Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Army Combatives Championships

Likes (received)

Default Army Combatives Championships

Here is a video from the 2005 Championships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDaMtAahVk

This year's will be the first weekend of November.

Matt
    1. The defining characteristic of a warrior is the willingness to close with the enemy.
    2. The winner of the hand-to-hand fight in combat is the one whose buddy shows up first with a gun.

Likes (received)

Default Right On!

Matt,
    I saw the book at Borders. Fantastic stuff, great to see that American soldiers are getting solid, cutting edge training.
    Tim Fong

Likes (received)

Default Army

Wow, they look a lot better than the level 1 training I got at IET. Hopefully next year I can go to this tournament. I want to be in fighting shape by then. I'ld sign up now if I thought they'ld let me.

Likes (received)

I competed in the 2006 champoinship. I lost the decision in the finals to a 300+lb monster but I put up a hell of a fight, and was even named "Fighter of the Night" for my efforts. The skill level of this tournament was outstanding its good to see soldiers motivated to train and test themselves.
    LeTerian Bradley

There are no excuses on the mat, in the cage, or on the battlefeild! Train wisely!

Likes (received)

You're kidding me...

Now the military is exploiting thier combat methodologies through 'competition'? A bit unethical to me, that is.... but then again, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later with all the BJJ influence.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

Jason,

Competition has been part of almost every military training around the world and through out the years. Its a great way to have soldiers hone theirs skills, instill a willilngness to get in there and fight, build espirt de corp, and motiviate them to get better.

Russians did it with Cambo, Greeks did it with Pankration, British did it with "milling", we are just following suit.

BTW BJJ has worked well for are troops in the current warzones. I keep bugging Matt to publish more reports involving the use of MAC in Iraq and Afghan.
    LeTerian Bradley

There are no excuses on the mat, in the cage, or on the battlefeild! Train wisely!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chambers
    You're kidding me...

Now the military is exploiting thier combat methodologies through 'competition'? A bit unethical to me, that is.... but then again, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later with all the BJJ influence.
    Oh well, I guess the annual Sniper Competition is out of the question then. Or, maybe the annual SWAT competition. Or, maybe all of the marksmanship/shooting matches we send guys to throughout the year. Or, maybe we don't know what we are talking about.

Competition brings out some attributes that we want in our soldiers.

Likes (received)

Gee whiz,

When I was in we had competitions in everything. I went to the Army Machine Gun Championships and fought in the Post Boxing Matches. Then there was Sniper, Pistol Shooting and after I got out and into the Reserves the Best Ranger Competition.

More power to the Combatives Champions All contests and striving to win make for better soldiers.

William Hazen

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aikibu
    Gee whiz,

When I was in we had competitions in everything. I went to the Army Machine Gun Championships and fought in the Post Boxing Matches. Then there was Sniper, Pistol Shooting and after I got out and into the Reserves the Best Ranger Competition.

More power to the Combatives Champions All contests and striving to win make for better soldiers.

William Hazen
    Ranger Hazen? Is that you?

Likes (received)

Yes, it is the same Ranger Hazen.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler
    Yes, it is the same Ranger Hazen.
    Happy Holidays George to you and your family.

William Hazen

Likes (received)

Wow, some "old" folks here. CPT Perez, are you still a captain or field grade now, sir?

Jason, I am curious about your response above. Can you elaborate, please?

Asia, good job at the comp!

Jeff Cook

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cook
    Wow, some "old" folks here. CPT Perez, are you still a captain or field grade now, sir?

Jason, I am curious about your response above. Can you elaborate, please?

Asia, good job at the comp!

Jeff Cook
    Field Grade in a few months. Currently commanding a company at in Group. I took command after returning from Afghanistan. Good to see you are still out here. Send me a PM - what's your SITREP?

Likes (received)

Default Hello!

It seems like a pretty good crew gathering here. This years tournament went well, next year I think we will need a bigger venue! We also did a demo of higher end training, but we didn't get as far as sim rounds etc. The bottom line is that we have yet to get the word out about what we are really doing. Simply put, we are not just doing BJJ or MMA. We are using these proven training regimens as a stepping stone to Combative ability. The high end of Combatives training is when it is integrated with all of the other eliments of CQB. A Soldier, or a unit of Soldiers need the abilities requisit to the task.

Matt
    1. The defining characteristic of a warrior is the willingness to close with the enemy.
    2. The winner of the hand-to-hand fight in combat is the one whose buddy shows up first with a gun.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aikibu
    Happy Holidays George to you and your family.
    Same to you, Ranger Buddy!
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast