Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mythbusters - Ninja Myths

Likes (received)

Default Mythbusters - Ninja Myths

Tonight Mythbusters is going to look at various ninja myths.

Walking on Water
    Catching an arrow
    Catching a sword blade with the hands.

I'll be watching!

You should watch and then critique the testing methods.
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

Default Dale Seago

Dale Seago did a segment on shuko and mutodori (I think). No telling how much will end up on the editing room floor but it oughta be fun to watch.
    シェーンレイトン

Shane Layton
    Bujinkan Shidoshi

Likes (received)

Talking

All 3 myths were busted, I quit!

LOL
    Eric Weil
    "Kuji first, Taijutsu last"

Likes (received)

ninja were the counter culture to samurai hmmm...
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

I hated that they said "buJINkin".
    Justin Lawrence

Likes (received)

I was really looking forward to this show.

Having said that I was very disapointed...

First problem is that they took the approach of "Ninja, hahaha..." From using kung fu flicks to show "ninja" to the way they said bujinkan, to the whole idea of "15th dans" to the whole "nyuk nyuk -nudge-nudge" Ninja advertising in the yellow pages.

The devices they made to bust the myths, trying to walk on water, and even the taijutsu (sorry Mr. Seago...) things like Adam slipping out of ganseki due to dale bending his head ( a kyu mistake)

The whole thing was rather embarrassing...
    They were making a joke out of it from the start...

I shouldn't be surprised...
    Richard Ray Dojo-Cho
    Rick Ray's Warrior Arts Academy
    Bujinkan Makoto Dojo
    Cleveland Ninpo/Ninjutsu
    Makoto Dojo's Youtube Channel

Likes (received)

When I saw the preview just before the show last night with the guy in the AWMA Ninja costume, I said to myself: "Sleep is a better option."

Glad I missed it.

Nothing beats the MythBusters "mentos and diet coke" segment though.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

I know that the shinobi used the shoe pontoons and Muto Dori but just because these guys are scientists(?) doesn't mean that they will automatically be able to do what most likely takes training and years of practice to perfect. I have never heard of "ninjas" catching arrows unless they're referring to Enter the Ninja...lol. But I think Mr. Seago did a good job even though I think he intentionally let that guy out of Ganseke Nage to not hurt him. But after the show was over I kinda wish he did do that Ganseke Nage correctly...lol. I think Mythbusters is a BUST!
    Pablo Torres
    www.bgninpo.com
    Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu
    Bowling Green, Florida

Likes (received)

There are several reasons I didn't like the show.

The first of which is that they took an "ooohh Ninja's hahha" approach from the start. From using cheesy kung fu movies to represent "Ninja" to Jamie saying that now Adam can make chicken noises and other adolescent behavior, To now Ninja's can be found in the yellow pages, to including ask a Ninja and the silly outfits. From the start the approach was one of comics...

I expected since they got dale, that it would be good. Why? Because Dale would set them straight and they wouldn't fall prey to stupid stereotypes and they would actually show things correctly. This didn't happen. In fact we must remember that it is "myth BUSTERS" not "Myth-confirmers" from the outset they are trying to prove the myth wrong.

Examples, walking on water. Dale even told them what those "water shoes" were used for, swampy marshy areas. So why did they ignore that and instead jump into a pool? You might say that the myth was walking on water not walking in a shallow marsh. Then I say okay, Ninja used other types of Mizu Gumo that were inflatable and used an oar to get across, they also used kama ikada (basically a raft and oar). So, why not do proper research? And when told something by someone like Dale, why not USE it?

As has been said before, the arrow catching thing was a bust. The biggest flaw was that that range was way to close. At that range you could have attacked the archer BEFORE the arrow made it to the string! Can a Ninja (or anyone really) catch an arrow? Of course they can and they DO BTW even Ron Duncan... Under the right circumstances. So in history it may have happened that a Ninja caught an arrow, it may have happened many times because the conditions were right so we have the legend (they say myth) but Myth-busters comes along sets up one flawed experiment and call's it BUSTED! Its B.S.

Catching a sword... Another myth-busters flop... First why not put a helmet on dale and swing a sword? Use an iaito and kendo gear.. Use a Bokken or shinai. Can it be done? If you believe Mr. Hatsumi it can, because he said he caught Takamatsu Sensei's live blade in this manner.. If you look at their machine we see many flaws. First does it HAVE to be against shomen giri? The hands cannot move (off line or change angle) If you were to do such a thing it would be better to catch it low near the tsuba instead of higher up as they did. Many flaws, but once again busted...

Last their use of dale.. Or non-use... It seemed like he had what? 4 minutes of on-air time? And what they did use didn't turn out so well IMHO...

Why? They before they even introduced him set the stage by saying modern Ninja must not be concerned with secrecy anymore because they found their "Ninja' in the yellow pages... That pre-frames the audience to think nudge-nudge.. Ha-ha... "Ninja in the yellow pages... Then they call him a "Ninja" throughout... This leads the viewers to assume DALE goes around calling himself a Ninja. To the average person, a person who goes around calling themselves a Ninja advertising in the yellow pages is a loon!

Then they say he is a 15th Dan... Great... We all know that any martial artist that hears that will start to laugh telling whoever is around them (there are no 15th dans in martial arts...) and it further brings down Dale's credibility to the viewing public. Then we have Dale's demo with Adam. Now, this is a tough spot, how do you not hurt Adam, and still make it look good? I personally think Dale would have been better off making the movements more obvious. Even Bruce Lee said that in the movies you have to make the movements bigger so the audience can see what your doing. Dales movements looked like nothing was being done, the whole process looked sloppy, like Adam, was just stumbling around and dale didn't look very "martial arty"

Okay Okay.. I know I know.. It is BECAUSE Dale is good that it looked that way, but there is a difference between REAL fighting and movie fighting. Real fighting on screen looks bad.. End result is that most people will not be very impressed with what Dale did. And the ganseki part... Well you CAN do a proper ganseki and nut hurt someone. And wouldn't it figure that that was the part they used.

In the end, I am not ripping a Dale. Kudo's to him. It was a tough spot to be in. I feel the myth busters didn't use Dale as well as they could have and it would have been better seeing Dale and his students instead of Dale and Adam. To Dale thank you for trying, I like what you said when you were actually on screen. My disappointment is with the Myth busters and good old discovery...

To date, I would have to say that the best representation of takamatsu-den was Tanemura Soke on Discovery and Steve Hayes when they did the Ninja against S.E.A.L.

Ahhh... Hollweird...
    Richard Ray Dojo-Cho
    Rick Ray's Warrior Arts Academy
    Bujinkan Makoto Dojo
    Cleveland Ninpo/Ninjutsu
    Makoto Dojo's Youtube Channel

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by katana73
    I know that the shinobi used the shoe pontoons and Muto Dori but just because these guys are scientists(?) doesn't mean that they will automatically be able to do what most likely takes training and years of practice to perfect. I have never heard of "ninjas" catching arrows unless they're referring to Enter the Ninja...lol. But I think Mr. Seago did a good job even though I think he intentionally let that guy out of Ganseke Nage to not hurt him. But after the show was over I kinda wish he did do that Ganseke Nage correctly...lol. I think Mythbusters is a BUST!

99% of that was pretty bad, but...

the walking across the blue-goo did look fun.
    John Dolan

Likes (received)

Dale did a fine job,

It was great seeing Adam volunteer himself into being an uke and getting tossed around a bit. I was very excited to see my friends watching an episode featuring the Bujinkan. Even though it was maybe only a 3rd of the program, I think it did justice to the art.

One thing that caught my attention regarding the arrow catch is that I have seen footage of Ronald Duncan catching arrows shot from a recurve bow, not a high powered compound bow as used in the test, and with considerable distance between he and the archer...

They should have had the guy from ask a ninja try and catch an arrow with the split in his tabi... Even the occasional severed toe can be entertaining.
    Chris S. Aitken
    Somewhere in the Bujinkan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MakotoDojo

To date, I would have to say that the best representation of takamatsu-den was Tanemura Soke on Discovery and Steve Hayes when they did the Ninja against S.E.A.L.

Ahhh... Hollweird...
    Have you got a link or series and episode number for the Tanemura discovery show. The SKH episode was crap.
    'Saru mo ki kara ochiru.' is a Japanese kotowaza or proverb. 'Even monkeys fall from trees.' or essentially 'Nobody's perfect'

Gary Brewer

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kikbaq
    Dale did a fine job,

It was great seeing Adam volunteer himself into being an uke and getting tossed around a bit. I was very excited to see my friends watching an episode featuring the Bujinkan. Even though it was maybe only a 3rd of the program, I think it did justice to the art.

One thing that caught my attention regarding the arrow catch is that I have seen footage of Ronald Duncan catching arrows shot from a recurve bow, not a high powered compound bow as used in the test, and with considerable distance between he and the archer...

They should have had the guy from ask a ninja try and catch an arrow with the split in his tabi... Even the occasional severed toe can be entertaining.
    They used a compound bow? Holy smoke! Even if they turned the tension way down, the compound bow will still more than likely sling an arrow faster than a traditional bow. Not a very "scientific" attempt at reproducing the technique if you ask me.

I'll be honest, I take Mythbusters with a grain of salt most of the time too.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo

Likes (received)

The distance between the mechanical hand and the bow were ridiculous also.
    For what its worth, the Budo Taijutsu parts were the best to watch, the rest of the segment wasn't very good, except watching Adam sink and crash every time he tried to water-walk.

The blue-goo he ran across was cool, but like Jamie said on the show (paraphrasing) the cornstarch would be a near impossible commodity because corn was first introduced to Japan in the 1600s...so who at the time would have a moat of the stuff around their castle? It just took Adam into an even more ridiculous direction for the rest of the show.

I remember watching the SKH segment about 2 years ago when it first aired, it was alright...It was more fun watching the SEAL Team seize the house than the 3 or so days it took for SKH to infiltrate it. But one has to admit he earned the trust of the guys protecting his target just enough to get him.

Btw, does anybody remember the old myth of throwing shuriken from the split of the tabi, or climbing rope with it?
    Chris S. Aitken
    Somewhere in the Bujinkan

Likes (received)

Default Tanemura Sensei on Discovery Channel

The link to the DVD is here: http://shopping.discovery.com/produc...D=11233E65E680

He was in the Way of the Warrior episode.
    Bill Velto

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast