Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Why not more ground work in Judo?

Likes (received)

Default Why not more ground work in Judo?

Seems weird to me.

I mean, if you throw a BJJ guy and land on the ground, isn't that just playing into his game?

In a real fight, you can't just tuck tail and stand back up like a coward, imo.
    Walt Janeski

Likes (received)

It wasn't that long ago that a lot more ground time was offered in judo matches, but once it became an olympic mainstay, something had to be done to ensure that it was more palatable to an audience--pushing towards more stand-up judo with big dynamic ippon throws. Still, occaisionally you might find a referee that allows ample time on the ground--personally, i think the only time referees should stand judoka up is when they are both in a neutral position and not fighting for advantage. But there are some referees who are not at all fans of newaza and stand up contestants much too fast--for my taste. I also think something should be done about turtling--this would never be an advantageous position in a real fight--which a combat sport should emulate (albeit with much precaution).
    J Pettit

Likes (received)

if i was you i would find some judo dojo, ask them to roll with you.
    Larry Hairgrove

MarkF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WaltJ
    Seems weird to me.

I mean, if you throw a BJJ guy and land on the ground, isn't that just playing into his game?

This is interesting, actually. This would explain the "coward" Carlos Gracie who wrote two books on BJJ in the 1940s and they were almost entirely on tachiwaza (standing technique).

You need to do some reading.

Mark

Likes (received)

Just when do Judoka ever have to fight BJJers? Other than when competing in each other's tournies (and the odd Royce/yoshida MMA bout), I suspect the answer is "never".

Yet, judging purely on the stuff that gets posted on internet fora, you'd think we were constantly at each other's throats (literally!).

So train Judo to develop your tachiwaza, and BJJ to develop your newaza. Preferably, train both - nobody will mind, and I think you'll find that's what most competitive BJJers (and an increasing number of Judoka) do anyway.

In fact, given the ready access to quality BJJ these days, there is even less reason for Judo to focus on newaza than there used to be.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by WaltJ
    Why is that tucking tail or cowardly?
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/