Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need to lose 10 pounds in a month

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Holeton
    ...I am thinking either taking a high $$$ bonus at a desk job, going after a satellite communication job or going after Air Force OCS (thats what the 10 pounds is for).
    I'm biased, of course, but as a USAF veteran I say go for the OCS.

(Doesn't "Lt. Holton" sound better than "Pvt. Holton"?)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

My GT score is 128. The recruiter says I can go after ANY job. I go enlisted I can get $$$ bonuses, ALL my loans paid off and assignement to Germany.
    Pretty much. Anything over 110 is gravy.

Can I get assigned to the Netherlands or Belgium?
    We've got some US slots there (w/NATO and SHAPE). They'll likely remain, but most of the US Army in Europe will be gone soon (3-5 years), with three or four major concentrations, in Germany, Wiesbaden, Kaiserslautern and Grafenwoehr; in Italy, Vicenza.

Here at Graf, we stand to bring in several thousand troops (with families, civilian support, etc) over the next couple of years.

I am thinking either taking a high $$$ bonus at a desk job, going after a satellite communication job or going after Air Force OCS (thats what the 10 pounds is for).
    Are you talking to Army and AF then? Good idea. Is your heart set on active duty? The Nat'l Guard (Army and AF, IIRC) offers a fairly fast-tracked 'green-to-gold' program that lets you enlist, do your basic and AIT, then pretty much directly to OCS. You already have a degree, yes?

Then you start applying for AGR (Active Guard and Reserve) slots, which have all the bennies of active duty, but are somewhat more flexible.

One of the guys teaching Army combatives in the 1/4 Infantry is an AGR officer. I can put you in touch if you'd be interested.

Also consider this: The Army (probably all services) are desperate for more linguists right now. You might have a leg up if you go that direction.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    (Doesn't "Lt. Holton" sound better than "Pvt. Holton"?)
    And put more $$ in the pocket, less hassle (in some ways) on the back, and more options for a larger measure of control over your career.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

Default scientific

Jody,
    everybody is giving excellent advice.
    It's up to you!!
    complex-carbs / potassium, all good
    metabolic rate,too.

your 1st aid prof. Does that mean professor?
    students of nutrition or H&PE can help you at your university.
    The PE instructors are excellent sources.

1st :change your lifestyle:
    steps vs. elevators , when gone shopping, leave your wallet in your vehicle, take just enuff money to buy necessaties.
    the list is long - these are only examples.

2nd : Most know you have to burn more than you consume!
    3rd : Metabolism must be increased to lose weight
    4th : there is a formula called Kaveron which is 220(-)your age (-)resting heart rate [RHR] (x) % of intensity (-) RHR = Working H.R. Use that formula doing your workouts to monitor your fitness level
    BUT if your at college; all the info & resources is available.
    {2 lbs per week is healthy}
    Most important is consistency

Note: the night before weigh in
    skip supper & SKIP breakfast ; instead
    Go sweat for 1 hour before!!
    it has been mentioned, that water weight comes off fast;
    GOOD LUCK
    Fitness is not a FAD; it is a part of LIFE

Start TODAY!!
    Last edited by kj gotro; 24th April 2006 at 21:29. Reason: forgot one statement

Likes (received)

. The recruiter says I can go after ANY job. I go enlisted I can get $$$ bonuses, ALL my loans paid off and assignement to Germany.
    Talk is cheap, first lesson of military, dont trust any recruiters word. Second lesson everything must be in writing or it is subject to change. Also the last time I checked bonus was only for Pjs,SERE, and EOD, mabye some other combat jobs and of course you have to make it all the way through the training or they make you pay the bonus back(I feel sorry for the people who spent their bonus money early after the whole PJ dream failed). Oh and soon they are upping the basic training from 6 and 1/2 to 8 and 1/2 weeks so I would get in before that if possible. Personally Id recommend the reserves, thats what im doing but if you want to be owned in full for the next 4 years at the bottom of the enlisted totem poll have fun. With the reserves you get the 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year, your deployments usually 90 days vs active 180 days, plus you can choose deployment assignments all the time so you can put in as much work as you can volunteer for. Of course the reserves might not have the jobs you want, Id check it out though because 4 years can be a long time.
    Don Moore

Likes (received)

Dear all,

5-6 meals a day. I run every other day (5 miles around the 8 Mile and Woodward area) and my own pushup, situp, chin-up, bike tire resistor workout.

214#

I am pushing for 20 more pounds in the next 3 months.

Let us see.

Iadoka is right, all the high bonus Army jobs go for the hard to fill positons.
    I go for the boards this Wednesday, let's see what they offer me.
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    OPEN 24 hours, 7 days a week,
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

[April 20th]...I'm 6'2", 220 pounds...
    [May 8th]...5-6 meals a day. I run every other day (5 miles around the 8 Mile and Woodward area) and my own pushup, situp, chin-up, bike tire resistor workout.

214#

I am pushing for 20 more pounds in the next 3 months....
    Congrats! 6 pounds in 19 days. That's almost exactly 1/3 pound per day; right on track for 10 pounds in 30 days.

(If you keep at your routine today, and fast tomorrow & Wednesday morning, you might even make that 205 - 210 weight you wanted by Wednesday's meeting.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Dear Chuck,

My GT score is 128. The recruiter says I can go after ANY job. I go enlisted I can get $$$ bonuses, ALL my loans paid off and assignement to Germany.

Can I get assigned to the Netherlands or Belgium?
    I am thinking either taking a high $$$ bonus at a desk job, going after a satellite communication job or going after Air Force OCS (thats what the 10 pounds is for).

Any advice?
    Have they done a body fat content test on you? Are you acutally over weight? I think you can ask for the old dunk test, or at least a pinch test. I know there were body builders in my squadron who would get called into the first sgt's office with about 5% body fat because they were this height and this weight. They would take one look at them and then say... "Never mind"

Bottom line is if you put in x amount of fuel and then do y amount of exercise the resulting z is either gained fat or burned fat. Take in less then you burn. Over do it for a month, just so you don't make yourself sick. 10lbs in a month is easy. You will be hungry, but you have a time line.

Long term weight lose is what is hard.
    Michael Philippus

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Likes (received)

Dear Texasmic,

I went to MEPS and had my physical. My MAX weight was 218 and there were a couple of guys who got their arms pinched for muscle density.

The physical was a HOOT! One guy failed the BREATHALYZER right there!
    The knee walking in my skivvies SUCKED though...

I'm off to hit 6 miles today. Wish me luck!
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

...The knee walking in my skivvies SUCKED though...
    Shhh!

Don't ask. Don't tell.

Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Hei dude for me this is pritty easy (im so thin of nature i hate it! everyine is telling me to eat more hmf!..)

so things that help

Eat natural things like entreqote ( the meat whith almoust no fat) (meat)
    salad is not that ba if you spice it up whith lots of stuff like parsley, lemon, peper and so on (onion) .

then things to to all the time :

if you have to walk some were or drive somewhere near by...WALK!
    I do this if you have an mp3 whit a song that just fills you whit POWER!
    (for me Coldplay and muse -.-') walk to the rhythm.

you chould also jog like maybe 1 mile no hurry just ceep the same tempo the whole time.

and just try to stay on your feet or in action
    Jose Cornejo MY NAME!

Silver Striped Hat

Likes (received)

210 now

6 miles, every other day

Hoooooaahhh!
    Jody Holeton
    --------------
    ALL JODY, ALL the TIME

Likes (received)

210 now

6 miles, every other day

Hoooooaahhh!
    I started going 5 mile a day in the hotest part of the day 95-105F (35-40.5C) about a month ago. Not so much to lose wieght at first, as to start getting ready for the heat, and get my legs ready for football season in August.

I gained 5 pounds

I am going to have to cut WAY back on eating if I am going to lose weight.

I would like to lose 27 pounds in the next 3 months. Mainly so I don't have to haul so much lard up an down the football field in 100 heat! I generally lose it (20-25 pounds) during the season, I would just like to have it already gone before the season. I don't think it is just the exercise. I think it is not being home for supper.

I don't need suggestions, I know how to do it, I have just gotten in the habbit of eatting too much. My wife is no help, believe it or not she LIKES me fat. When we met I was heavier than I am now.

I can actually move pretty fast, and I'm too old to be running around with my shirt off, so it is not vanity. I'm just am tired of carrying extra weight.
    Michael Philippus

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2