No, cutting off my head is not an option

Eat fruits and veggies? No bananas?

HELP!
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

Eat only lean meats (egg whites for bfast) and non starchy wegtables 5 times a day space the meals out like 2-3 hours and don't eat at least three hours before bed. Get in cardio and some sort of resistance training and 10 pounds will come off in a month.
    Tom Thornton

Likes (received)

If you're of an average-ish size, 10 pounds in a month is easy. Not pleasant, granted, but still easy. I usually have to do that amount for tournaments, and I generally start a month out.

Sensible amounts of cardio (over-training is counter productive), plus a good diet (IronFan is right on the money) will get you there. Don't dehydrate yourself! Drink plenty of water. Avoid milk and caffeine, and drink fruit juices only in moderation. Nothing wrong with bananas - lots of complex carbs and potassium.

If you do a search on the various MMA sites on weight-cutting, you'll find tons of advice.

Why are you doing it? It's much easier to drop the pounds than it is to keep it off - which is fine if you're just getting ready for one fight, but more of a problem if it's a long term goal.

EDIT to say: During this period, feeling hungry (all the time! ) is normal - but you should still have plenty of energy. If you start to feel fatigued, weak or light-headed you are over-doing something.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

If you want to actually lose 10 lbs in a month, you need to burn off roughly 35000 calories. Create an account on www.fitday.com and track exactly how much you eat and work out. Make sure your caloric deficit is at least 1200 calories/day. ie you are burning through the combination of base metabolic rate (fitday calculates it for you) and exercise 1200 more calories than you are eating.

If you're just trying to make weight for a competition - 3 days before, drink a lot of coffee. Run stairs in a garbage bag, take saunas, whatever. 10 lbs of water will come off no problem - but it won't stay off.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Lots of Cardio workout and good diet.

I suggest you pick up jogging/running. It is the most effective cardio workout.
    Richard Li

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Jody, I remember you as a pretty big, but fit guy. Eat less, cut out the sugar and refined carbs (bread, potatoes, rice).

More cardio. ANY cardio, find out your peak training heart rate and push it for min. 45-60 minutes every other day. Do a thorough free-weight workout on the off days.

No beer. No Coke. No soft drinks. No SUGAR. Really. Read labels. You'd be surprised at how much of what we eat everyday contains sugar.

No chips, lots of fresh, not over-cooked veg, good lean meat, seafood.

Cut your calories in half.

Now, why 10 lbs in one month? Tell me you haven't joined the Army ....
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

The problem with generic recommendations like "eat less" and "exercise more" is that most people haven't a clue what they are eating. That's why I strongly recommend fitday (or any other tracking device) - it will let you know exactly what your intakes and outputs are, and you can plan accordingly.

BTW most people can more easily tip the balance in their favour by eating less - for me, a 4 km run is the equivalent of one doughnut.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

I just tried fitday and I wasn't impressed. It was difficult and sometimes impossable to add the foods I ate today because most of the brands were not in there data base. I got frustrated really fast. The easiest thing to do is eat a 3-4 oz serving of lean protein and a large portion of non starchy vegtables 5 times a day. Eat only fresh or frozen vegtables stay away from caned. Spacing meals out 2-3 hours will make you feel satisfied all day. Do this for a month with cardio and light weight training and the ten pounds will come off.
    Tom Thornton

Likes (received)

You can create your own entries for food that you eat. Alternately, you can find another brand in their lists that is equivalent to what you use. If you are serious about tracking, you will have to look up the relevant data for food you eat anyways. Once you've entered the data once, it appears as a selection for you when you go to log food.

Another alternative is to use a simplified tracking system, such as the Weight Watchers point system. But again it requires a little research if the food you eat isn't on their lists. They provide a table to calculate points based on calories, fat content and whatever else they consider.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

Weight-Watchers works very well, you just have to have discipline. This should be easy for us MA practitioners!

I did it for 9 months with my girlfriend. She wouldn't have stuck to it if I hadn't done it with her. This was back in before they brought out the "For Men" section.

With normal exercise and enough points left over for 2 beers a night, I still lost 35.2lb.
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Dear all,

Thanks for the input. I talked to my 1st Aid prof today and he told me pretty much the same thing: eat 5-6 times a day, workout 6 days a week, read "Body for Life" and drink water (no BEER, no soft drinks).

Dear Chuck,

I'm 6'2", 220 pounds and I scored a 94 on the ASVAB. If I can get down to 205-210 in a month, I will have some cool options.

I just ran 6 miles Chuck, it's been 3 years. Time for me to get my act together and if I get assigned to Germany...
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

I agree with most of what's been said.

On the what-to-drink front I agree: drink only water. Anything else is food, medicine, or poison.

There is some current research looking at the effects of diet drinks. One theory being looked at is that some artificial sweetners may trick your muscles into thinking they're sugar, thus blocking real sugar from getting to the muscles when needed. The sugar then gets stored as fat even as your energy levels and lean muscle mass go down.

The jury is still out, but it's an interesting concept.

Another problem with drink -- including fruit juices that we think of as healthy -- is that they are very calorie dense and fiber poor. Not what you want when trying to loose wieght.

I disagree about cutting bread and rice from your diet. I say eat them, but in limited quantities and use the whole grain kind.

Be careful with salads. Most people and virtually all restaurants use too much dressing. Most dressings are way too high in calories, fat, and sodium. Dressing should be used in a salad like salt and pepper are, not like tomatoes and carrots.

Good luck, and as others have said 10 pounds in a month for someone of your size shouldn't be too hard if you put your mind to it.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Holeton
    I'm 6'2", 220 pounds and I scored a 94 on the ASVAB. If I can get down to 205-210 in a month, I will have some cool options.

I just ran 6 miles Chuck, it's been 3 years. Time for me to get my act together and if I get assigned to Germany...
    Heya Jody ...

How old are you right now? We just got a PFC on board who's 37 (prior service, true, but still, kind of old for a junior soldier).

The Army standards are really strict (ht/wt proportionality), and aren't really reflective of fitness, only how good you'll look in class A uniform. IMNSHO.

However, that said, if you can do 6 miles easily, you're doing pretty good already.

Get info from you recruiter about what the PT standards are for your age (pushups, situps and 2-mile run). Get them to show you the 'right' way to do 'em, too (that is, the Army way).

What's your GT score? That's probably more important than the overal ASVAB score.

What MOS are you looking at? What kind of deals are they offering you? Approach the recruitment process like buying a new car. Shop around, bargain, dicker.

10 lbs oughta be pretty easy for you. Most of the advice here is good.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

Top 10 diet myths
    Written by Elizabeth Openshaw, medical journalist

Myth 1

People tend to think they need a low fat diet to lose weight, but you should still have a third of your calories coming from fat.
    Cholesterol is bad for you, low or zero-fat diets are good for you.

Fact

Cholesterol is a fatty substance that is made mostly by the liver. We all need some blood cholesterol as it's used to build cells and make vital hormones - and there's good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. Leading dietician Lyndel Costain explains, 'Saturated fats found in food like meat, cheese, cream, butter and processed pastries tend to raise LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol - known as 'bad' cholesterol - and this delivers cholesterol to the arteries. HDL (high density lipoprotein) - or 'good' cholesterol - transports cholesterol away from the arteries, back to the liver.

People tend to think they need a low fat diet to lose weight, but you should still have a third of your calories coming from fat. As a guideline, women need 70g (95g for men) of fat a day with 30g (40g for men) as the minimum. There's no need to follow a fat free diet, just cutting down on saturated fats and having unsaturated fats, found in things like olive oil and avocados, will help.

Myth 2

Crash dieting or fasting makes you lose weight.

Fact

This can be true in the short term but as Claire MacEvilly, nutrition scientist from the British Nutrition Foundation, explains it can have negative side effects on cholesterol levels. 'Losing weight over the long term burns off fat, and crash dieting or fasting not only removes fat but also lean muscle and tissue. It can also make you feel dizzy or weak so it's much better to try long term weight loss.'

Myth 3

Food eaten late at night is more fattening.

Fact

Many diets tell you not to eat after a certain time in the evening in the belief that the body will store more fat because it is not burned off with any activity. However, a study at the Dunn Nutrition Centre in Cambridge suggests otherwise. Volunteers were placed in a whole body calorimeter (which measures calories burned and stored) and were fed with a large lunch and small evening meal for one test period, then a small lunch and large evening meal during a second test period. The results revealed the large meal eaten late at night did not make the body store more fat it's the total amount eaten in a 24-hour period that's important. Lyndel Costain says, 'It is true that people who skip meals during the day, then eat loads in the evening are more likely to be overweight than those who eat regularly throughout the day. This may be because eating regular meals helps people regulate their appetite and overall food intake.'

Myth 4

Vegetarians can't build muscle.

Fact

Vegetarians can be equally as muscular as meat eaters by getting their protein from vegetable products like nuts, pulses and grains. Claire MacEvilly says, 'You need protein to build muscle but too much can lead to long-term side effects, like putting the kidney under too much pressure. The body can only store a certain amount of protein, too much can damage the kidney. The Department of Health recommends that 50 per cent of energy should come from carbohydrates, 35 per cent from fat and the remaining 15 per cent from protein.'

Myth 5

A slow metabolism prevents weight loss.

Fact

This is a common myth among overweight people trying to manage their weight. Studies have shown that resting metabolism, which is the number of calories used by the body at rest, increases rather than decreases as people become fatter. In other words, the larger you are, the more calories that are required to keep your body going. Clare Grace, obesity research dietitian at the Royal London Hospital, says, 'Weight gain occurs when the number of calories eaten is greater than the number used up by the body. Unfortunately, people are becoming increasingly sedentary, burning off less and less calories, and it seems likely this is a crucial factor in the increasing numbers struggling to control their weight.'

Myth 6

Fattening foods make for rapid weight gain.

Fact

Believe it or not, true weight gain is a slow process. You need to eat an extra 3500 calories to gain one pound of body fat (and vice versa for losing it). Lyndel Costain explains, 'If the scales say you've gained a few pounds after a meal out, it's largely due to fluid, which will resolve itself - as long as you don't get fed up, and keep overeating! A lot of people feel guilty and think they've blown their diet if they eat rich foods. But, how can a 2oz chocolate bar make you instantly put on pounds? Balance high fat foods with healthy food and activity for long term weight control.'

Myth 7

Low-fat milk has less calcium than full-fat milk.

Fact

Skimmed and semi-skimmed milk actually have more calcium, says Harley Street nutritionist Alison Sullivan, because the calcium is in the watery part, not the creamy part. 'If you're trying to lose weight and cut fat from your diet, skimmed milk is your best bet because not only is it lower in fat but it also has 10mg more calcium in 200ml of milk than full fat. Semi-skimmed is best for maintaining a healthy lifestyle if you're not dieting. Full fat milk is best for children, and adults who are underweight.'

Myth 8

Low-fat foods help you lose weight.

Fact

'Low-fat' or 'fat-free' doesn't necessarily mean low calorie or calorie-free, warns Lyndel Costain. Check the calorie content of foods, especially cakes, biscuits, crisps, ice creams and ready meals. Extra sugars and thickeners are often added to boost flavour and texture, so calorie content may be only a bit less, or similar to standard products. New Government guidelines now discourage the use of '% fat free' claims. A low-fat food should contain no more than 3g fat per 100g. 'And watching the quantity is important,' adds nutritionist Alison Sullivan. 'People tend to have half-fat spread but then use twice as much. And things like fruit pastilles may be low in fat but are high in sugar which turns to fat. So in low fat foods, look to see where else the calories might come from.'

Myth 9

You always gain weight when you stop smoking.

Fact

When people stop smoking, some gain weight, some lose and some stay the same. It's far healthier to be an overweight non-smoker than not to bother giving up because you think you'll put on weight. Alison Sullivan says: 'Where people tend to fall down is when they replace a cigarette with comfort food. Chewing sugar-free gum or snacking on vegetable strips kept in the fridge is a good idea as you can have these instead of reaching for the biscuit tin. And something like a satsuma keeps your hands occupied until the craving goes away.'

Myth 10

Bananas are fattening.

Fact

They are actually low in fat. There is only half a gram of fat and 95 calories in a banana. Not only that but they are packed with potassium, come in their own packaging, are clean and very handy as a snack!
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Dear Chuck,

My GT score is 128. The recruiter says I can go after ANY job. I go enlisted I can get $$$ bonuses, ALL my loans paid off and assignement to Germany.

Can I get assigned to the Netherlands or Belgium?
    I am thinking either taking a high $$$ bonus at a desk job, going after a satellite communication job or going after Air Force OCS (thats what the 10 pounds is for).

Any advice?
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast