Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kuniba-Ha Shito-ryu & Goshindo

Likes (received)

Default Kuniba-Ha Shito-ryu & Goshindo

Hello E-Budo friends,

I wonder, is there any old thread about the syllabus and techniques of Kuniba-Ha Shito-ryu Karate and Goshindo?

I ask this because, I read somewhere in the Net that Kuniba sensei taught different things inside Japan and outside Japan. If I am not mistaken (my memory became foggy these days), the Kuniba-Ha inside Japan is more into the Karate aspect, with some self-defense (Goshindo) techniques, while the American students of Kuniba sensei were taught Goshin Budo Jujutsu, Mugai-ryu Iaido and more traditional Okinawan Weaponry in addition to Shito-ryu. I wonder if this is correct or not. Also, could anybody tell me more about the differences between the Goshin Budo as taught in USA and the Goshindo as taught in Japan.

Many thanks!
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Ben,
    This is my understanding of it, though I am prepared to be corrected.
    Goshin Budo was the name that Richard Baillargeon (who also held a 4th Dan in Ju Jitsu) choose to represent the Ju Jitsu taught within the National Ju Jitsu Union which was part of Seishin Kai Karate in the USA, at least according to the head instructors manual. Goshindo was meant to be the application of Karate techniques to self defence. I could probably get a more in depth answer for you, I will mention this thread to some one who may well be able to provide a much more detailed answer.

Regards
    Chris Norman

Likes (received)

Thank you for the info Chris san. I am waiting for other experts to share their information here. One of my teachers is also a Godan in Goshin Budo Jujutsu, when he come here to my country for another seminar I'll ask him to show some. He is in the USA. BTW, my Club name is also Goshinbudo Jujutsu Indonesia, but I never learned Kuniba-Ha Goshinbudo/Goshindo. It just a coincidence. THe main art taught in my Club are Wado-ryu Jujutsu Kenpo Karatedo and the Dentokan version of Hakko-ryu Jujutsu, along with many waza from modern (Gendai) Ju-Jitsu from USA.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Default Kuniba Ha Goshindo and Goshin Budo

Hi Ben,
    This may shed more light on your original question: Dr. James Herndon's article (1989) “The birth of a new martial art" in Inside Karate, Vol. 10, No. 12, December 1989, pages 26-27:

' What Kuniba taught [as Goshindo?] in Japan was the bunkai that related to the drilling of clasical karate kata from Motobu Ha Shito Ryu which combined the Motobu ha Kempo and Mabuni ha Shito Ryu enriched to some extent by Shogo Kuniba's training in other arts' (1989:26).

'Kuniba Ha Goshin Budo as taught in America was responsive to needs of audience and consisted of a combination of judo/ju jutsu and aikido in an unlimited array of self defence scenarios' (1989:27).

It thus seem that what Shogo Kuniba did in his Goshin budo as taught in America was experiment with self defence scenarios using a combination of the various arts that he had learned and that Kuniba Ha Goshindo in Japan was working with and enriching the Bunkai of traditional Karate Kempo.

Regards
    Chris Norman

Likes (received)

Thank you Chris san for the information. I'd love to see some techniques of both Goshindo flavors, I hope Hobbs sensei will show some to me when he visit us.

Likes (received)

I have some friends that trained in Kuniba's Goshindo in the 80's and from what I know (which is limited), Mr. Kuniba used his understanding of Karate, Jujutsu and Aikido to form "kata" that taught these defense moves to people in the US in the 70's. He called it "Goshin Budo". He later honed it down to 5 kata and called it "Goshindo". There seems to be a distinct difference between the folks that learned the 70's Goshin Budo and the later 80's generation of Goshindo. I have been told that the earlier "Goshin Budo" seemed to be more "hard-line" Jujutsu / Karate Bunkai type training and the later "Goshindo" training was more "Aiki-like". I can't swear by all of this but this is what I have been told. Hope it helps.
    Darrell Collins
    Nippon Kobudo Rengokai

Likes (received)

I used to own a book by Darrel Craig sensei, showing line drawings. He said the techniques is from "Junse Goshin Budo Jujutsu". Any similarities between techniques from that book with the Goshindo of Kuniba sensei?