2