Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Wado Exponents

Likes (received)

Default Where are the Wado Exponents

Is it me, or are there very few Wado Ryu/Kai practitioners that use this excellent forum.

From the "Major" styles there seems to be few Wado people and I just wonder why that is.

Are we a poor relation? lol.

Gary Needham

Likes (received)

Same seems to go for Kyokushin.
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

Most of the posters on this board are from the USA, and Wado Ryu and Kyokushinkai are comparatively uncommon styles in the USA. At the same time, styles popular in the USA (Isshin Ryu, for example) are often comparatively uncommon elsewhere.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth
    Most of the posters on this board are from the USA, and Wado Ryu and Kyokushinkai are comparatively uncommon styles in the USA. At the same time, styles popular in the USA (Isshin Ryu, for example) are often comparatively uncommon elsewhere.
    I always wondered which side of the pond real karate was practised.
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

Talking

I think that Wado practitioners spend less time on the internet and more time in the dojo.

/Jens Elieson
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wado
    Is it me, or are there very few Wado Ryu/Kai practitioners that use this excellent forum.

From the "Major" styles there seems to be few Wado people and I just wonder why that is.

Are we a poor relation? lol.

Gary Needham
    Wado practitioner here, from the JKF-Wadokai camp. but my teacher was already learning Wado before the 3-way splits. Nice to meet you.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Nice to hear from you ben,

As with yours, my instructor was around before the three way split. In addition to Ohtsuka Sensei, he was taught (as most of the UK karateka in the Sixties and Seventies were) by Suzuki along with Kobayashi and Arakawa Senseis.

Today we are affiliated to the JKF Wado Kai.

Arakawa Sensei is due to visit us next month to conduct a course for senior grades. Should be good!

You can see more about our association at our web site

www.englandwadokai.org

Does your club / association have a web site I would love to have a look and compare the karate.

Regards

Gary Needham

Likes (received)

Sure, we have a site right here

http://www.geocities.com/wadokai_indonesia/album.html

but it haven't been updated for years

I am at your site right now. Very good looking, professional site, unlike ours, which are amateur-ish.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Ben,

Had a look at the site, Its got a lot of good history to it.

Your instructor obviously has an excellent pedigree. Good to see photos of him with some of the old masters!

Do you practice Idori and Tanto Dori in your syllabus?

Gary Needham

Likes (received)

thank you for your kind words about our sensei.

Yes before the 3 way splits, Mr. Taman learned techniques from all the current leaders: Mr. Hakoishi, Mr. Suzuki, Mr. Jiro (Otsuka 2nd) and others. So we practice the Wado-ryu Jujutsu techniques as well, such as the 7 Idori, 7 Tantodori and the 10 Kihon Kumite. We also do some fujin goshinjutsu, gyakudori & nagewaza/taoshuwaza. In fact, my dojo specializes on such techniques.

what about your dojo?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3
    thank you for your kind words about our sensei.

We also do some fujin goshinjutsu, gyakudori & nagewaza/taoshuwaza. In fact, my dojo specializes on such techniques.

what about your dojo?
    At our small club dojo we occasionally practice Idori, but not Tanto Dori.

In our national association, Idori and Tanto Dori are not part of he syllabus. We tend to concentrate on Ippone, Ohyo and Kihon Kumite.

Interested to hear more about the "fujin goshinjutsu, gyakudori & nagewaza/taoshuwaza" you refer to as this is new to me.

Can you give me any more details.

Regards

Gary Needham

www.wado-kai-karate.co.uk

Likes (received)

Default Wado check in

Hello all,

Another Wado practioner and E-Budo lurker here.
    Wado is comparatively large here in Europe, so there's lots of us about.

Maybe we could spark up some E-Budo curiosity about Wado. I see too much misinformation flying about regarding Wado (regardless of the various affiliations).

Tim Shaw

Likes (received)

Default Another wado person checking in

A wado thread in here, whatever next.

I lurk in here mostly too though make an odd post.

A wado origins thread and a drawing together of all the different Wado Ryu traditions might be an interesting thread...for me anyway
    Ken Harding

Likes (received)

I too also think the UK (and Europe) has a large contingent of Wado Ryu practitioners, although they do seem very shy on the Internet.

One of my main gripes is about how Wado show carry on and develop, as opposed to being a snapshot of a period of time. Again, this is regardless of affilialition and so forth.

Not too sure on Ben's phrases of ""fujin goshinjutsu, gyakudori & nagewaza/taoshuwaza" but I suspect they are highly jujutsu orientated.

As a guess and this is all it is...

the fujin gohinjutsu refers to set set of drills which are very much 'self-defence' orientated, depending on the year/century they were devised.

Gyakudori I suspect refers to some kind of reversing of the joints as in locking the arm and going against the natral movements of the joints be they arm, fingers and legs for example.

Nagewaza seem to relate to "throwing" techniques. However, to me (without and kind of Judo, Aikido or Jujutsu experience admittedly), throwing techniques are just a nice and friendly manifestation of practising gyakuwaza with a partner. A throw should ideally not occur when a snap or dislocation of an arm or a joint should occur.

After Gooling the word "taoshuwaza" one result pointed in the direction of "takedown". This is a natural progression of our Wado technique, from its roots in Jujutsu, where we follow through with our kuzushi for example to produce visible results and the mindset that we always follow through with a definitive outcome and not just to score a point.
    Gordon Fong

Likes (received)

I posted near the same time you did Ken, who I have seen on other forums.

It would be nice to get some Wado based threads going, that do not then diverge at a tangent.
    Gordon Fong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast