Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Helio Gracie on Helio..and M. Kimura

MarkF Guest

Default Helio Gracie on Helio..and M. Kimura

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...t=33909&page=4

Actually, I know at least some of you guys have followed the thread on BJJ on the Gendai Budo General forum, but I thought I'd remind you to read the last post, or close to last on the page.

There are at least two interviews with Helio Gracie, the one for Playboy in 2001, and and earlier one (1996, or a little earlier) linked to it. They are interesting as he comments on the Kimura match. Many have claimed he broke his arm or dislocated his elbow, or something of the kind. He claims Carlos threw in the towel on a well-set choke, and in the earlier version, he tells that interviewer his "secret" about the match...Anyway, the interview is fascinating. The other is from five or six years before the playboy interview. Anyway, he doesn't think Kimura really beat him. I'd read it in the original Portugues and there are some things that are not translated as accurately as they should have, but that's my opinion as a former translator.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkF; 22nd May 2006 at 16:47.

Likes (received)

Very interesting observations. I thought the article seemed to have some gaps in what I thought were common knowledge. I'm not a BJJ guy persay, but I do cross train in MMA.
    Kelley Carter
    Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu Renshinkan

Likes (received)

Yeah it is an interesting article...Helio is definitely very opinionated but so am I. I'd still like to know the whole story about him not wanting Vanderlei to get his black belt in BJJ.
    Brian Culpepper

MarkF Guest

I thought the article seemed to have some gaps in what I thought were common knowledge.
    I noted that, too. It isn't as bad as I may have let on. I was asked to translate it a few years ago and Portuguese is not a language I speak (I understand the written form, but not at the local level, by any means) so I should have made that clear

I hope it didn't detract from what is a really good interview.

Mark