Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I was interested in getting a good book on Karate and the different Katas

Likes (received)

Cool I was interested in getting a good book on Karate and the different Katas

I was looking for a good illustrated book showing the different Katas so that I can get a better feel for them. As I watch others sometimes there are discussions on whether something should be a punch or a block. I tend to do best if I both listen to my teachers and read up on each Kata as well. A book that can show each individual move with a written description along side would be perfect.

I ended up buying the Book

"Best Karate: Heian, Tekki (Best Karate, 5)"
    Masatoshi Nakayama; Paperback

It only cost me about $11 through Amazon

Do any of you have any thoughts on the best book or series of books that would be most helpful?

Thanks

K. Allen
    Kevin S. Allen
    Newport News, Va.
    www.shotokanvirginia.com

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.

Ulysses S. Grant

Likes (received)

If you're doing JKA Shotokan, it's a fairly decent book. If you're doing a different system, it's a rotten book.

Rob

Likes (received)

Cool I am in ISKF Shotokan

Thanks

It appears to have all of the Katas that are taught inmy DOJO.

K. Allen
    Kevin S. Allen
    Newport News, Va.
    www.shotokanvirginia.com

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.

Ulysses S. Grant

Likes (received)

A good book for Shotokan Kata is "27 Shotokan Katas" by Albrecht Pflüger. It is written in german and probably hard to find in America. The Kata are shown with little drawn figures and you should understand it without proficiency in the german language.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/380...960757?ie=UTF8

I just found a page you can see all the kata out of the book. Don´t know if it is legal:

http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-72482/page3.html

Here is a nice page you find all kata on video:

http://www.okinawa-te.net/karate/shotokata.htm

Greetings,

Florian Wiessmann

Likes (received)

Default Look for a DVD.

I would recommend finding a good DVD series for kata. I find this more helpful than books. The BK series is good. I bought #5 as a kid when I first started training. In this day and age, there a lot of good DVD series out there. I have one from the 80s with Kenneth Funakoshi in Hawaii. He performs all of the kata by the numbers, then at full speed, then with opponents to show the bunkai. Excellent. Some tend to be expensive, though.

Mark Stauffer
    Mark Stauffer