Likes Likes:  0

Thread: High Quality Hanbo, Jo, and Bo?

Likes (received)

Default High Quality Hanbo, Jo, and Bo?

I make hickory bos and sell them because I haven't really found anyone else that makes a high-quality bo, but shipping prices are not realistic to sell very many of them except locally. I am getting ready to make another run but wondering if there's any call for high-quality hickory hanbos and jos (which could more easily be shipped).

Price for jos would be about $20 with $10 shipping most anywhere in the US. hanbos would be $15 with $7 shipping. Jos would be 1 1/4" diameter by 48" long, and hanbos would be 7/8" diameter by 36" long. Both are hickory, hand sanded to 220 grit (any finer and they tend to stick instead of slide), and hand rubbed with a tung oil finish.

Are people pulling their hair out looking for these things, or is the market flooded?

Thanks,

Matt
    Matt Stennett
    Jinenkan Seigi Dojo
    www.jinenkanseigi.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stennett
    I make hickory bos...wondering if there's any call for high-quality hickory hanbos and jos (which could more easily be shipped).

...Are people pulling their hair out looking for these things, or is the market flooded?
    I wouldn't say flooded, especialy on the high-quality end, 'though there are some other suppliers out there, particularly for jo & bo. There's always room for a better mousetrap.

I'll let this thread stay here, at least for a while, so you can get feedback, but if it starts turning into an actual "For Sale" thread I'll have to close it or move it to the approriate sub-forum. (No commercial or direct marketing is allowed here, strictly speaking.)

(Also, FWI, the plural of bo is bo, jo is jo, etc. No adding s or es at the end of Japanese plurals.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thanks Brian -

I had no intent of selling here, just trying to gather some information. I had no idea how badly people were looking for steel kusarifundo until I made a (too small) run, and wanted a reality check before I made anything new in any numbers. I think there are enough "sticks" out on the market, but thought I might as well ask - I haven't seen many in hickory, and I've been pretty impressed with its qualities.

As for the "bos" - I should know better, I'm just getting lazy and mixing language rules. Thanks for the correction - nothing grates my ears more than to hear someone call it a "bo staff"

Matt
    Matt Stennett
    Jinenkan Seigi Dojo
    www.jinenkanseigi.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stennett
    ...nothing grates my ears more than to hear someone call it a "bo staff"
    Yeah, me too. A "staff staff"? No one says "nunchaku flail" or "yumi bow."

I can only assume that "bo staff" got started by someone who didn't want to confuse "bo" with "bow" -- but it still drives me nuts to hear it.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---