Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Ryoen-ryu Naginatajutsu (Shimizu Nobuko)

Likes (received)

Default Ryoen-ryu Naginatajutsu (Shimizu Nobuko)

I ran across that school' name and a couple of forum/google search didn't raise many information.
    Exept that the founder/soke (?) is Shimizu Nobuko sensei...

Any of you as more (from first hand training for exemple )?
    Hughes JEANGERARD

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

I attended a seminar recently in which Komei juku MJER and rouen ryu naginata were taught. Shimizu sensei taught the naginata section. It was interesting and Shimizu sensei was a patient and keenly interested instructor. I don't think Shimizu sensei invented it- I got the impression that she had studied other extant naginata ryu and then been taught Ryoen ryu tech/kata . She urged the attendees to practice the kata of old schools so that they wouldn't be forgotten.
    I learned a good deal.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Shimizu Sensei was graded to 8th dan in Jikishinkage Ryu Naginata by the late soke Toya Akiko Sensei. Due to political differences, Shimizu Sensei broke from Jikishinkage Ryu and founded her own style. The main difference between Ryoen Ryu and Jikishinkage is that Shimizu Sensei's style uses the weapon more in a manner appropriate to a real naginata as opposed to the light practice weapon used in Jikishinkage Ryu. Because of her close relationship with Sekiguchi Komei Sensei the uchitachi parts have a chiburi and noto similar to Komei Jyuku MJER.

Shimizu Sensei is not only highly skilled and a gifted teacher, but she's also a very fine person.

Phil Davison
    Phil Davison

Likes (received)

I train in Ryouen Ryu Naginatajutsu as well as Yamauchi-Ha MJER Iaijutsu. I do not know much about Jikishinkage Ryu, but Ryouen Ryu is very combative and I enjoy it very much. Most of the bunkai and kumitachi I have done through Royouen Ryu usually has uchitachi using a sword. There is also quite a bit of tanto waza that she has shown us as well.

Hope it helps.
    Brandon Burkett
    Yamauchi-Ha Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu Iaijutsu
    austin.komeijyuku.com

Likes (received)

Thank you!
    Hughes JEANGERARD

Likes (received)

I forgot to ask: do you know what Ryoen means in that context? Why this name was chosen?
    Hughes JEANGERARD

Likes (received)

Well.. 10 years passed since the last post, so maybe this answer will be useless... but If anyone has questions about the Ryha, every question is welcome.
    A Little bit of story of Ryen ry naginatajutsu.

Shimizu Nobuko sensei is a health condition as far she's 74 years old.
    She born and raised in Kchi and learned jud from her father who was jud sensei.
    Arround 1965/67 she began to study Ogasawara ry reih, receiving the menky kaiden and shihan grade as well the name Genrysai Ryen (that's because the name of the school she created) in 1984.
    Arround 1978-1980 she began Jikishinkage ry naginata till 8dan hanshi tora no maki.
    Arround 1998 she started Mus Jikiden Eishin ry iaijutsu (Yamauchi-ha Komei Jyku) under the guidance of 21st Sekiguchi Komei sensei, till kyshi grade today.
    At the beggining of XXI century, after the 17 ske of Jikishinkage ry Toya Akiko (Shimizu sensei's sensei) passed away, she was not confortable with the new direction of the ryha, so she decided left Jikishin. But Shimizu sensei wanted continue the teaching of naginata based in Toya Akiko sensei teachings. So she took her Ogasawara ry name and created a new ryha, based on 3 kory teachings:
    - Naginata/tant of Jikishinkage ry.
    - Reih of Ogasawara ry.
    - kenjutsu (uchitachi) from Mus Jikiden Eishin ry.
    About the Ryen ry waza, the school has 3 series. 1st: Shden kumitachi is 10 paired kata naginata vs tachi. 2nd: Ry no bu: 5 solo kata. 3rd: Tora no bu: 7 kata paired: naginata vs tachi and tant vs tachi. 1st and 3rd series are based in Jikishinkage ryu waza, based, but not equal. 2nd serie was created by Shimizu sensei based in Jikishinkage ryu. The meaning of solo waza in Ryen ry is to use a shinken naginata. Shimizu sensei told me that, except Toya sensei and few of the senior students, noone in Jikishinkage ry wanted to use never shinken naginata because "it's so heavy". Shimizu sensei always was suported by Toya sensei when she decided to use it, even when some of her sempai said no.
    the 32 ske of Ogsawara ry, Ogasawara Tadamune (Shimizu sensei's sensei) gave permisin to use the sangaibishi kamon to Shimizu sensei, so this was the Ryen ry kamon till last year, but in november 2015 she registered Ryen ry as a cultural property in her town Yoshikawa (Saitama), and as she don't wanna have troubles with the current 33 ske Ogasawara Keishsai who is her friend, so she changed a Little bit the kamon when she registered the school.
    Ryen ry is not a kory, but any people who want leran Shimizu sensei teachings is welcome. Outside Japan there is 4 countries with their shibuch with Ryen ry name (because Shimizu sensei has sons with surname Shimizu, that's way she gave surnema Ryen): Spain (Ryen Ryko), France (Ryen Rinka - Normandie / Ryen Shtaro - Paris), Czech Republic (Ryen Ienobu) and New Zeland (Auckland). In Japan Shimizu sensei teach in Saitam (Yoshikawa), Tky (Shinagawa) and Kanagawa.
    Sekiguchi Kenry - MJER iaijutsu (Komei Jyku) Spain hombu.
    Ryen Ryko - Ryen ry naginatajutsu Spain hombu.

8. Likes cxt, Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Interesting read.

Thanks for updating the thread.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.